Wrong cable from PSU to Graphics card?

Soldato
Interesting, that card should destroy any game at 1080p resolution.

I'm still suspecting a software issue rather than a hardware issue, as it seems the PC works and it can play games, albeit choppy.

Could you confirm you're running up to date motherboard and graphics drivers?

Soldato
MikeNashFlash;30497192 said:
My monitor is not plugged into the graphics card. I am only using a HDMI cable to connect to the motherboard. Is that the problem?

This is your problem, your monitor should be connected to the graphics card.

Associate
Is it one those 0db strix cards that doesnt spin its fans till it reaches a certain temp?

Normal for them to start turning then not. As said above. Plug the hdmi into your 1070

Soldato
Still, it won't hurt to download fresh drivers from nvidia website, as the disk that came with the card is probably several versions out of date.

Associate
It should be pretty obvious which way around the 8-pin connector should go - it has a clip, there's only one way in which the clip will actually clip onto something.

Also, yes, you really do need to plug your monitor into the graphics card itself, not the onboard (motherboard) graphics...

I guess this shows how you should never assume things when answering questions!

Associate
OP
Thanks for your responses and advice.

I have plugged the HDMI cable into the card and there is no signal going to the monitor.

I have installed drivers for the MOBO and VFX card - but there are many different drivers - how do I know which ones are the correct versions - or does it not matter? I have installed mbi and geforce drivers for the VFX card.

Associate
Plug the monitor back into your motherboard.
Download the latest drivers from nVidia's site.
Uninstall all nVidia drivers first, to give you a clean(er) slate.
Now install the drivers you downloaded above, and shut down.
Move the HDMI cable to the graphics card now, and boot it up again into Windows. You should have a working display, if not then move the cable back to the motherboard.
Run the Device Manager (find it in your start menu, or start>run>devmgmt.msc)
Under 'Display adapters', I think you should have something like 'Intel HD Graphics' and 'NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070' - is that the case? No exclamation marks or anything unusual next to it?

If all the above is correct, it really should be working. Can you try a different way of connecting it to the monitor - DVI for example?

I find this really quite odd because even without drivers, your graphics card should function as a basic adapter and still display something.

Associate
To get the keyboard detected during startup, you need to change settings in the BIOS for it to wait for USB devices.

High end motherboards are able to detect keyboard/mouse USB devices and only activate them, or wait for all USB devices to activate.

It will increase your boot time only slightly.

Associate
OP
I have tried taking the step by step method listed above.

I have installed the latest drivers from Nvidia - still no luck. I do not have a DVI cable but have used a display port cable an the result is the same as using the HDMI cable.

In the device manager, the NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1070 is there, with an exclamation mark next to it - when I open it, it says "Windows has stopped the device because it has reported problems (Code 43)"

Associate
I have tried taking the step by step method listed above.

I have installed the latest drivers from Nvidia - still no luck. I do not have a DVI cable but have used a display port cable an the result is the same as using the HDMI cable.

In the device manager, the NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1070 is there, with an exclamation mark next to it - when I open it, it says "Windows has stopped the device because it has reported problems (Code 43)"

Right click on it and uninstall driver. Then run the Nvidia driver installer.

Associate
My monitor is not plugged into the graphics card. I am only using a HDMI cable to connect to the motherboard. Is that the problem?
Then you are still using the onboard graphics?

The monitor needs to go to your new card!

Drivers must be installed and then you should be good to go.

Associate
OP
Then you are still using the onboard graphics?

The monitor needs to go to your new card!

Drivers must be installed and then you should be good to go.

Yes, there is no signal detected by the monitor when I attempt to connect via the GPU.

Right click on it and uninstall driver. Then run the Nvidia driver installer.

Thanks, I will try this when I get home today. I also found this page which seems to show some helpful suggestions. I'll keep you posted https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledg...this-device-because-it-has-reported-problems/

Soldato

Normally I wouldn't state the obvious but since you're obviously new to all this I will - you have plugged the pci-e cables, usually two of them, into the GPU, yes? And plugged them into the correct sockets on the PSU?

A photograph or two of your card showing exactly what cables are plugged in where and in the PSU would be really helpful at this point.

Soldato
Whilst connected to the motherboard, a trip to the BIOS to see what display setting needs changing would surely be an idea? Or has the OP already tried that?

Back
Top Bottom