WPA2 security possibly comprised - disclosure soon.

Caporegime
It's not really worth a mad panic over - if you fix the client then it doesn't matter what the AP does.

The issue as far as APs are concerned are when they can act as stations - when they are repeaters or mesh nodes, for example. It also seems to affect 802.11r since mitigation against the problem on an unpatched AP involves disabling that.

TL;DR - If you update your clients then you're fine. Android is the most at-risk platform.

https://doublepulsar.com/regarding-krack-attacks-wpa2-flaw-bf1caa7ec7a0

Soldato
Not sure what good router/AP updates will do unless you're using 802.11r (Fast Transition). Looks like these exploits are centred around successful AP spoof/man in the middle attacks first.
Unless you're using some sort of WIPS to mitigate these attacks, then I'm guessing the only line of defence is patching the client if I've understood what I've read correctly?

Associate
Just updated my three UniFi AP-Pro access points. @randal Mine also isn't automatically being picked up, now upgrading mine from v3.7.55.6308 to the new and secure (for now!) 3.9.3.7537. I just wonder when it will be safe to turn automatic updates back on...

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

:( Makes me really happy - forced to change all of our Unifi access points for Aerohive ones by our head office, and no firmware update in sight from Aerohive.

Edit:
Full disclosure site now live
https://www.krackattacks.com/
Funny you mention that, just heard on a podcast today that they had just finished swapping out Aerohive for Unifi...

Soldato
The fact that the devices need patches is kinda worse - how many Android phones either get updates stupidly late or not at all? I know my Galaxy S5 got updates about a year after they were released, which is why I moved to a custom ROM.

Soldato
Asus should patch it they tend to be good.

You have got to be kidding. They got roasted in the US and forced to agree to 20 years of code audits because they were beyond useless. Read the settlement: https://www.ftc.gov/system/files/documents/cases/160222asusagree.pdf

The exploit it real, it's got fixes from Mikrotik and Ubiquiti quite quickly, others should follow, eventually. How long will those patches take to actually be deployed at any significant level? I'd suggest many years.

Associate
I already use my own VPN when connecting to insecure WiFi networks but the problem is going to be at home - I can no longer trust my own WiFi network is secure. TP-Link haven't yet responded regarding software updates, and the fact that their website and forum don't even use HTTPS doesn't give me much hope.

Exactly... The company, doesn't know much about the vulnerability. Check their status here from the list of companies who responded in this blog.
https://www.purevpn.com/blog/krack-wifi-security-fixes/

Soldato
It only affects devices which are connected via wifi. The vulnerability allows them to see traffic between accesspoint/wifi to device. If you have a phone connected via wifi but not using it then the traffic is going to be very minimal (sort of nothing to see here)
Its more of a concern if you are logging into banking then your connection may not be so private.

I knew about this ages ago, also if it bothers you so much try not to use mobile data too because you would be a fool to think your traffic is totally private. A VPN won't solve the issue either as its not private before getting to the VPN same goes for WIFI.

Caporegime
You shouldn't be trusting the network to secure your applications anyway, so really you aren't going to be any less secure as a result of this. Maybe people could browse your open NAS shares or print to your printer, but all the important services you use are protected by TLS.

Back
Top Bottom