• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

WTF! - Intel reveals pay extra to use Xeon features

Its about how much money Intel can continue to collect on a product after sales.

Imagine this, you pay $1000 for your RTX 4080, a $200 discount, but if you want to use DLSS that will cost you $8 per month, if you want to use RT that will cost you $11 per month, if you want to use AV1 encoding that will cost you $5 per month, hell if you want to play DX12 games that will cost you $9 per month.

Its hardware as a service.

Linus is right, its gross, and don't think for a second that Nvidia wouldn't follow Intel down this path.
The most important factor is they decide when it has come to the end of its life, by not supporting it, not you. They can also kill the used market off early. Don't think for one minute they haven't looked at all those possibilities.

Intel are using feature IP that is embedded into software, quite a lot of companies don't like this because its Intel telling them how to do things.

Its why some of them are developing their own ARM base chips, its also why AMD are saying to these same people, "look, you tell us what you want us to do and we will do it"

I hope ARM and AMD are going to continue to squeeze Intel in servers, Q2 2022 AMD are at 23% market share, ARM at 8% leaving 69% to Intel, by Q2 2023 AMD are expected to be at 30%+, lets say 32%, ARM should grow to 10%, leaving Intel with 58%.

What i want to see is AMD at 50% with ARM at 30% leaving Intel with 20%, because ####'em.

Last edited:
A decade of quad cores, absolute minimal low single digit performance upgrades gen on gen.
And now this.... while they still have the bulk of server market share.

Loyalty creates monopolies, monopolies create Male Bovine Manure.

RTX 3080 85% the performance of the 3090 for $700
RTX 4080 65% the performance of the 4090 for $1200.

Now wait for GPU's as a service.

Last edited:
A decade of quad cores, absolute minimal low single digit performance upgrades gen on gen.
And now this.... while they still have the bulk of server market share.

Loyalty creates monopolies, monopolies create Male Bovine Manure.

RTX 3080 85% the performance of the 3090 for $700
RTX 4080 65% the performance of the 4090 for $1200.

Now wait for GPU's as a service.
I'd rather be a retrogamer for the rest of my life.

Back
Top Bottom