XB1 Or PS4 Controller ?

Soldato
Having a hard time choosing which controller to get for my rig as there's a few games in my Steam library which would feel better with a controller.

I like the look of the newer slightly updated XB1 controller with the headphone inputs but I also like the look of the PS4 controller with the lightbar on the back.

Any pros or cons to these 2 ? I know the XB1 controller can't be used wirelessly but can the PS4 controller ?

Soldato
MS are releasing a wireless adapter for the Xbone pad soon. Unless you have a preference for the PS4 pad, the the Xbone one will be less hassle.

Another alternative would be the Steam controller but not due till November.

Soldato
Out of the DS4 and Xbox one pad i would personally get a Xbox 360 pad. No nonsense, miles cheaper and does the same thing

Unless of course you are thinking of getting an Xbox One, or already have one, then the XBOne controller is definitely worth getting instead. The 360 controllers are not that much cheaper anyway.

To me, the Xbox controllers always felt more natural. The PS4 controller is a big step forward for Sony, but it still isn't perfect yet. It does have some interesting features though! (touch pad, light thingy etc).

Associate
Personally always prefered the Xbox controllers, the left analog stick has always felt better to me.

I prefer the Xbox One to the Xbox 360 too, the triggers feel a lot more natural and the thumb sticks are a lot more grippy... And it's bigger, if you have big hands like I do, it's a no brainer.

Soldato
Unless of course you are thinking of getting an Xbox One, or already have one, then the XBOne controller is definitely worth getting instead. The 360 controllers are not that much cheaper anyway.

To me, the Xbox controllers always felt more natural. The PS4 controller is a big step forward for Sony, but it still isn't perfect yet. It does have some interesting features though! (touch pad, light thingy etc).

You can get a 360 pad for £10 if you search for it. And wireless adapter for £6 =£16 Xbox One pad =£45-£55

Op did say its for his rig but i agree that if you have a XBone might aswell have two pads

Soldato
OP
Well I am planning on getting the XB1 when they do a revised version just like they did with the PS4 i.e smaller APU etc...

I'll have a look around then for the updated XB1 pad to see if I can get it for a decent price.

Associate
You can get a 360 pad for £10 if you search for it. And wireless adapter for £6 =£16 Xbox One pad =£45-£55

Op did say its for his rig but i agree that if you have a XBone might aswell have two pads

Whaaa.

It's not fair for you to pick the lowest price for a 360 pad and then the highest price for an Xbox One pad.

I'm fairly sure I paid £30 for my Xbox One pad around April time (bought it because my old one broke just before GTA came out)... I refuse to believe it's gone up £15-25 in 5 months if you "search for it"?

Soldato
OP
They really need to make a XBone Slim. Might consider one then but the current one wouldn't fit through the door :D:D:D:D

Well the XB1 has a lot of empty space in it for cooling purposes hence why it's quieter than the PS4 at full load but it would be nice to see maybe a more efficient cooling design in a smaller form factor.

Soldato
If you're on windows 10 I'd steer clear of the ds4 for now, mapping utilities require a work around to get them to function in exclusive mode (no exclusive no work). I supposedly being fixed in an upcoming w10 patch but I wouldn't bank on it.

Underboss
I've just sold my PS4 controller, it was ok but the faff of having to use the software was too much for me.

Worked great wirelessly, but when I plugged it in for wired use I had to remap the buttons etc

Just been bought an XBOne controller from the wife.

Associate
I have use both since I have an xb1 and ps4. I find they both work fine. I use DS4 with my setup which is win 8.1.

Most of the time the ps4 controller is plugged in as I have an extra controller. But I really like the xb1 controller just as much. In the past I have preferred the sony controllers over the xbox 360 one. As the 360 one is a bit chunkier than the ps ones and I have really really small hands.

Associate
Xbox one pad all the way. I've got both and when I first got the ds4 I thought nothing could top it, it's so much better than the ps3 pad which played second fiddle to the xbox 360 pad but I recently got a xbox one pad and it's the best of the lot imo, the thumbsticks are in a much more natural position compared to sonys, the triggers just "feel right" there's no more bulky battery pack at the back and there's loads of little refinements too like no screw holes on the back (after long gaming sessions little things like this rubbing on fingers is annoying) plus the thumbsticks aren't made of cheese (I replaced my Sony ones 3 times) and they have a nice textured outer edge. Also being Microsoft they will have full support with drivers and soon there will be the wireless receiver available

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom