XCOM : Enemy Unknown - by Firaxis Games - Thread

Soldato
I thought all Marathon did was dramatically increase build and research times, which would make Enemy Within really nasty :)

Oh is it?...I just read the description that says it makes the game longer and thought it sounded like it might be good. If all it does is make build time longer then I'll give it a miss. That would make the race for satellites even worse!

Associate
Oh is it?...I just read the description that says it makes the game longer and thought it sounded like it might be good. If all it does is make build time longer then I'll give it a miss. That would make the race for satellites even worse!

The major problem I had with Marathon mode on Classic difficulty is that you're stuck with only 4 marines per mission for what feels like a decade. With only 4, if you lose one, it's probably a wipe.

Last edited:
Soldato
Im going to buy this tonight (original) and I'm a complete noob to the series so I was wondering if there are any non spoiler tips you could give me. I generally like to play games on a harder than normal difficulty too so I'm interested in the different choices there.

Soldato
Im going to buy this tonight (original) and I'm a complete noob to the series so I was wondering if there are any non spoiler tips you could give me. I generally like to play games on a harder than normal difficulty too so I'm interested in the different choices there.

Do not opt for classic straight up. Play it on normal first, then up it if you are finding it too easy. The 'Ironman' option means you can not reload an earlier save, so if people die, or you fail a mission, you have to continue.

Also, work on getting every country satellite coverage as soon as you can, and it is probably a good idea to research armour and weapon upgrades early as well. You can tell how to do this from the descriptions when you are choosing your research. It is pretty much common sense to work out which research leads to which type of upgrade

Soldato
Ok, I've seen satellites mentioned a lot so will deffo remember this. Really looking forward to it, played a demo on PS3 of it and I didn't like it but this is an example of something I know I'd only enjoy on PC.

Soldato
Ok, I've seen satellites mentioned a lot so will deffo remember this. Really looking forward to it, played a demo on PS3 of it and I didn't like it but this is an example of something I know I'd only enjoy on PC.

Get ready to lose your life to it!..and be surprised at the attachment you develop to your soldiers;)

One thing I will say, is that like a lot of people, I think Ironman is the only way to play the game

Soldato
Only just started tonight but I get the feeling I'm going to really enjoy this. One thing is bothering me though, whenever someone start talking like in the tutorial (small box in top right) my frames drop to like 20fps for just a brief second, it is only like this when that happens, I'm running it at a sooth 60fps at 1440p otherwise so I know it's not a hardware constraint. I'm just wondering if there is some known fix for this as google isn't helping to much.

Back
Top Bottom