XCOM : Enemy Unknown - by Firaxis Games - Thread

Soldato
Definitely keep the elyrium, you'll need it to research and upgrade your equipment in the late game. Titan armour, ghost armour, firestorms etc will drain your elyrium stocks significantly.

Will do. I don't really plan ahead tbh(its just the way I play games) so have no idea about research trees, even though I have played the game many times!

Got a race on in my current game....Russia and UK both at max panic, council report in 15 days, just started work on a satellite uplink which will take 14 days!

Associate
Never finished this game. Aliens continuously sleeping in the field until you wake them up and this happens right up until the very last mission, lol.

More like a turn based Gears of War than a true XCOM game.

They're not sleeping, they're roaming. You always get the same cutscenes though when you discover them or they move into view.

Finding the expansion very hard at the moment, lost a lot of men from lucky shots while in full cover and the fishing village was a massacre! I don't do enough damage!

Last edited:
Associate
Finding the expansion very hard at the moment, lost a lot of men from lucky shots while in full cover and the fishing village was a massacre! I don't do enough damage!

It definitely seems to be a step up in difficulty from Vanilla.

Im trying to do the 1st exalt mission early in the 2nd month with my basic 4 guys and ballistic weapons (Classic difficulty). It's carnage.

Soldato
I've only just noticed the intel that you get from the covert ops you send against Exalt to find out which country their base is...."You can play as this country in Civilization V":p

I like that

FuF

FuF

Associate
Besides a few bugs I am finding the expansion brilliant! And the updated campaing and increased difficulty curve is cool too. Had to redo the fishing village good few times. On ironman it will be nightmare!!

Associate
I've only just noticed the intel that you get from the covert ops you send against Exalt to find out which country their base is...."You can play as this country in Civilization V":p

I like that

Just a shame that feature is a tad bugged.
I got "Its not in the USA" twice and yet that was the only place left for it to be as all the others had no EXALT presence.
So I forced the mission and, thats where it was.

The mission itself is also a letdown, arguably one of the easiest in my entire playthrough.

Soldato
I'll never complain about something being too easy:p

Generally, I really enjoy the scripted missions tbh. I did the defend the base one earlier, with much more success, and luck, as I kind of knew it was going to come up soon, as I had just done a mission that came before it in my last game, so I upgraded all of my soldiers, and gave them all pretty good gear, so I only had 2-3 rookies. I have also just done the one where you rescue the woman. The scripted missions really spice the game up imo, as something different to the bread&butter Abduction/terror missions. I had never done any of the dlc missions before this playthrough, and I have enjoyed them.

One thing I have found on this playthrough, is how much better paced it seems. Not getting everything come at once this time, and the scripted missions are really well spread out.

Soldato
It definitely seems to be a step up in difficulty from Vanilla.

Im trying to do the 1st exalt mission early in the 2nd month with my basic 4 guys and ballistic weapons (Classic difficulty). It's carnage.

Get up on the roof tops, and take a squad sight sniper. On the ground you'll just get slaughtered. You need every advantage against those trolling Thin Men.

I counted (and pwned) ten bad guys in that mission.

Associate
I keep reading that snipers have been nerfed but a well positioned squad sight marine still seems priceless to me. I also level snap shot snipers because their great Aim makes them ace to convert to Mechs.

Associate
Get up on the roof tops, and take a squad sight sniper. On the ground you'll just get slaughtered. You need every advantage against those trolling Thin Men.

I counted (and pwned) ten bad guys in that mission.

Thanks - unfortunately this mission has generated so early in the game, that neither of my snipers, one of which has been in every mission - have squadsight yet.

Snipers without Squadsight suck!

Ill have another go at it this weekend, Ill just have to play super careful. No meld, no rush :p .

Soldato
I am finding myself in desperate need of alloys in my game! I can't build anything that I need.

I have just taken down the overseer craft, so about to assault it.

Also, I agree with what some said earlier about the last exalt mission.... Very disappointing. It is basically just one room with about 8 enemies in it, and they don't even have backup! I enjoyed the exalt storyline, but it was a big anticlimax unfortunately.

Associate
Picked this up yesterday great game, but I keep crashing when I put my solders on overwatch and they take a shot it crashes to desktop.

Pretty sure its just the laser rifles, any fix for this ?

Associate
I've come to really hate how gene modded lose all their armor and end up with silly little chest and shoulder pieces. If anything they should look even more badass. I've found a mod that supposedly rectifies it but I'm hesitant to mod the xcom.

Picked this up yesterday great game, but I keep crashing when I put my solders on overwatch and they take a shot it crashes to desktop.

Pretty sure its just the laser rifles, any fix for this ?

Only thing I can really suggest is verifying the game cache. Otherwise check out pc gaming wiki entry for xcom.

Soldato
doubletap.jpg
Annoying bug with Double Tap, few times it's happened now and I keep forgetting about it.

Associate
They really, REALLY need to introduce a difficulty level in between normal and hard. Very frustrating when one feels too easy and the other a brick wall.

Back
Top Bottom