Yamaha Minidisc player not working

Soldato
Yes I know its old technology - but we all have our embarrassments!

I have quite a lot historic music / radio programmes recorded. I don't use it to record things any more in these days of radio streaming / catch up. It's just annoying. Sometimes listen to old Andy Kershaw "world music" programme recordings or radio plays.

The problem seems to be in the head drive motor - it doesn't seem to "seek" any more. Not sure if it's the motor or gears? Anybody had any experience with this type of kit? I used to have a Sony MD recorder and that died because of the laser head "expiring".

Otherwise it's the recycling "skip". Don't this think anyone repairs these commercially any more!

Mel

Soldato
Buy a new one and skip that one, cost and hassle of repair won’t be worth it. I’d be looking to move anything you want on minidisc into MP3 the tech is getting old and prices and creeping up as it becomes steadily harder to get good stuff.

Soldato
OP
Buy a new one! Discontinued since 2013! Buy a secondhand one - not worth the risk! Laser or mechanics likely to fail imminently.

Still have Sony separate and a Sony portable but hardware is so complex has a limited life. Will transfer things that are worthwhile but mostly not. Very tedious having to split 84 min discs into separate tracks. Mel

Soldato
It takes a brave man to admit he's got a mini disc
At the time, they were the best, most affordable and useful form of recording for musicians on a budget. You could plug them directly into the sound-deck and capture performances, or record music off anything with a 3.5mm audio out. I used one for my session drumming and I know several street musicians who just plugged in a mic to review their performances.

I've no idea what people use nowadays, but I expect it's expensive or bulkier than a little MD.

Buy a secondhand one - not worth the risk! Laser or mechanics likely to fail imminently.
If you say so... Mine still works fine, and it was second-hand when I got it anyway. Can't say I ever heard of others failing so readily... At £20-30 odd, it's probably far cheaper than repairs and worth a punt.

Soldato
I recently acquired a Tascam CD/MD unit which had a problem seeking and would cut out during playback, I stripped the unit down and found excessive wear on the wormgear which drives the laser. Would love to get it repaired. Got another Sony separates unit to test and 2 portable Sony units.

Got a box full of unopened shrinkwraped disks to play with, much more durable than the cd wallet full of ripped music back in the day for car play.

Minidisc might be small but that's 84 minutes of digital fun for us to enjoy or 160+ minutes if she's happy with it in one ear :D

Caporegime
At the time, they were the best, most affordable and useful form of recording for musicians on a budget. You could plug them directly into the sound-deck and capture performances, or record music off anything with a 3.5mm audio out. I used one for my session drumming and I know several street musicians who just plugged in a mic to review their performances.

I've no idea what people use nowadays, but I expect it's expensive or bulkier than a little MD.

If you say so... Mine still works fine, and it was second-hand when I got it anyway. Can't say I ever heard of others failing so readily... At £20-30 odd, it's probably far cheaper than repairs and worth a punt.

Something like this these days. Under £100 and tiny.

https://www.tascam.eu/en/dp-006.html

Soldato
Sorry, I only 'got it' after the fourth re-reading.
Either very subtle and clever, or not as funny as you initially thought... :p

Something like this these days. Under £100 and tiny.
About the dimensions of a Nintendo DS, uses four AAs as opposed to one, and only 8hrs operating time.
Not as expensive as I expected, though - I am quite pleasantly surprised, and almost tempted to get one, actually...

Soldato
Buy a new one! Discontinued since 2013! Buy a secondhand one - not worth the risk! Laser or mechanics likely to fail imminently.

Still have Sony separate and a Sony portable but hardware is so complex has a limited life. Will transfer things that are worthwhile but mostly not. Very tedious having to split 84 min discs into separate tracks. Mel
When I said buy a new one I thought it was obvious I was meaning new to him not new new, given you haven’t been able to get a new one in years and second hand ones are buttons but going up all the time.

Soldato
OP
I recently acquired a Tascam CD/MD unit which had a problem seeking and would cut out during playback, I stripped the unit down and found excessive wear on the wormgear which drives the laser.

I think that is "wear" my problem lies!

Mel

Back
Top Bottom