• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

XFX HD4850 xxx edition. Crashing in Warhammer

Associate
Hi

I have a new rig with the above card installed.

I am playing a trial version of Warhammer Online and it keeps crashing to a screen of vertical beige bars after 10 or so minutes of playing. I have to do a hard reset as the PC is completely frozen.

I also played Far Cry 2 which came free with my processor, and in one particular part of the game early on I experienced exactly the same crash, but after restarting a few times I got through this particular area and the game now runs fine.

I have no idea what is causing it. I played left 4 dead with no problems

I am running XP until I can get the funds for a new OS next month

Intel Core i7 920 2.66Ghz

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R Intel X58 (Socket 1366) PCI-Express DDR3 Motherboard

XFX ATI Radeon HD 4850 "XXX Edition" 512MB GDDR3

OCZ Gold 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3

Coolermaster Real Power 520w Modular Power Supply

often its a heat thing, if you dont already have it, download and gun gpuz in the background and check the box that says log to file, then next time it crashes reboot and check the log, scroll to the bottom and have a look at the temps, dont forget to look at the VDDCs to the far right, these are often the culprits I find. If it is this then depending on the heat sink in use you can either add more sinks if they'll fit, remove the whole thing and apply better TIM or simply replace it with an aftermarket cooler, or you could RMA if they accept it

cheapest way to solve it is get a couple of 120mm fans and sit em at side of it.

this is what i done and solved my heat problem.

First he needs to establish if it is heat, then Id say its cheaper to apply better thermal paste, often that will do it, if youre comfortable with taking cooler off and putting it back on, if not then yeah a couple of fans directed at it could help

Hi

I downloaded gpu-z.

It crashed again in Warhammer and the log file just before shows temps of between 40-48c for all values. I have the side of the case open as well so not sure if it's a heat thing...

it keeps crashing to a screen of vertical beige bars after 10 or so minutes of playing. I have to do a hard reset as the PC is completely frozen.

It's a known problem with some of these cards (xxx edition) - read this thread - link

Download furmark and run it a few times - if it replicates the same crash screen you probably have the same problem that i and others had with the XXX edition.

Last edited:
Same Issue

Yes, I ran Furmark twice and there is a lockup when the card hits 60c.

Will check again but it looks like RMA time, thanks for pointing me to your thread!

Last edited:
Np, it will be an rma.

Explain in you covering letter, when you return the card, that they just need to run furmark to replicate the error and you'll probably have your replacement within 48hrs without any fuss - as it's a simple and quick test for them to identify the fault.

yep - especially if it fails in furmark consistently.

If you haven't tested furmark - do so - as it's a quick test for OC's to run if it does have a problem. Your rma will be speedier. (and if you've had it less than 28 days consider the 4870 at £98)

Last edited:
Should be a relatively straight forward rma as it's a problem they're aware of so they know what to test for - good luck with it.

i have the exact same GFX card as you and them same problem, downloaded Furmark and the crashes appear. Did you recieve a credit note for another GFX card or the they replace it with the same?
If they replaced it with the same, did the problem occur in the new one?

How long have you had the card?

If your within the 28 days drop OC's a web note outlining your problem and ask what your options are - you should be able to swap to an alternate card without too many problems. You will obviously have to pay the difference if it's an upgrade - but not the p&p - all this only applies if OC's find the card to be at fault.

If it's over the 28 days you'll have to have a replacement of the same card - as far as i'm aware?..

Best to web note them or post in their customer services forum and ask what your options are - giving your purchase date/order number.

Last edited:
How long have you had the card?

If your within the 28 days drop OC's a web note outlining your problem and ask what your options are - you should be able to swap to an alternate card without too many problems. You will obviously have to pay the difference if it's an upgrade - but not the p&p - all this only applies if OC's find the card to be at fault.

If it's over the 28 days you'll have to have a replacement of the same card - as far as i'm aware?..

Best to web note them or post in their customer services forum and ask what your options are - giving your purchase date/order number.

Its within the 28days warranty (Bought 21st June) and i've had a reply regarding my RMA and they said:

"We also test using this program, so we should see the results when the card gets back here. This isn't a common issue with the card, however we can offer a refund should you want to go for something else. Regarding the RMA, I have emailed you a returns number with details for sending it back"

So i'll probably ask for another GFX? (don't know which yet) but do i tell them that before i send it off or after they have replied saying the fault has be recognised?

So i'll probably ask for another GFX? (don't know which yet) but do i tell them that before i send it off or after they have replied saying the fault has be recognised?

Explain that you will want another card within the rma request - along with the details of your problem.

Also, enclose a note, when returning the card, explaining all the fundamental details and your wish for a different card if the XFX is found to be faulty. Obviously, you will have to pay any price difference between the 2 cards but not p&p.

Last edited:
Np, it will be an rma.

Explain in you covering letter, when you return the card, that they just need to run furmark to replicate the error and you'll probably have your replacement within 48hrs without any fuss - as it's a simple and quick test for them to identify the fault.

Funny, my 4830 crashes @ furmark but I can get it 100% rock stable @719/1119 ( default clocks 575/900 ) in every damn game and any other benchmark out there.

------------------------
But yeh if the GPU crashes during stress it's possibly that.
Can be PSU as well tho, so I would check that also.
Maybe try with different PCI-E lead if you got one to swap with? Had similar problems few times with just faulty PCI-E power lead : ).

Funny, my 4830 crashes @ furmark but I can get it 100% rock stable @719/1119 ( default clocks 575/900 ) in every damn game and any other benchmark out there.

This problem isn't just furmark related with the XFX 4850 xxx - it turns up in other games/apps too.

If it 'only' crashed in Furmark it wouldn't be a problem as it's an insanely aggressive app - but this particular problem appears in certain games too - crysis, DoW, Wic and others...

But Furmark is a consistent theme/crash, with some XFX 4850 xxx, and is therefore easy for OC's to test along with other apps/games. But, obviously, it has to have the other cryteria too for an rma. I think you may have missed my link to another thread, within this thread, which explains the problem in more detail. (it's probably just as well it's been clarified here.)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom