• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

[X-bit Labs] Intel’s Haswell Could Be Last Interchangeable Desktop Microprocessors

Associate
to be honest, the pc enthusiast market such as ourselves probably bring more to the market by buying expensive upgrades, if intel make this something we could no longer do, i think they would lose a hell of a lot of customers, forcing them to go amd, not sure if it is a wise move for intel to do something like this

Associate
Why would they mount them to the motherboard anyway? They already use a land-grid array package type. To solder it to the board is /more/ expensive as you basically take an LGA package, but add solder to it. There's also the matter of who makes the motherboard and what chip to put on it. Given the number of combinations and price points it's simply not economical. I mean it does happen with laptops but a laptop motherboard and processor combo is far far more expensive than a desktop motherboard and CPU.

Soldato
Been thinking about this, can't help but feel it's scaremongering as we always get.

That, and it's far more likely we'll just get the CPU's on a PCB and slot them in or something.

Like Slot 1 all those years ago :p

I'm worried as i have killed plenty of mobos through Ocing, never a CPU thought and would hate to loose a good clocking CPU because i toasted the mobo and could not remove the CPU.

Im now running a Asus Crosshair V Formula AMD 990FX that i had stashed away because i burnt out the mobo in my sig that i stuck with because it had more sata ports and CD header, no im using external DVD usb as i dont have enough sata port for a sata DVDs unless i down size the RAID, but now im running my CPU at 4.1 so a small blessing.

Agreed, would increase costs to OEMs significantly, with RMAs of boards with a £250 CPU soldered on :eek: Intel don't seem to be doing OEMs any favors with this

Also, how is your sig allowed? :D

Soldato
I don't believe this will happen. I think something has been misreported or something.

What is more likely is that Intel have alluded to future plans to sell low end SoC set ups to be used by OEMs to put in to small cheap computers and laptops that don't need the performance of higher end chips.

If they tried this with higher end stuff, board makers, OEMs, retailers and various other parties simply wouldn't have it. It would kill motherboard choice over night, complicate stocking of those parts, where retailers would need to stock a lot more than they previously might have done if they need one CPU to one motherboard.

I simply don't believe that this is going to happen.

tbh

tbh

Associate
Been thinking about this, can't help but feel it's scaremongering as we always get.

Agreed.

It reminds me of when the community were up in arms before the Nehalem launch because "Intel are going to KILL OVERCLOCKING!!! :mad: " only without the same level of hysteria (yet ;) ).

Associate
Agreed.

It reminds me of when the community were up in arms before the Nehalem launch because "Intel are going to KILL OVERCLOCKING!!! :mad: " only without the same level of hysteria (yet ;) ).

But you can't buy a new Pentium or i3 chip and get it over 4GHz can you? You have to spend £150 minimum :(

Soldato
Seems like they have found a way to sell a lot more cpus faster, motherboard manufacturers will still sell a wide range of boards but now they will have to have large orders of multiple cpu models to supply the whole range form bottom to top end, motherboard manu's will generate more sales with mandatory board changes with every single cpu upgrade.

seems win win for the manufacturer but a bit of a loss and step back for us, every one seems to be anticipating a change in the market, i cant see there being one with the only change being in the way we obtain our hardware.

Soldato
Why would it differ to failure rates now? the only thing changing is the interface medium between the cpu and board, the solder joints have now moved from the bottom of the socket pin to directly below the cpu, heat>cool cycles will still be the same, cpu will be the same only difference is a failure will mean RMA of both components which will be honored solely by the board manufacturer removing the hassle of dealing with the public from intel/AMD's hands.

Associate
I don't like this, if it happens it will be even more reason for me to choose AMD next time around. ps thanks Intel for the rubbish Ivybridge TIM.

Associate
More to go wrong? At least with ram modules you can swap them out or upgrade them if you needed to, even if you know basically nothing about pcs you can do that. Surely RAM is much, much faster than anything that could be implemented cheaply into a motherboard. I think RAM is cool, I've always liked it since I started building pcs, I used to have a collection of old sticks from SDR onwards but lost it. I'd be sad if I couldn't buy ram for my pc!

Soldato
More to go wrong? At least with ram modules you can swap them out or upgrade them if you needed to, even if you know basically nothing about pcs you can do that. Surely RAM is much, much faster than anything that could be implemented cheaply into a motherboard. I think RAM is cool, I've always liked it since I started building pcs, I used to have a collection of old sticks from SDR onwards but lost it. I'd be sad if I couldn't buy ram for my pc!

Well they can't be worried about stuff going wrong if they are prepared to solder a cpu to the board, why not ram that is guaranteed to work at the correct speed and timings, kind of like one less thing to mess with:)

I should imagine it would be somewhat cheaper as well.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thing is, some of us like taking the entry level chip and using a high end board, overclocking it to highend specs. If this route was taken. The high end chips would come on the high end boards, and the low end chips on low end boards. you wouldnt get for example the 3820 3930 and 3970 all on the R4E. Just the 3970. the others would be on lower tier boards.

That would suck, though yeah its most likely not happening or will be for low power devices.

Associate
It seems there is no mention of Broadwell-E, will the true enthusiast platform also be BGA or will it then remain LGA?

Back
Top Bottom