Your best team of local players

Soldato
The best I could come up with:

GK: Ray Clemence - 14 years at Liverpool winning everything there is to win.
RB: Phil Neal - Maybe not regarded as a great but 11 years, 8 League titles & 4 European Cups can't be argued with.
LB: Steve Nicol - Older Liverpool fans always tell me he's the most underrated player to play for Liverpool. The best fullback the clubs ever had and could play in 4 or 5 positions.
CB: Alan Hansen - Picks himself. The best CB the club's had.
CB: Phil Thompson - Could only think of either him or Carra that met the criteria and he edged it.
CM: Steven Gerrard - Maybe not as good a CM (specifically) as Souness but only bettered by Dalglish in regards to the best player that's played for the club.
CM: Jan Molby - Touch and go whether he meets the criteria but I can't think of anybody else (worth considering) that does. An absolute genius of a player and despite him being a generation before my time, he's one of my all time favourite players. He's got a scouse accent so he counts imo.
RW: Ian Callaghan - Well before my time but I was struggling to think of many wingers fitting the criteria. The club's record appearance holder and won the lot.
LW: Steve McManaman - One of the most skillful players I've seen play for Liverpool and somebody the club's never replaced. Left in a bad way but he was a fantastic player and the only wide player I could think of.
FW: Kenny Dalglish - The clubs greatest ever player.
FW: Ian Rush - The greatest goalscorer the club's had.

-------------Clemence
Neal---Thompson--Hansen---Nicol
Callaghan--Molby--Gerrard--McManaman
-----------Rush--Dalglish

No Spearing? :o

Soldato
As you didn't want me to have Dalglish - Brucie only had 13 years in a 26 year career at LFC.

440 apps for Liverpool, 573 total. More than meets the criteria set out in the OP :)

And how can you not pick Hansen? :confused:

Personal choice :confused:

Tommy Smith and Phil Thompson would make a cracking partnership.

Edit: If I had the choice, Souness, Kenny and Digger would all be in there ofc

Don
Spent 3/4's of their career at the club? Brucie spent half his career sat on the bench at other clubs :p

Smith was before my time and as there were obvious alternatives, I ignored him. I'd have picked Hansen ahead of anybody anyway though.

Man of Honour
Steve Nicol is an illegal pick as well (born in Scotland, less than 75% of seasons at Liverpool, less than 75% of appearances at Liverpool), I would replace him with Carragher.
Jan Molby also not eligible... can't be bothered to check any more :)

p.s. did I ever mention I had Jan Molby boots as a child?:)

Last edited:
Don
You seem a bundle of fun HangTime :p

Molby's scouser than Carra and Nicol's only not eligible because he played on until he was 40 at lower league clubs and in the USA. 13 years and not far off 500 appearances is enough for me.

edit: completely forgot about Hughes - might have to replace Thompson with him.

Soldato
I got as far as 5 names (3 of which are really obvious) before my head started hurting trying to work out if such and such spent 75% of their career at the club or not, sorry Newts but that's the best you're gonna get from me :o :p

Man of Honour
The thing is it's actually quite hard to come up with a team, because the criteria are quite restrictive forcing people to pick older players that they may not personally have seen or know a lot about. You have to have a vaguely sensible formation and there may be one or two positions that are seemingly impossible to fill.

e.g. if you take the case of MU, you start off with the keeper, most people would be looking at De Gea, Van der Saar, Barthez, Bosnich, Schmeichel, Sealey, Leighton etc none of whom are eligible.

I'm a saddo who loves coming up with teams under various criteria (at school we used to make up London United etc) so I spent like half an hour coming up with mine, but most people can't be arsed so they either won't bother or will just include players who don't meet the criteria to get the team posted.

Soldato
-------------Welbeck
Welbeck---Welbeck--Welbeck---Welbeck
Welbeck--Welbeck--Welbeck--Welbeck
-----------Welbeck--Welbeck

I'm a saddo who loves coming up with teams under various criteria (at school we used to make up London United etc) so I spent like half an hour coming up with mine, but most people can't be arsed so they either won't bother or will just include players who don't meet the criteria to get the team posted.

RedCafe, the Manchester United forum, often have fantasy drafts based on certain criteria where a load of people draft and manage a fantasy team and pick turn by turn etc and then have 'matches' where they debate and discuss tactics and why their team would win etc. It's based on how the team works more too, rather than personnel.

It's one of the only reasons I generally visit RedCafe, bar some of the funny threads. The drafts are always a good read, I'll dig a thread up when not on mobile. Currently it's the Champions League draft.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Right, a United team based off the players in my lifetime:

GK - ...haven't a clue. Ben Amos if we're excluding loan?
DR - Gary Neville
DL- John O'Shea
DC - Jonny Evans
DC - Wes Brown
MR - Darren Fletcher
ML - Ryan Giggs
MC - Paul Scholes
MC - Roy Keane
SC - Wayne Rooney
SC - Lou Macari?

Almost stuck Welbeck on the wing until I remember Fletcher started out there! I didn't realise Irwin wouldn't be eligible!

Soldato
I'm glad to see everyone getting in the spirit :)

When you say 75% of their career with the club, how do you quantify that? Seasons/career apps? Trawling through various Liverpool players they actually went on, after leaving us, to play for many seasons at other clubs but only getting a few games a year.

Take Brucie as an example, he comes in at nearly 650 career appearances (out of 850) for us - number 7 on our all time list roughly. But when he left he went on for a number of seasons getting a few games here and there. Essentially 'only' spending 2/3's of his career with us. Same as Steve Nicol.

Back
Top Bottom