Your current Fish tank Setups!

Soldato
An update on my 240L tank
It's been in place for over a year now and the fish have grown a lot. We bought some very small Congo Tetra and after just 6 months they are now the largest fish in the tank. They will also eat anything - I left the cover open in summer to cool the water down. A wasp landed in the water and one of the Congo's grabbed it and was swimming around the tank with it half hanging it's mouth :cry: Luckily I managed to get it to release it by dropping some more food in.
We have probably had about £200 worth of fish die, not through poor water quality but reasons we don't understand.

I've also swapped out the large aircraft carrier for a helicopter, which free's up some floor space and adds some more cave space

Before

52368997014_9e8c0925d7_b.jpg

Current

52367743512_3a6bc57d7b_b.jpg

52368917238_bc29255d1d_b.jpg

52368917258_efc5f3f0a8_b.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Beautiful tank mate!

How much should I expect to pay for premixed saltwater from a local fish shop? I'm still wanting to try my hand at a small beginner marine tank, about 52 litres. Something that can be easily moved and maintained.

Associate
Beautiful tank mate!

How much should I expect to pay for premixed saltwater from a local fish shop? I'm still wanting to try my hand at a small beginner marine tank, about 52 litres. Something that can be easily moved and maintained.
maidenhead aquatics dwn here charge £6.50 !!! for 20/l premix .. absolute rip off when you can 10kg of salt for £25 and pennies for the water (3.5p/l at spotless water, less ? if you get rodi filter)

oh yes please! that would be amazing if not too late.

rotters

ye no probs gonna give my bush a trim at the weekend :D got plenty of subwassertang not a lot of java moss

Soldato
Thought id add a pic of my setup, decided to get into the hobby around July. Got the tank (Juwel Rio 240) Just been letting it develop in stages plants really starting to settle in now.

Its just a general community type at the moment, some rummy nose, glassfin, guppys. Couldnt resist a wee group of pygmy corys when i seen them in the shop then the usual clean up crew of ottos, some snails and a few amanos which i rarely see.

Ive recently added a couple of gold gouramis and not sure if they are sick or something as they literally stay hidden all day long. When i have a look round the tank they ar egenerally hiding under the driftwood. They are by far the biggest fish in the tank so i dont expect they are getting harassed. All my water parameters are good, any ideas? They are in the tank over a week now but seems they are over cautious.

Soldato
My daughter wants a pet and we've settled on a fish tank set up. I've kept tropical fish in the past (years ago) and I remember going through the process of making sure the water was correct PH etc but to be honest I've forgotten it all now.

Would anyone happen to have any bookmarks to guides on how to get set up with a simple cold water tank with a couple of gold fish? I want to make sure I'm buying the correct sized tank and pump etc. as I don't want to end up in a situation where we're waking up to dead fish and a distraught child once a week!

TIA for any assistance :)

Soldato
My daughter wants a pet and we've settled on a fish tank set up. I've kept tropical fish in the past (years ago) and I remember going through the process of making sure the water was correct PH etc but to be honest I've forgotten it all now.

Would anyone happen to have any bookmarks to guides on how to get set up with a simple cold water tank with a couple of gold fish? I want to make sure I'm buying the correct sized tank and pump etc. as I don't want to end up in a situation where we're waking up to dead fish and a distraught child once a week!

There's a lot of really good Resources on YouTube like King of DIY (though he's a bully and I don't like him) that will get you upto speed.

With goldfish I was told its a minimum of 100 litres a fish as they get big!

Soldato

I wouldn't recommend goldfish for a tank that size either. I had to break the news to my daughter that hers and died over the weekend, but it was out growing the tank anyway and we had been looking for a pond to put 'her' in.

My tank (very modest compared to some in here) further up the thread is purely fish that will live in an unheated tank and are more suitable to smaller tanks.

Soldato
Ok, I'll rule out goldfish. I think I'll start with the tank purchase and then get it kitted out with gravel etc. Next, I'll look at what fish I'm going to go for prior to getting the tank primed.

If it's for your daughter I'd look at Plattys, no heater needed and they are pretty fish, we've got an orange one that a child would call a goldfish and a black and gold one.

Soldato
Ok, I'll rule out goldfish. I think I'll start with the tank purchase and then get it kitted out with gravel etc. Next, I'll look at what fish I'm going to go for prior to getting the tank primed.

Platties are a good shout, can get some stunning guppies and my kids always loved cherry shrimp, I find them fascinating to watch. If its a small tank and you don't mind one fish a betta is a good way to go.

Mine started off chill enough with his tank mates for months before going on a murder spree.

Soldato
Platties are a good shout, can get some stunning guppies and my kids always loved cherry shrimp, I find them fascinating to watch. If its a small tank and you don't mind one fish a betta is a good way to go.

Mine started off chill enough with his tank mates for months before going on a murder spree.
Only issue with platties and guppies is they breed like rabbits.

Back
Top Bottom