You can't cook in a microwave

Permabanned
I can't stand scrambled eggs in the microwave. I find the cooking of scrambled eggs somewhat of a fine art to get them perfect (and completely cooked, hard and rubbery isn't my idea of perfect), this should be left to be done in a pan as it takes no longer than microwaving them anyway.

You're doing it wrong.

I very occasionally cook bacon in the microwave - it doesn't taste fantastic, but a bacon sandwich makes a half decent lunch if you're in a hurry (or too lazy to deal with the mess).

You're doing it very wrong.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I was about to dive in here and defend scrambled eggs in the microwave, but it looks like many beat me to it!

The trick to getting them as close to pan-made as possible is to really whisk it up well beforehand, cook it in small bursts of 10-15 seconds stirring inbetween, and to never let it cook completely. If you leave a small amount runny at the end, the heat from the rest of it will solidify it after you've taken it out. The absolute worst thing you can do is cook it completely and turn it to rubber - this is what I suspect 99% of people do who try it.

Permabanned
You're doing it wrong.

I'm not sure how - because you don't have a hot pan and the residual heat in the rest of the egg to continue cooking very slowly even after its come off the hob, I've found on the microwave it either stays runny, or it goes rubbery - I've never managed to get it inbetween.

As for the bacon, the best way I've found is putting between two pieces of kitchen towel - if you know of a better way, I'm all ears :)

POB

POB

Soldato
Microwave is great helping when cooking.

It melts chocolate much quicker then messing around with a pan over water.

When making toasted sandwiches in a toaster bag, microwave the sandwich first then place in the bag, makes it extra hot and melted.

Permabanned
I'm not sure how - because you don't have a hot pan and the residual heat in the rest of the egg to continue cooking very slowly even after its come off the hob, I've found on the microwave it either stays runny, or it goes rubbery - I've never managed to get it inbetween.

As for the bacon, the best way I've found is putting between two pieces of kitchen towel - if you know of a better way, I'm all ears :)

The better way is to cook scrambled eggs properly in the microwave, see Belmet's post.

The better way to cook bacon is to cook it another way, ie. grill it. It doesn't take any longer - it can grill in pretty much the time it takes to toast some bread, use foil if you don't want to make a mess.

I don't know how you can moan about microwaved scrambled eggs tasting bad and then mention ruining bacon in it!! ;)

Permabanned
Scrambled egg in the microwave? Jesus, people are lazy, that is vile.

You've obviously never tried it (or at least properly) - and why is it 'vile' exactly? :confused:

You say the weirdest things sometimes - cooking scrambled eggs in a pan is hardly michelin star cooking, if you can make it just as well in an easier way - why not?.

Soldato
It has a horrible texture and is easy to overcook. It's supposed to be runny and it's difficult to do in the microwave, plus I add crème fraiche and chives to mine. It's just easier.
I'd agree with this. It might be possible to do in the microwave, but it's definitely easier to get close to perfect in a pan. And it takes less than 5 minutes, so it's hardly arduous.

Permabanned
The better way to cook bacon is to cook it another way, ie. grill it. It doesn't take any longer - it can grill in pretty much the time it takes to toast some bread, use foil if you don't want to make a mess.

Awesome if you have a grill - mine sucks though, and takes ages to heat up.

Most of the time, I'll use a frying pan.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The better way to cook bacon is to cook it another way, ie. grill it.

Frying > grill.

It doesn't take any longer -

takes 1:15 seconds in the microwave for 4 rashers iirc.

As for the bacon, the best way I've found is putting between two pieces of kitchen towel - if you know of a better way, I'm all ears

you can get these little plastic trays with like 1cm high ridges on them that collect all the fat/water as it cooks works well.

Back
Top Bottom