Your current Fish tank Setups!

Transmission breaker
Don
OP
Thats quite highly stocked for a 64Ltr tank tbh, the general rule is around 1" of fish per gallon, maybe a little more if the tank has a large filter. The clown loaches will get too big for that tank aswell, they get to around 10" maybe a little bigger when fully grown.

Good advice, it does seem a bit over-stocked, and you have a couple of tank-busters in there, so you will need to get a bigger tank asap if you are going to keep them

Soldato
My tank is 6ft x 1.5ft x 2ft and holds 112gal/510L of water and has a fluval FX5 for filtration

this is the old setup which had malawi cichlids in it

IMG_3820.jpg

this is the current setup which has roughly 50 tetras 7 corys 3 plecs and 2 humbugs and 1 panda garras the plan for this setup is to have discus in there soon

IMG_9438.jpg

IMG_9440.jpg

IMG_9446.jpg

Associate
I used to keep freshwater fish myself. However my main problem was I never had the time to clean the tank. I'm always working till late and when I get home I just collapse in bed. Although I did like my fish tank but if I just had more time to clean it then I'd be intrested in getting another one.

Transmission breaker
Don
OP
I wish i could get rid of my Algae which grows on the tanks sides. Every other week i'm scrubbing it down.
:(

How often do you have the tank lights on a day, how much do you feed your fish, and also how often fo you do water changes, and what percentage of water do you change?

What does the algae look like?

I used to keep freshwater fish myself. However my main problem was I never had the time to clean the tank. I'm always working till late and when I get home I just collapse in bed. Although I did like my fish tank but if I just had more time to clean it then I'd be intrested in getting another one.

Your should not need to do much more than small weekly water change, and a squeeze of the filter media in the old tank water once a month. About 10 minutes a month really! Basic freshwater tanks are not a lot of work!

Last edited:
Caporegime
Just to warn you folk - the smaller the tank, the more drastically the chemicals (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates - the waste from the fish and breakdowns thereof) can spike and endanger your fish's health.

I had a small tank a while back, and while it looked OK, I probably overstocked it. I also had a large filtered and heated bowl with a male Betta in it (beautiful fish), but because it evaporated quite badly (should have had a lid), the chemicals just became concentrated even after water changes and eventually left me with a dead fish.

+1

Caporegime
Good advice, it does seem a bit over-stocked, and you have a couple of tank-busters in there, so you will need to get a bigger tank asap if you are going to keep them

^^ Another thumbs up. Yup, clowns will get big, maybe the not quickest spurt of growth early on but they can easily reach 9 - 12" (or more). Way too many fish in that set-up imo. In one of my tanks, 84L, I had not even half that number. You have to allow them room to grow, or be prepared to give them to a suitable home if eventually you can't place them in a larger tank.

Last edited:
Associate
I'll post some pics this evening of my tank, not sure what Litre it is, some sort of Juwel, between 70 - 90,

4 x Clown Loach
2 x Dwarf Gourami (male and female)
4 x Guppies
6 x Dainais
2 x Dalmatian Mollys (horrible things, wish I never got em)
1 x Plec

lots of green plants and the centre piece! a downed Russian chopper! (the loach and plec live inside it), the Loach are brilliant fish, I love the way you can hear them biting the algae wafers at feeding time and the way they play dead sometimes!

the Plec is starting to get a bit big now, they grow very fast, the Clown loach are potentials for getting big yet they are still quite small, I'm looking at getting a corner tank in the next couple of months and moving the fish into a bigger environment!

Soldato
Photo from last year of my tank, not much has changed though, a few different plants and have lost a couple of fish to old age.

tank.jpg

Guppies
Kribensis (just one left now, child of my first breeding pair from a few years back)
X ray tetras
2 Dwarf plecs
Corydoras
2 Siamese algae eater, (did have 3 but one tried to swim through the hole in a plant pot and got stuck, managed to free him but he died from stress :( )

Living in London the water is awful, very high in phosphates so I get a lot of Algae as well. I have to clean the glass regularly, using CO2 and chopping the plants right back often helps as well, as their growth uses the nutrients the algae would use.

I've also started collecting rain water and mixing it 50:50 with the tap water to see if that helps.

Associate
Living in London the water is awful, very high in phosphates so I get a lot of Algae as well. I have to clean the glass regularly, using CO2 and chopping the plants right back often helps as well, as their growth uses the nutrients the algae would use.

I've also started collecting rain water and mixing it 50:50 with the tap water to see if that helps.

I've noticed this with the water as well just north of London in Herts, the water is very ****, I tend to leave my water a few days before doing a change and try not to do more than 15 - 20% every 2 weeks, I've not had any algae issues though in the time I've had my tank (over 4 months).

Transmission breaker
Don
OP
I have had BGA problems in the past, and it appears to be less since moving to a new area. The water into the new house is filtered before it comes from the taps now.
I am going to attempt a 4 day blackout of the tank to kill off what is left, and then introduce some more plants. I am also going to try and remove any dead spots to stop it from getting a foothold again!

Man of Honour
How often do you have the tank lights on a day, how much do you feed your fish, and also how often fo you do water changes, and what percentage of water do you change?

What does the algae look like?

I've been messing around with light for ages. I tried 6 hours which didn't make too much difference but killed off the plants. 10 hours the tank got green in days so with 10 hours daily the growth slows down but it's back within two weeks.

I fail to understand how I can stop it. With water temperatures at 24 it's a breeding ground for the stuff. oh and feeding is once daily.

Soldato
I've been messing around with light for ages. I tried 6 hours which didn't make too much difference but killed off the plants. 10 hours the tank got green in days so with 10 hours daily the growth slows down but it's back within two weeks.

I fail to understand how I can stop it. With water temperatures at 24 it's a breeding ground for the stuff. oh and feeding is once daily.

Unfortunately there are different types of Algae that could be caused by different things.

Is there a good turnover a water where the Algae is growing? Do you use any CO2 products? Your tank maybe lacking in CO2.

Soldato
i have had my tropical tank set up about 4 weeks have some neons in atm and plan to get some more tomorrow or sunday now readins have returned to normal but i want to get real plants aswell.

do real plants need a different bulb from the standard one you get when you buy a tank?

Soldato
i have had my tropical tank set up about 4 weeks have some neons in atm and plan to get some more tomorrow or sunday now readins have returned to normal but i want to get real plants aswell.

do real plants need a different bulb from the standard one you get when you buy a tank?

What type of lights do you have at the moment? It should tell you on the tanks sepcs, also how big is your tank(volume and depth)?

Associate
Been given a 180l tank from a relative has 8 tiger barbs 8 dwarf rainbows 3 red tailed black sharks an albino plec and a Peppered cory, all fully grown, and i popped in 2 giant fire bellied newts too

edit for clarity: all the fish where in when i got it.

Back
Top Bottom