Yewen's months in thoughts on the S80b

Associate
Hi Yewen, I've run out of molex connectors running from my seasonic power supply - so I understand I can connect the 4 x dustproofs via the complicated connectors running off one spare molex? I gave it a go the other night but the fans didn't seem to run.

Sorry for being a dufus, but could you please tell me which connectors I need to use? Thanks again.

Associate
Yewen said:
Do you mean pass through molexs?

One end with a socket on, the other with a normal molex with a 3 pin wire coming off?

Erm, I'm not sure [blushes]. Maybe I can explain better:

accoustifanmk7.jpg

I've got 2 strings of 3 power connectors (what I call molexs?) on my Seasonic S12 600w PS giving me 6 connectors in total. I have used 2 on my optical drives and 2 on my IDE drives which only leaves me with 2 - but I have 4 fans to connect. So, I was thinking that those connectors on the additional cable that come with the fans could plug into one of the spare PS molexs to give me the ability to connect 3 or more fans off one PS molex??

But, I've tried that and it does not seem to work. The fans have no instructions with them so I don't know which colour ends are correct (not sure if blue, black and white are the same)? Are these things basically "molex splitters" or do I need to buy something else?

Maybe this still isn't clear :confused:

EDIT: and while you're here ;) ... you know the lian li bezel which hides 1 of the optical drives? When I use it with mine it keeps pressing in the CD eject button so that the drive keeps sticking in/out and not working properly? I wonder how I managed to get as far as I did if I can't work this out but any tips would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
You need to mount your DVD drive further back in the case. :)

You connect the fans to the white one I think for stock. Connect two fans as pass throughs for the CD drives, and the other two on their own.

Associate
Just built up my new beast in one of these and I like it a lot. Only downside so far is that i found it impossible to conect the pci-e power cable to my 7950. The cable that comes with the tagan psu is quite chunky and is physically impossible to fit. Had to use the adapter that came with the card and attach 2 4 pin molex to it.

beh

beh

Associate
Pretty much the same problem I had, the bulky shielded cable on my psu was a very awkward fit. Have you tried attaching the cable first before sliding it into the pci-e slot?

Associate
Reckon it would snap if i forced it down with that cable plugged in! No matter though.

One issue I am seeing is very high mobo temps. I'm pretty sure the air flow is all messed up. The big 120 fan at the back is sucking air in but inside the case it has that cover over the cpu fan which is blowing air up (I'd imagine it'd be best to turn the 120 around to help this hot air out quickly instead of the 2 colliding).

How have you guys arranged the fans inside your case?

Associate
hi guys, i finally got my rig up and running with this case, my temps are way high (cpu running at 53C idle :eek: ) , i'm going to try to reseat the cooler tomorrow but i don't think that is the problem because i checked for a firm seat when i installed

i've got 2 120mm dustrproofs at the front acting as intakes, a 120 dustproof at the back as an exhaust and an 80mm at the top - i've got the back exhaust flow thingy fitted and the internal cpu extraction shield thing fitted too - so assuming this is correct then i'm stumped/gutted

yewen - the dustrproofs in the front of the case should have the label facing inwards to the case and the rear fan have the label facing outwards shouldn't they??

any help much appreciated - i just spent £2,200 on this thing and it might catch fire any minute :(

Soldato
OP
Firstly asuming its a modern chip it is perfectly safe, they cut out well before damage (100deg+).

What is the CPU cooler, is it at stock?

Yes that does seem right with the fan orientation, something is not right with your thermal compound or cooler seating though, I have managed to get a Thunderbird to 55 in the S80 at idle (1.6ghz) which is really going some, something is not right.

What motherboard is it and is the motherboard reporting correctly, remmember the BIOS is not always right.

EG:

NF7 v2 with my 2400xp, = 80 load, revise the bios = 45 load.

Thats it, and the 45 was being generous aswell at that considering it had a delta on a Akasa Silver Mountain 2Q hooked up to it.

