• Series S

Votes: 104 11.7%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Man of Honour
Anyone still using OneGuide with their One/S/X?

Think it has a chance of making it over to the Series X?

There is no HDMI input on the Series X, so I don't see how that would work.

On top of that the next gen console is being marketed as primarily a gaming machine due to the backlash of the TV focus of the One.

Associate
There is no HDMI input on the Series X, so I don't see how that would work.

On top of that the next gen console is being marketed as primarily a gaming machine due to the backlash of the TV focus of the One.

The TV Tuner accessory would still work no? Coaxial from aerial into Tuner, Tuner USB into Series X...?

Surely it's not going to lose the entertainment aspect given all the streaming apps available on top..?

Guess it's a wait and see on that.

Man of Honour
The TV Tuner accessory would still work no? Coaxial from aerial into Tuner, Tuner USB into Series X...?

Surely it's not going to lose the entertainment aspect given all the streaming apps available on top..?

Guess it's a wait and see on that.

Well the Kinect has been phased out so I doubt the tuner would work.

Soldato
Hope they don't phase out the TV Tuner, the One X in our living room is the one box for everything, live TV, streamed media (local and web), and obviously gaming. So much easier having a single system solution.

Soldato
Tv tuner? You mean the usb/coax one? Can you even use that anymore? Also, doesn’t everyone have sky/virgin nowadays (I.e. HDMI)

The X series doesn’t have HDMI in/out functionality which is a massive shame, as like you say having it all integrated was one of the biggest positives of the Xbox One.

Soldato
Tv tuner? You mean the usb/coax one? Can you even use that anymore? Also, doesn’t everyone have sky/virgin nowadays (I.e. HDMI)
Yep still works, actually very well, the xbox does a really good job of scaling up the picture even the non HD channels.

No interest in sky/virgin here, happy with a small amount of Freeview coupled with streaming services.

Associate
As expected Xbox will be the more power console this gen.

FBF68733-DD87-447-E-91-FC-11-DA4-AE0-C1-E8.jpg

Soldato
As expected Xbox will be the more power console this gen.

FBF68733-DD87-447-E-91-FC-11-DA4-AE0-C1-E8.jpg
We all know the pure power difference, and the XSX is a beast no doubt, so him chatting to devs has told us nothing more than we already know, and anyone that cites the word 'fanboy' should be pretty much taken with a pinch of salt as should the fact that the devs also know it's not just about pure power.

The thing which makes this interesting is the lightening fast data transfer rates of the PS5 and the trickery they have implemented in the data controllers to achieve it, and what it all means in actual performance.

Anyone who hasn't seen the Digital Foundry teardown on PS5 really needs to watch it, it's very interesting and they are clearly excited about what the PS5 will be capable of given it's lower specs. Even if you're not a sony fan it's worth a watch.

Soldato
the devs also know it's not just about pure power.

The thing which makes this interesting is the lightening fast data transfer rates of the PS5 and the trickery they have implemented in the data controllers to achieve it, and what it all means in actual performance.

If fast storage speeds is all you need, then why bother putting an 8c/16t CPU in there with a FAST GPU (even at 9-10TF, is still very fast compared to PS4/PRO), why not just using the old stuff?
That 8-10GB of data/s still needs to be simulated and rendered in 16.6ms or less at 4k, stuff which is not up to the storage medium to do. Is not like going from an standard sata3 SSD to an m.2 SSD gives you better frame rates than going from a 2080 to a 2080ti!

I think everyone gets it that both consoles are quite powerful, moreso than some had expected, and that will help driver forward the games more than previous gen has done (hopefully), but while that fast storage is good, the question would be, in how many games that matters? And would you prefer 4k60fps with 2-3 seconds of loading time or 4k30fps (or 60 with, but upsampled from a lower res), with 1-2seconds of loading time. Also, depending per game, you may encounter that loading time so little, that it won't even matter compared to the actual 99.9% of time you are playing.

Soldato
And this says it all, my point was clearly tossed to the side.

Go watch the video.

Saw it, but I failed to see how a faster storage speed (going into "ridiculous" values), will help drive those frame rates up, so be so kind to explain how those fast transferring speeds will accelerate the AI, physics and graphics? I don't dispute that you could have potentially faster loading times than a 500MB/s or 2-3GB/s drives (exactly how meaningful this is, remains to be seen) and in some remote cases you may see some benefits if the game has to stream in and out the world fast enough (aka, traveling at really high speed), although even that can be optimized somewhat, but to make out of it something that will overcome the lack of power in CPU in GPU departments is ... funny.

All those Ray Tracing demos are not limited by transfer speed, but rather the lack of GPU power.

Back
Top Bottom