Your current Fish tank Setups!

Transmission breaker
Don
OP
I've been messing around with light for ages. I tried 6 hours which didn't make too much difference but killed off the plants. 10 hours the tank got green in days so with 10 hours daily the growth slows down but it's back within two weeks.

I fail to understand how I can stop it. With water temperatures at 24 it's a breeding ground for the stuff. oh and feeding is once daily.

Do you ever do water-changes? Can you turn down the temp of the tank, im not sure what temps are ok with your stocking, but knocking it down a couple of degrees should not do too much harm.

What kind of algae is it? If it grows back in a matter of hours, it might be BGA?

http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm - look here

Man of Honour
Do you ever do water-changes? Can you turn down the temp of the tank, im not sure what temps are ok with your stocking, but knocking it down a couple of degrees should not do too much harm.

What kind of algae is it? If it grows back in a matter of hours, it might be BGA?

http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm - look here

It does grow back in within a day. It's the green speckled stuff GDA going by the link you sent :(

Sure, however It'll probably be tomorrow now as I've gotta go training and then we're off out for our tea.

In the meantime have a browse on here www.ukaps.org//forum.htm

They have sections on different aspects of of a planted tank, one scetion is on algea, it might prove helpful :)

Printed off for train reading :)

Last edited:
Associate
i have had my tropical tank set up about 4 weeks have some neons in atm and plan to get some more tomorrow or sunday now readins have returned to normal but i want to get real plants aswell.

do real plants need a different bulb from the standard one you get when you buy a tank?

if your tank is 4 weeks old a word of advice as I have been there and many others, try not to overstock it too soon! I ended up with new tank syndrome and nearly learn't the hard way, luckily the fish are all alive still and healthy :). I'm using the standard bulb that came with my juwel tank with the real plants. I have it on a timer to come on at 16:30 and go off at 23:30.

Soldato
What type of lights do you have at the moment? It should tell you on the tanks sepcs, also how big is your tank(volume and depth)?

box is in the bin so cant check but i think its just a standard light, tank is 60 litres and is 12" deap

if your tank is 4 weeks old a word of advice as I have been there and many others, try not to overstock it too soon! I ended up with new tank syndrome and nearly learn't the hard way, luckily the fish are all alive still and healthy :). I'm using the standard bulb that came with my juwel tank with the real plants. I have it on a timer to come on at 16:30 and go off at 23:30.

current fish have ben in 2 weeks all levels have gone back down so it should be ok to add more :)

Soldato
Cool tanks guys, this is my setup (small marine tank with a pair of clownish, firefish, peppermint shrimp, some soft corals and snails).

IMG_2243-Copy.jpg

IMG_2239-Copy.jpg

IMG_2233-Copy.jpg

IMG_2229-Copy.jpg

IMG_2227-Copy.jpg

Soldato
^^
/jelous

i cant wait to be able to afford the live rock for my 400L tank i have in the garage.

heres mine with 6 cardinals(i thought they were neons but wernt :p)
e6fadf90.jpg

25da0c44.jpg

want to get some live plants next week to fill the void rather than ornaments.

also iphone pics suck :/

Soldato
Please tell me you names HIM nemo! :)

This one is actually a female (Nemo was a boy), I originally named my clownish Terrance and Philip but since one of them is a girl now I changed it to Philippa LOL as it sound girly :)

This is a cool true story!!! :cool::cool::cool:

EDIT: Also utajoker - having 400L marine tank is impressive but this will cost you a fortune and this is not only for live rock, you need protein skimmers and other equipment in a tank this size but this all depends if you want fish only tank or reef tank which is even more expensive. You can get a lot of information from lets say ultimatereef.net which is a dedicated marine tank forum (probably the biggest in UK).

Last edited:
Associate
I have a really deep tank and want higher wattage bulbs but the highest bulb you can get which is 18 inches long is the 15 watt variety. What should I do? All the 30 watt bulbs are like 30 inches long!

Last edited:
Soldato
Aren't clownfish one of those animals that can change gender depending on others around him/her?

This is true.

Stolen from wikipedia

Clownfish live in small groups inhabiting a single anemone. The group consists of a breeding pair, which cohabit with a few non-reproductive, "pre-pubescent", and smaller male clownfish. When the female dies, the dominant male changes sex and becomes the female.[2] This life history strategy is known as sequential hermaphroditism. Because clownfish are all born as males, they are protandrous hermaphrodites (pro=first; androus=male).[3] This is in contrast with another form of hermaphroditism, known as protogyny, in which all fish are born as females but can change to males later.

Soldato
EDIT: Also utajoker - having 400L marine tank is impressive but this will cost you a fortune and this is not only for live rock, you need protein skimmers and other equipment in a tank this size but this all depends if you want fish only tank or reef tank which is even more expensive. You can get a lot of information from lets say ultimatereef.net which is a dedicated marine tank forum (probably the biggest in UK).

I can vouch for this. Our 5ft tank is 500 litres and you're supposed to have 1kg of live rock for every litre of water. At a tenner a kilo it gets very expensive very quickly. It costs a small fortune in electricity every month too what with 10 things that require plugging in.

I'm also a fan of Ultimatereef.net.

Back
Top Bottom