• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

[X-bit Labs] Intel’s Haswell Could Be Last Interchangeable Desktop Microprocessors

V F

V F

Soldato
two things come to mind:

1. microsoft Windows licensing - currently it's tied into the motherboard. This means that you could never upgrade the heart of the system unless....
2. cpu's get mounted on daughterboard - a bit like the old slot 1 Intel P3 chips... a bit like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo_x6Kdz4zE

Did these stand vertically in the case? I can't help but wonder that the weight of the heatsink pulls the card out. Even any strain...

Soldato
The very first Intel PC I bought in 1990 had a 80286-12.5MHz processor soldered onto a daughter board fixed to an edge connector on the motherboard (Philips). There was a future upgrade to a 80386 series processor which I did not buy as I sold the PC when 80486 came out and built my first PC based on the 486 DX33 in 1993.

There were some motherboards which came out in the 90's with soldered ram, probably 4MB but with upgrade slots for additional ram.

Last edited:
Soldato
I still don't understand why there is no on-board memory on motherboards.

I can't see this as a bad thing, as like most, I upgrade board and cpu together.

I used to be an early adopter and would quite often get 2 CPUs into the same board hell I got my abit ip35-e in 2007 with 2180 then put 9650 into it in 2010 and have recently sold 9650 and now have a 4600 in that same board how would I be able to do that?

bru

bru

Soldato
Just think about it for a minute, as things stand at the moment their are:

for sale on OCUk
10 B75 boards
13 H77 boards
48 Z77 boards

12 Pentium socket 1155 CPU's
13 Ivybridge socket 1155 CPU's

so for each board you would need 25 different models.

Its not going to happen like that for sure, yes they could drastically cut down the number of options, but why would they that seems like a sure fire way to sell less to me. Same reason proctor and gamble have 5 different makes of washing powder,the more you offer the less chance your customer will choose a competitors product.

Soldato
Not really,

for instance
b75>i3/i5 non-k
h77>i3/i5/i7 non-k
z77>i5/i7 non k i5/i7 k series

It isnt ideal for us but intel & AMD don't particularly care, i seriously doubt the urge or need to upgrade will bother the sale if they moved to that format, yes you have to replace your board but you also have to buy a board; what im trying to point out is one will drive the other, your resale price will also reflect the fact there is the addition of a board and will offset the hit you take just enough for the pc enthusiasts that will be upgrading to upgrade any way regardless of the format change.

Us pc users are creatures of habit driven by the market, sad to say we will grumble about it but we will follow the market if it is still there, that's my opinion of it any way.

Soldato
Actually,this could all be down to what Anandtech reported earlier. Intel have over half their 22NM fabs going idle now,and if anything that means the expensive investment in 22NM is probably taking longer to pay off. The TDP reduction is going to be less important for desktops anyway,so by keeping the desktop CPUs on 22NM,that means they can use the 22NM fabs longer. On top of this this means,they will probably transition slower to 14NM and use this mostly for mobile devices,and this might end up more cost effective for them.

It seems a lot of the tech media missed this:

http://www.electronicsweekly.com/Ar...ning-delays-14nm-raises-fears-for-ireland.htm

14NM is being delayed by six months at the Ireland fab.

Basically,expect to see Haswell probably extended for desktop use,ie,maybe a refresh in 2014,with Broadwell going to mobile and AIO computers on 14NM. These are most likely to have soldered CPUs. Socketed CPUs will be on 22NM with Haswell and remember IB-E has not even been launched yet. By keeping socketed desktop CPUs on 22NM,they will need to have less 14NM capacity initially and use this exclusively for mobile devices. The desktop market still takes up a large percentage of what Intel sells.

Remember,Intel had the original Core only as a mobile CPU,and kept the Pentium 4 for desktop.

Soldato
Im torn over this. My Gut says "no, i dont like this idea" though my brain says "well, actually it's not a bad idea." I bought a Z68 motherboard and put an i5 in it, the next time i want a new CPU there will be a new motherboard to support it.

Though Repairs will be significantly harder to deal with.

50/50 for me...

bru

bru

Soldato
After thinking about this some more, I could see something like this happening for certain chips. Like the ones that would effectively be in the same bracket that the socket 1155 Pentiums are in now, but even then it would mean 4 or 6 versions of each of the low end boards and that is if they cut the number of chips by 2/3 or by 1/2 (their are 12 Celeron/Pentium chips currently) so maybe it would work.
I don't see how they are going to get round annoying the hell out of the motherboard manufactures though.

Associate
this has to be ********. intel make money selling cpu's by oem channel and retail box. they are going to kill the retail box market? bs

Associate
I foresee the choices being based on the exact same things as before - Performance per watt and performance per dollar (exchange an overclock for a new mobo/CPU).

I guess it makes sense for Intel, seems like with a closed system they could be aiming for people who want a computer and who really just want it to work out of the box (Not always the case I suppose). As well as maybe saving money on R&D?

Would this mean a bigger market for co-processors over PCI-E as well?

Back
Top Bottom