• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

WTF! - Intel reveals pay extra to use Xeon features

^^ Linus is right 100%! You don't want to go down the rabbit hole of owning nothing and renting your whole entire life because if they get away with this then subscriptions for everything will become the normal.

You will never own a thing.

Last edited:
In other news, welcome to late stage capitalism:

Max Barry is starting to look less and less like a dystopian writer and more like a reporter...
If you think our current economy has anything to do with capitalism you haven't been paying attention.

But as others have mentioned this **** has gone on for decades, I did the pencil trick on the durons/athlons myself 20 odd years ago.

In other news, welcome to late stage capitalism:

Max Barry is starting to look less and less like a dystopian writer and more like a reporter...

Sounds bad on the face of it, but a lot of current vehicles all use the same engine but with the cheaper and lower spec'd ones using different software to nerf the engine power. Even a bog standard Vx Astra 5 years ago would have 130BHP and 165BHP variants which are in fact exactly the same but with artificial limits in the software. All mercedes are doing here is allowing you to unlock the power afterwards if you want it

This is old school. I can remember when I worked for an insurance company. They paid millions for a mainframe upgrade. An engineer turned up with a screwdriver and took two boards out of the mainframe. He told us to turn it back on. That was the upgrade.

This is old school. I can remember when I worked for an insurance company. They paid millions for a mainframe upgrade. An engineer turned up with a screwdriver and took two boards out of the mainframe. He told us to turn it back on. That was the upgrade.

A my last job we had similar experiences with an AS400. Rang up, bought a code, applied code, here's access to those two Processors you already bought. lol

^^ Linus is right 100%! You don't want to go down the rabbit hole of owning nothing and renting your whole entire life because if they get away with this then subscriptions for everything will become the normal.

As buyers of digital media are finding out, you are just licencing it. If the company goes bust or loses their licence to the content your access goes with it. If I like a film, with rewatch value, I'll buy it on 4K bluray. Doesn't require an internet connection either ;)

As buyers of digital media are finding out, you are just licencing it. If the company goes bust or loses their licence to the content your access goes with it. If I like a film, with rewatch value, I'll buy it on 4K bluray. Doesn't require an internet connection either ;)
This is why I buy music and movies on physical media while GOG is my primary source for games.
I won't say what I think about most DRM because that would earn me a ban...

for 10 times as much for physical copies of anything though. You damned if you do and you damned if you don't. At least there's a little resale value for owning stuff.

You won't get the latest film for £10 that's for sure or a box set.
Never buy on release, way over priced. An example is I just picked up 4K Dune for £9.99, was £25 not that long ago. I've picked up some box sets that work out the £10/film like the Kubrick one. The older films benefit most and there is no rush to pay full price. Anyway back on topic ;)

IBM have been doing this for decades, you could pay to enable extra cores on their IBMi servers either permanently or rent them for peak times.

The idea behind changing to subscriptions is that the company should pay the up front cost of the product, not the user. This then makes it cheaper for the customer to get access to goods they would otherwise not be able to.

So surely making things cheaper is good right? The problem is we've going down this capitalist rabbit hole for decades now in search of the next thing and we do this because we don't want to fix the real problem of why people can't afford to buy things - real wages have been going down for decades, workers become poorer each year and companies get richer, the only way they can get the poor people to buy stuff is to constantly find ways to make those stuff cheaper, so they can reduce wages more and make more profit

The idea behind changing to subscriptions is that the company should pay the up front cost of the product, not the user. This then makes it cheaper for the customer to get access to goods they would otherwise not be able to.

So surely making things cheaper is good right? The problem is we've going down this capitalist rabbit hole for decades now in search of the next thing and we do this because we don't want to fix the real problem of why people can't afford to buy things - real wages have been going down for decades, workers become poorer each year and companies get richer, the only way they can get the poor people to buy stuff is to constantly find ways to make those stuff cheaper, so they can reduce wages more and make more profit
Mobile phones are the perfect example. People now paying more for an iPhone than they would have done for a laptop. They aren't cheaper but they spread the cost out enough that buyers don't notice it. A lot of this over paying is making people poorer too.

It won't make things cheaper though don't be so naive.

Its about how much money Intel can continue to collect on a product after sales.

Imagine this, you pay $1000 for your RTX 4080, a $200 discount, but if you want to use DLSS that will cost you $8 per month, if you want to use RT that will cost you $11 per month, if you want to use AV1 encoding that will cost you $5 per month, hell if you want to play DX12 games that will cost you $9 per month.

Its hardware as a service.

Linus is right, its gross, and don't think for a second that Nvidia wouldn't follow Intel down this path.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom