Wrong cable from PSU to Graphics card?

Associate
Hey guys, so I have had trouble getting my Graphics card up and running. It seems to be a power issue, as the motherboard can tell there is a GPU attached, and the fans are not spinning.

I noticed that the pins on the cable from the PSU to the GPU do not seem to match. The PSU came with two cables, each one with two connectors - one labelled PCIe and one labelled SLI ready.

Here is a photograph of the pins on the cable, and the slot on the GPU. As you can see, the top left has a square slot, whereas the cable has a curved pin. Does this indicate that this is the wrong cable for this GPU?

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=64caf6f96fcc4db434a8782a3af78c75&oe=58A27A8B

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=c0e966ed94cee8e8e7ba4c6323d5be36&oe=58A27DD7

Thanks.

Associate
OP
In the BIOS, when I go into Too/Graphics card information - it says there is an NVIDIA GPU attached in the correct PCI slot, running at x16 native.

I think the card is seated correctly. How do I go about updating the BIOS?

Soldato
What card have you got and what PSU?
Unlikely but it might not be getting enough power.. do you have a bios speaker, it will make a right racket if the card is not getting enough power.

From your photo's they are both 8 pin pci power plugs, the only difference being one is a full 8 pin, and the other a 6+2, which is essentially the same thing.

Soldato
Also, is the power cable for the graphics card 'clipped in' properly, sometimes they can 'feel' like they are in, but they should click when fully inserted, which can take a bit of pressure, not a forcefull amount but but more than you might expect if it's a tight fit.

Associate
OP
By the way, I do have a speaker installed and there is always one short beep on startup. Which according to the ASUS website means "VGA detected, No keyboard detected" which is odd, since I do have a keyboard connected via USB that is allowing me to input commands...

Associate
OP
Ah, I see. I have just turned my rig on - and I have noticed that the fans are indeed turning - and then stop turning after about 10 - 15 seconds. So power must be going to the card.

Full list of components:

Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2400MHz
CPU: Intel 6700k
GPU: GTX 1070
SSD: Samsung 250GB 750 EVO
HDD: Not functional at the moment
PSU: Super Flower Golden Green HX 750W "80 Plus Gold" Semi-Modular Power Supply
Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H80i v2 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Hang on, so if your monitor is plugged into the graphics card, and not the motherboards dvi/hdmi output.

And you can access BIOS, then what's the actual issue, does it load into windows ok? Does it display properly?

Modern graphics card fans don't spin unless the card gets warm, other than maybe a quick spin when you boot the pc up.

Associate
OP
I have just loaded up XCOM2 (not a particularly graphically intensive game), and the framerate is very slow at 1080p max settings. The card is definitely not functioning correctly.

My monitor is not plugged into the graphics card. I am only using a HDMI cable to connect to the motherboard. Is that the problem?

Soldato
Ok, how does it perform with a different game?
Does it perform ok in general use, say when surfing the net or watching YouTube or whatever?

Also, have you gone to the nvidia website and downloaded the latest official up to date drivers for the card?

Associate
OP
Yes, the PC is fine in general use. With different games it is the same - modern graphically intensive games are a very slow frame rate, but I can play the original Witcher game at 1080p resolution just fine.

Back
Top Bottom