Would you...

Associate
If you're just running stuff at XMP/default then go ahead, the worse primary timings won't account for much outside of latency-sensitive benchmarks. If you've turned the B die kit then you'd be missing out on some performance, yeah.

Mixing RAM is fine and it will run at the slower kits speed

Man of Honour
It might be alright, it might not. Same thing with mixing RAM on any platform, tbh.

And if it did work, would it be worth, presumably, running at lower CAS to get 32GB?
What is your usage of the PC?

If you're running out of memory right now then yes, you're very unlikely to notice the timings in games (a few fps at most), but if you're running out it can have a big impact in overall smoothness and especially the stutters & lows.

Soldato
OP
It might be alright, it might not. Same thing with mixing RAM on any platform, tbh.

What is your usage of the PC?

If you're running out of memory right now then yes, you're very unlikely to notice the timings in games (a few fps at most), but if you're running out it can have a big impact in overall smoothness and especially the stutters & lows.
I was playing Crusader Kings 3 earlier and during some combat it was getting almost unplayable and I noticed my RAM usage was really high in Afterburner, possibly capping out or very close to.

Associate
Soldato
Stick with 16GB 8Pack DDR4 3600 CAS16 or mix that with 16GB DDR4 3600 CAS18 to have 32GB?

Would it even work mixing RAM like that? I'm not sure how temperamental Z370 was/is with mixing RAM.
And if it did work, would it be worth, presumably, running at lower CAS to get 32GB?

Put a wanted advertisement in the MM, you should be able to get a 2x16gb set for around that.

Sell your old 8 Pack kit afterwards and it'll actually work out cheaper in the end.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
What I didn't make clear was that I already own both sets of RAM, the Lexar is just sat around in a box.
But I don't want to install them just to find it makes the system unstable.
Not impossible, but memory corruption to the degree that it breaks your OS or corrupts your drivers usually needs a lot more than just playing around with some new sticks.

If you have data that is super important, I'd assume you already have backups anyway.

Back
Top Bottom