1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*** Xbox Series X - Showcase on 23rd July, 5pm ***

Discussion in 'Console Games & Hardware' started by ic1male, Jun 9, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Broken Hope

Sgarrista

The extra GPU power is like 18% that doesn’t get you from 4K30 to 4K60.

2. The_One

Capodecina

Microsoft are better at implementing stuff tho

Look at the ps4pro versus xbox one x

Fake 4k vs real 4k

3. ic1male

Caporegime

I also referenced the "cheat" techniques like VRS, SFS, etc. It's more than just raw horsepower.

4. Kreeeee

Man of Honour

Isn’t that 18% above the boosted clocks? The PS5 can’t run both the CPU and GPU at the maximum frequencies all of the time.

5. Broken Hope

Sgarrista

Those techniques are part of RDNA2 so will be supported by the PS5 GPU under different names.

6. ic1male

Caporegime

Not agreeing with you on that. Microsoft was spouting on about VRS being patented (could be a DirectX-only thing) and SFS is definitely unique to them.

7. McPhee

Soldato

Yes.

WCCF ran an article on it (here). They speculated that the power of the PS5 GPU varies inside the 9.2 TFLOPs to 10.3 TFLOPs range, vs the Series X's sustained 12.1 TFLOPs. That would make the Series X 18% to 32% more powerful.

The bounds of that range aren't known for certain yet. But 18% certainly isn't the full picture.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
  8. Kreeeee

Man of Honour

In that case there could be quite a big difference in minimum frame rates/resolutions.

9. BuffetSlayer

Mobster

The pro is, what, around 22% less powerful than the x on paper? But it isnt really noticable day to day when playing games in my view. The pro punches above its weight.

I imagine the difference between series x and ps5 may be less pronounced in real terms day to day performance than the raw numbers would suggest.

10. pioneer2000

Soldato

Since when? The difference between the Pro and 1X is definitely noticeable and the gap between the Series X and PS5 is even bigger when you bring ray tracing into the mix.

11. BuffetSlayer

Mobster

Really? Definitely noticable? Maybe if you are comparing screenshots side by side. But during actual gameplay? I cant say as the differences are that obvious to me. I have several titles on both consoles and they look and play pretty much the same. A few differences here and there but I wouldnt put the 1x as streets ahead.

12. Ryan-3

Sgarrista

Something like RDR2 with some fast action will definitely highlight differences between them.

Whilst I agree it ain't a million miles apart, the additional power is certainly there.

13. McPhee

Soldato

At the boost clock that Sony has given, the PS5's GPU is ~15% less powerful. At the speculative base clocks WCCF suggest, it's more like 25%. The latter is quite a substantial gap.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
  14. TriedandTested

Capodecina

I'm down for the PS5 this time round. When i saw Gears of War, Forza etc being the Xbox's big games again i just can't be bothered. Where's the creativity?

Edit: thought i was in the PS thread.

15. McPhee

Soldato

They haven't announced either a new Gears of War or a new Forza yet...

16. TriedandTested

Capodecina

Oh, i thought i saw something in a video they released...? No. My bad. I'm sure i did though!
    I want the launch line up to be exciting and new! I remember PGR and that open world adventure game (can't remember the name...where the girl changed in to different characters) on launch...was awesome.

New PGR and i may be swayed!

Edit... Kameo: Elements of Power!

17. McPhee

Soldato

Could be the news that Gears 5 will be updated for Series X?

The only confirmed first party games so far are Halo Infinite, Senua's Saga: Hellblade 2, Everwild, and Microsoft Flight (not technically first party, but may as well be). A new Forza seems likely. Fable 4 is strongly rumoured. There's some rumours doing the rounds about Perfect Dark. That covers about half of their first party studios. Not seen much about what the rest might be working on for next gen.

18. Random Guy Esq.

Mobster

I'm looking forward to seeing more of Everwild - the art style and design were lovely.

19. McPhee

Soldato

Same here. Plus Fable (if the rumours are true). Also, Kena and Stray from the PS5 conference. They're probably the four games I'm most looking forward to, based on what's been shown so far.

20. ic1male

Caporegime

Gears Tactics is also coming to Xbox later this year.