• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Wow, Nvidia have banned Hardware Unboxed from receiving review samples...

Caporegime
As per title, Nvidia have banned Hardware Unboxed (HU) from receiving Founders Edition (not AIB cards, of course) review samples in advance due to them believing that Hardware Unboxed unfairly focus on rasterization performance vs RTX in their GPU reviews... https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/kavim2/nvidia_have_banned_hardware_unboxed_from/

Considering that HU is one of the largest Techtubers that a lot of people consider reliable, this is a really bad PR move from Nvidia as it shows that they are trying to bully reviewers into dancing to their tune, instead of allowing independent journalism to take its course. If they do this to a channel this large, can you imagine what they do to smaller channels? Some Techtubers must be petrified of situations like this.

The crazy thing is that as decent as the new AMD cards are, Nvidia are arguably still overall the performance leaders, so there is no need for them to do petty things like this. It reminds me of Intel-style desperation tactics.

For shame Nvidia... for shame. :o

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Hmm, what are the odds that Nvidia reverse this decision in the face of the PC community backlash, publicity from tech sites and the resulting bad PR? I'd say it's not too far-fetched...

Whilst leaning towards amd for my next gpu I would have considered nvidia if supply stabilised first but after this... Nah team green will get a miss from me

I wouldn't go this far. Pretty much all tech hardware companies do douchebaggy things at some point.

Caporegime
OP
Not only that it sends a pretty clear message to the other reviewers... You better think twice how you review our products because if we can do this to them we can do it to you.
Imagine if all the major reviewers got together in a moment of solidarity and boycotted reviewing Nvidia FE cards... I wonder what they would do then!

Caporegime
OP
Explain to me why they have any right to any pre-release product for review? ........ Oh yeah, they don't. ANY company can CHOOSE who they send FREE pre-release products to. Again, I do not think it's a smart move from Nvidia but it's their free choice. I really don't think HU need you to worry about their revenue streams :p
But do you understand the principle of why this is a crappy move from Nvidia?

Caporegime
OP
Hmm, what are the odds that Nvidia reverse this decision in the face of the PC community backlash, publicity from tech sites and the resulting bad PR? I'd say it's not too far-fetched...
Hah I think that it will play out exacly as I immediately thought. Petty and vindictive behaviour from Nvidia will generate massive PR backlash from techtubers and the PC hardware community, and lead to a swift reversal.

Companies, like all bullies, are generally cowards the moment they are challenged and exposed for what they are.

It still won't stop me buying their GPU's, but I will certainly take some satisfaction from seeing them eat humble pie! :D

Caporegime
OP
The irony is both Nvidia and Intel make really good hardware. If they just let it stand on its own merits rather than let the corporate psychopaths spin things they would probably be unassailable. Imagine both companies seeking their hardware for affordable but still profitable prices, AMD would be out of the game.

I do wonder if, like some politicians, there are still senior corporate leaders who haven't caught up with the realities of the internet and the transparency that brings today?
I completely and wholeheartedly agree. Companies that act with dignity allow allow their products to do the talking reap their own rewards.

Caporegime
OP
So, Nvidia reversed the decision and emailed HW to say sorry... lol... so predictable https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDI...from-receiving-GPU-review-units.509177.0.html

All of you saying Nvidia doesn't care about bad PR or respond to pressure from the community, I hope this was a lesson and that you realise that collectively we (the community including techtubers) are not as completely toothless as you think. :)

Nvidia need a management shakeup, and I think Jensen is at the root of all of this. He doesn't, from all that I have seen, seem like a good or attentive people manager who has chosen the right people to manage under him and to me it's clear that the corporate culture has slowly festered under his leadership during the decades that he has led them.

I think he needs to step back, let someone new steer the ship and take more of a backseat role with less direct control over corporate policy.

All the righteous indignation does make me laugh though. As soon as those Nvidia cards are in stock the same people bashing them in this thread will be buying. It's like slagging off the Tories in public yet voting for them in private.
I'd love it if people went to AMD.
Will make getting a 3080 much easier.

You can criticise a political party and still vote for them if you think they are still better than the alternative... but anyway lets get some perspective here. Nvidias behaviour here in trying to pressure HWU is shady and they fully deserve some bad PR for these shenanigans, but it's not like they have just been exposed for using child slave labour. Lets keep things in context and lets all give Nvidia flack, but to me at least it's hardly a situation for outright boycotting their products.

Nvidia still for now make the best GPU's, and when spending close to a grand or more you want to get the best performance for your money. If 'everyone went to AMD' it would do the market and technological progress no favours and AMD don't even have the stock to cater to everyone anyway. They can't even supply the market share they have now, never mind everyone. It would be a disaster.

It's enough to see the tech community unifying over this and holding them to account and I hope this is something that continues well into the future. The realisation that techtubers (backed by their community base) and also Redditors, in combination with Twitter etc, have the power to get a strong negative message directly to millions of people very very quickly like wildfire may trigger genuine improvements in behaviour in a lot of companies now that they know they can't get away with this kind of thing so easily any more.

I believe we are witnessing a new and positive shift in the power balance of the tech media vs the corporations. :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Nvidia should stop giving reviewers free cards and give them the option of buying the cards insted.
Dont like that i have to buy hardware and reviewers get it for free.
Are you seriously telling us that you do not understand the clear difference between yourself and a professional reviewer with a userbase of millions?

