• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

XFX Radeon 5870 - Fan runs at 55% idle - very loud!

Associate
Hi,

So I've just go my new pc and it sounds like a jet taking off.

I've been reading up and it seems that for some reason the fan on my card is set to spin at 55% even when idle.

Apparently i can flash the BIOS with an update from XFX that reduces the fan to 30% but I need to do this:

"Once you have formatted your USB flash drive to be DOS bootable

Please add ALL files here (in the downlaod) onto the flash drive and then boot from this drive.

Once at the DOS prompt, please type the following

587XZND.bat

and then follow any on screen instructions."

Can anyone tell me how to do this? I have no idea!

thanks

Dan

Associate
So your asking how to follow simple instructions?

1.Google how to make your drive dos bootable, then do this.

2. Move the new gfx bios files onto the USB

3. reboot computer and select the USB drive asthe boot drive in BIOS

4. enther the given filename on request

anything else will be simple press enter to continues

Permabanned
So you're asking how to follow simple instructions?

1.Google how to make your drive dos bootable, then do this.

2. Move the new gfx bios files onto the USB drive

3. reboot computer and select the USB drive asthe boot drive in BIOS

4. enther the given filename on request

anything else will be simple press enter to continues

Don't be an arse, it's not simple for everyone.

Permabanned
Soldato
It sounds like the OP didn't install catalyst.

It's to do with the XFX revision 2 cards the fan speed preset is 55% at idle which is loud.I have 2 of these cards in crossfire and at 55% it sounds like a hoover,i have flashed both of my cards with the new bios on XFX's site and they idle at 30% :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
cheers guys - I wasn't insulted by the way!

I suppose I know what the solution is but I need my hand held.

Not being that technical I live in constant fear of breaking things. I'm going to try the bootable usb thing this evening.

Was annoyed when I turned my PC on yesterday (brand new from ****) to have it sounding like a hoover from the get go. I would have thought someone at Scan would have noticed this and sorted it out before sending to me.

I now find myself having to mess around to get the thing working properly.

thanks again for your responses

Dan.

Soldato

Not being that technical I live in constant fear of breaking things. I'm going to try the bootable usb thing this evening.

Was annoyed when I turned my PC on yesterday (brand new from ****) to have it sounding like a hoover from the get go. I would have thought someone at ****would have noticed this and sorted it out before sending to me.

Dan.

Just a heads up, OCUK don't like mention of competitors.

Soldato

Was annoyed when I turned my PC on yesterday (brand new from ****) to have it sounding like a hoover from the get go. I would have thought someone at Scan would have noticed this and sorted it out before sending to me.

Dan.

Cant you return the system as it b0rked ? I would be exchanging the system for a working one. If they start messing you around then DSR it.

Edit: Everyone knows four stars is scan, five stars are *****, six stars are ******.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Cant you return the system as it b0rked ? I would be exchanging the system for a working one. If they start messing you around then DSR it.

Edit: Everyone knows four stars is scan, five stars are *****, six stars are ******.

I suppose I could return it yes, but the thought of packing the thing back up again, taking time of work to arrange for pick up then being without a pc again doesn't really fill my with joy.

Soldato
It you flash the cards BIOS you void the warranty and it might not even fix the problem.

I would phone them up and see what they say, they might send a parcel firm to collect it, as really they have sent you a faulty system that should have been built and tested IMO.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
It you flash the cards BIOS you void the warranty and it might not even fix the problem.

I would phone them up and see what they say, they might send a parcel firm to collect it. As really they have sent you a faulty system that should have been built and tested IMO.

Yes good point, I'll contact them to make sure I don't void the warranty if i flash the BIOS. If I do it makes the decision to return the system quite an easy one. For that reason I would expect them to say I don't void the warranty.

Associate
OP
To be fair, this is XFX's fault and you'd get the same problem regardless of where you bought it. Just use MSI Afterburner so you don't void your warrantly.

Not really, my contract is with ****. They sent me a PC that has a problem which should have been picked up at quality control.

Back
Top Bottom