I follow this rule, if its stable, its fine. If you dont you are always hunting for lower temperatures, but I will say unless that is a P-D it is very high, if it is a P-D or Prescott, great temps!

Associate
Hi Yewen, its an e6600 and i'm using the stock cooler (had to because could not fit the scythe i bought onto the gigabyte ds4 board due to capacitors around the cpu not allowing the bracket to seat on one side :mad: )

Nothing is overclocked (heck, i don't know how to o/c yet lol).

I'm going to reseat the cooler this afternoon, making sure i clean the compound well with isopropyl and using a good reapplication of AC5.

But, one thing still making be think there is something wrong with the airflow is my hdd temps (seagate 400gb sata's) - they rise from 33C at boot, to 41C 10 mins later, without putting any real load on them - do you get similar temps with your hdd's?

Do you use the exhaust thingy that is connected to the rear fan and sits over the cpu? seems to me this might mess up the airflow a little, but you know infinitely more about this than me.

Regarding the bios reporting, speedfan and coretemp are reporting the same temps to within 1C of each other so I'm fairly sure the temps are correct.

Soldato
OP
All that speedfan does is copy the reported temperatures, so they are usually the same. ;)

I have removed the ducting on the rear fan.

The hard drives seem fine to me, all of mine that I have ever had do that.

If you think about it, and compare it to say cutting disk, as it spins it starts of cool when cutting, but slowly heats up until it reaches a certain temperature, push harder and it will heat up more, ease up and it will cool down but it will never go as low as it was when it was initially used to start cutting.

CPU's are the same, the idle temperature on my reserator 1+ is lower in the first 10 minutes than it is after 10 hours use.

Try reseating the HSF, but nothing really indicates any issue, my hard drives for the record:

32 on the Raptor = load
55 on the Caviar = load

Both of those are after defrags and file copying for the last hour. :) (Bit of WoW thrown in on the raptor aswell)

Associate
OK mate, will report back on temps after reseating and removing ducting. Maybe I'm getting worried just because of all the other people who post that there e6600's idle at 35C or something.

I've got a terrible feeling that one of the holes on my mobo which takes the pins for seating the cpu hsf is a dud ... we'll see I guess.

Bye for now.

Associate
Yewen, in spite of my confidence that I had the rear acting as an exhaust, it was actually set up to act as an intake. :rolleyes:

Now idling at 43C which is quite a bit better. Still might consider reseating but in the meantime sorry for wasting your time with my noob mistake of the day!

Soldato
OP
No worries, I have done much worse in the past month than that, forgot to plug the CPU fan in, the enxt 20 minutes I had was, oh darn why does it say CPU fan fail! :cool:

It is the stock heatsink so it is not that bad, what thermal compound are you using?

Soldato
OP
Ahh, your temperatures may be a little high then, I do not have a new Intel chip to hand, mainly due to being poor at the moment so I can't stick one in a S80 to see what temperatures I get with the stock cooler.

Someone else may be able to tell you if you post in the Overclocking and cooling section.

Any temperatures from a PC7+II or Thermaltake Soprano seem to be directly comparable to the temperatures the S80 cases get, do not know how many of the overclocking nutcases have S80 cases. :p

Associate
Ive started to clock the nuts off my X2 now but the case doesnt seem to extract the 'air' that well. The dual zalmans may have a lot to do with it, and im still not 100% about the seasonic S12.

I have noticed hot spots occuring on the case - at the very back of the case where the groove runs across seems to get very warm (and ive got top fan on!)

This is after a session on the battlefield mid you!

cpu 38
pwm 50
system 50

Soldato
OP
Temps seem fine if its stable, the S80 will always be a hot case, but not hot as in stability issues.

My side panels are very warm, scarily infact especially the internal ones, yet the actual temperatures that matter are fine. :)

Back
Top Bottom