Caporegime
OP
i agree with him, free stuff potentially means the company/ies sending the free stuff has a vested interest and potential control over it. imo reviewers should source there own cards like in the old days. way less interference then. and less of this type of issue happening.

are you seriously telling us you condone that type of behaviour from any company?
So let me get this straight... you're implying that because I understand why major reviewers get sent cards for free to review, that this means that I condone grossly biased and impartial reviews? Interesting leap of logic you are making there.

What I am suggesting is that it's ok for reviewers should be sent cards for free AND still be able make unbiased and impartial reviews. They are sent cards for free obviously because they have access to and influence over millions of customers, so Nvidia and AMD want to make damn sure that they get their hands on one.

Nvidias's latest move and the resulting backlash shows that reviewers like HWU et al are not toe-ing Nvidias corporate line just because they get free cards to review.

Caporegime
OP
So a pro reviewer should get free stuff? They should source it from a retail outlet like everyone else. That way they dont get the golden sample.
Ok, working by this kindergarten logic, if they "had to buy one at retail like everyone else" then how would they be able to review a card and let people know how it performs before it is released, if they can't get one at retail for weeks after launch?

who says they are unbiased and impartial, how do you know that? because they tell you, what and youtubers don't lie too? sure most of them are upfront about it but not all of them. why do you care that they get free cards? nothing in life is free, so why cant they rent them/pay for them like the rest of the world does, even if they get them first. you spend to accumulate and if that means a less biased system and if that means reviewers have to pay out of their own profit then so be it. the ones with millions; like Linus said will see no impact what so ever.

we have done this crappy system for 20 years now and it hasn't changed, but got worse, maybe its time for a change...

Your post just sounds like you are somewhat bitter that professional reviewers get cards for free whereas you have to pay for them and makes you seem less concerned with the journalistic integrity and instead more about your own financial situation vs theirs.

Caporegime
OP
because you don't agree you think my logic is that of pre school, dude grow up. you cant always agree with people in life doesn't mean you have to result to name calling.

not really, whatever you seem to think id prefer the industry to change as its pretty shady at best. just because you cant see it don't make it not true. I'm not bitter about paying in life, i pay for everything else why would i be bitter about buying a gpu? ive been buying them since the mx440 days ^_^
I didn't call you any names. :confused: Anyway lets just agree to disagree as I think we are operating on slightly different wavelengths here.

Caporegime
OP
Jesus. HWU are now starting to let Nvidia have way too much of an easy ride. https://www.youtube.com/post/UgzSuOIE7iCAx35UIO94AaABCQ

Bryan Del Rizzo from Nvidia has reached out a second time to apologize and asked us to share this with you. We appreciate Nvidia reaching out again and looking to resolve this issue with us and the community. We've already accepted their apology and just want to move on now BDR's email is copied below:

---------------------

Hi Steve - Thanks for your note. I just wanted to say again how sorry I am for my original email. I overstepped my bounds and it’s as simple as that. I love seeing all the ways reviewers test and report on our products and I value your contributions. Suggesting that I would withhold samples because I didn’t agree with your commentary is simply inexcusable and crossed the line. I failed myself, my colleagues, and the amazing community of reviewers I consider my friends. You all work so hard in service of the gaming industry we love – you deserved better from me. I hope you will forgive my mistake and give me the opportunity to be of service to you in the future. It would be great if you can share this with your fans so they know how I feel. Thanks, BDR

---------------------

I mean seriously HWU, stop falling for this PR bullpoo and giving Nvidia this kind of airtime. The only reason they are apologizing like this is because of the community backlash, otherwise they would have carried on regardless.

Caporegime
OP
While I'm not a fan of Nvidia's business morals I do believe that HUB is doing the right thing here. The PC scene is enough of a kindergarten already and someone has to be the adult and lead with example. It may where well be a PR stunt or whatever but once you've fallen to "their" level there is no going back. Someone has to be the first to stop the mudslinging.
They can graciously accept an insincere apology, without any mud slinging and without publishing it on their channel... that's exactly what Nvidias PR department wants them to do help to reduce all of the blowback. They are now pandering to Nvidia.

Caporegime
OP
They're not pandering. Steve just said here's an email we recieved from BDR, we want to move on now. People form their own conclusions and looking at the comment section they're as expected for nvidia.
The wording is pure cringe and HWU, by posting it with no opinion or statement, could be seen to accept and enable that kind of ass-covering behaviour. To me, they weakened their position by doing this.

To me it reads that BDR is scared of losing his job. His covid fatigue comment likely meant he never read the email pushed up to him which is mind boggling for a global PR boss.

Jensen will be likely directly involved in this now due to the scale of the exposure... they will be having meetings to best discuss how to lessen the PR damage and word the emails as carefully as possible.

Caporegime
OP
Yeah with no Christmas card or Christmas party invite.

Steve did mention there is a couple who don't like them or him at the PR team. I'd like to know more about that if I'm honest lol
Yeah, I can easily imagine the scenario. The Nvidia PR team, who are since years well used to muscling youtubers through their influence to get their own way, started over the course of some months to get annoyed with HWU not toeing the line. That annoyance then started to build up and turn a bit vindictive and they thought they could get away with some strongarm tactics. Pretty sure they won't be making that mistake again.

Back
Top Bottom