WoW Morals

Soldato
Ok long story short, i was in WC the other day with a group including one guy i'd quested with a couple times before, not guildy or friend, who was trying to collect the fang armour set.

The fang gloves dropped and both of us selected need, i did so because my druid can wear them and they were better than my current gloves, he had a go at me as i won them.

Now when i got back i lvl'd up my leathercrafting and found i could create gloves better than the fangs one, so i put them up on the AH for a pile of cash. Additionally i found someone selling another pair for a stupidly low buyout, so i bought them too and relisted.

Now i logged in today to this guy having a go at me saying i was a liar for hitting need instead of greed because he'd seen them on the AH :p

Now my opinion is i was more than entitled to grab them and also put them on the AH if its my choice, its only a low lvl set anyway and he was telling me how a guildy gave him 40G ready for a mount, hence i need the cash :p

So did i do wrong? do any of you actually play WoW with morals or all you all greedy sods like me :D any stories worse than mine?

Associate
You were in the right, as you only rolled on the gloves, because you wanted to wear them. But in the end he could have benefited more from them, as you did end up auctioning them.

Soldato
OP
Jokester said:
Why didn't you equip them there and then?

Personally if I had heard that about another player I would be hesitant to group with them to be honest.

Jokester

No idea, i always go through my bags once i'm out of action and back in thunder bluff.

Just out of interest whats the story on one character selecting need for the same items, e.g. the only warrior in the group selecting need for every sword purely because only he can use them? i had a guy get 4 green swords in one run because of that, surely its no different?

Soldato
So he entered the instance telling you that he was doing it for the gloves? Did you tell him you were going to roll on them also? Plus putting them on AH after rolling need was out of order,but then you know this I suspect.The real question is,do you care?

Soldato
OP
ExRayTed said:
So he entered the instance telling you that he was doing it for the gloves? Did you tell him you were going to roll on them also? Plus putting them on AH after rolling need was out of order,but then you know this I suspect.The real question is,do you care?

No he was doing it for quests too, i shared a sweet quest that gave him a very very nice weapon too, the gloves were a bonus because he had the chest item.

I do care, i'm just debating if i care enough to give him the spare pair i found that haven't sold, was hoping to get some spiritual enlightenment from you fine folk :p and get clued up on instance ethics.

Associate
You were right to need them since it wanst until later that you didnt need them. so at the point of needing u did actually need... lol

what you should have done though was offer to sell them to him, or even gave them to him that would have been nice and noble

Caporegime
chimaera said:
Just out of interest whats the story on one character selecting need for the same items, e.g. the only warrior in the group selecting need for every sword purely because only he can use them? i had a guy get 4 green swords in one run because of that, surely its no different?

Haha thats BS. Need=Can and Will Use. If you weren't going to use those gloves, you should have rolled greed - since you made a mistake, its fair enough though if I was the other guy I'd be very annoyed. Personally I'd have given the other guy the gloves the moment I realised I wasn't going to use them.

Having said that, I hate all this NBG crap. BoE items=gold which everyone needs. The important thing though is to stick to the rules that you agree with everyone beforehand.

Associate
Sorry but you should have mailed them to the guy, or at least asked if he wanted them. Wether or not you needed the money, you both put the same effort in to kill the boss to get the item. And, for all he knows, you need rolled the gloves for the sole purpose of selling them, he doesn't know you so doesn't really have any reason to trust what you're saying.

I've been screwed out fairly expensive BoE's before and noticed them on the AH when I really needed the item, its not nice. I've never harassed the offending parties, just put them on my "**** list" and make sure I never group with them again. When I played WoW it was always with some good close friends, if I came across them again i'd tell the group leader i'd leave if he didn't, which usually ended up with them kicking him first and asking why later. Someone who gets a bad reputation like that will find getting good groups hard.

I wouldn't worry about it much being a WC item, its not an important drop and the guy will forget about it in a few days. Just try not to put instanced items up on the AH in the future if you've out rolled someone. :p

Soldato
That's why I exclusively do instances with my guild only. We agree beforehand who does what and who gets what, and end up doing it a few times until everyone gets what they want. I only seem to have bad experiences with pick up groups.

Soldato
OP
Yeah i think i'll put it down as a lesson learned, i've got the spare pair i bought which didn't sell so i might be diplomatic and give them to him.

scorza said:
Haha thats BS. Need=Can and Will Use. If you weren't going to use those gloves, you should have rolled greed - since you made a mistake, its fair enough though if I was the other guy I'd be very annoyed. Personally I'd have given the other guy the gloves the moment I realised I wasn't going to use them.

Seriously how is that BS? a guy can roll need for 4 swords purely because he's the only sword user in the group, its obvious he wont use all 4 and 3 will be on the AH. Your point is valid however since i was intending to use them at the time its also not applicable to this situation.

This is what i'm trying to understand, i'd rather not cause this trouble again but it seems to be one rule for one thing and something totally different for another.

Ok another case i've found myself in...i had a dagger wielding shaman, and was told that i couldn't roll for a dagger because a rogue in the group would be able to make more use of it, so i let them have it.

I swear instance looting is done so badly in WoW, i never know what to do.

Soldato
I wouldn't play with you again if you did that to me. The whole reason for the need or greed system is that you only roll need if you actually do need the item, otherwise everyone gets a chance to roll.

Associate
to op, what you did was perfectly fine, but then you have to look at the situation from the other guy's perspective, he saw you roll, need, but he didn't know you crafted some better gloves since then

to him you're basicly a 'ninja looter' so this is really a situation you have to explain to him i think

Soldato
OP
theo said:
to op, what you did was perfectly fine, but then you have to look at the situation from the other guy's perspective, he saw you roll, need, but he didn't know you crafted some better gloves since then

to him you're basicly a 'ninja looter' so this is really a situation you have to explain to him i think

yeah i'm going to send him the spare pair i found on the AH, in hindsight i wish i'd given him a heads up that there was a real cheap pair going on the AH, so now i'll lose out on the money i paid for its a small price to keep a rep intact.

Zefan said:
If it were in EVE you'd get praise from all round.

Maybe its time for a change of scene :p

Bry

Bry

Associate
personally i probably wouldn't party with you again. The way every instance i have ever ran is, if you need the you equip it there and then. Otherwise its a greed.
Need means you need to wear it right now otherwise you do not have a need for it and are just being 'greedy' so you greed for it.

Soldato
OP
Bry said:
personally i probably wouldn't party with you again. The way every instance i have ever ran is, if you need the you equip it there and then. Otherwise its a greed.
Need means you need to wear it right now otherwise you do not have a need for it and are just being 'greedy' so you greed for it.

as i said...twice, i needed it at the time, i go through my bags after i'm out the instance rather than mess around changing gear mid-fight.

Anyway i've sent him the spare pair so hopefully he'll take previous help i've given as a sign and let it lie.

Sleepery said:
Yeah, mail them to him. You wouldn't be on here asking if you were comfortable with what you'd done.

You're right, just needed a nudge in the right direction :p

Soldato
I only need if I intend to equip the item there and then.

If I really want the item and nobody else needs it, (ie - for an alt, or a tanking piece for my fury warrior) then I will ask and also offer compensation. I'd never need on something that I didn't intend to equip, then flog them in the AH rather than give them to the guy who actually needed them in the first place.

It may have been a genuine mistake but from his point of view you nicked them and flogged them.

Back
Top Bottom