Your current Fish tank Setups!

Soldato
do you have ammonia showing? If yes, don't add anything and wait it out. It's the first stage that takes the time as bacteria multiplies by cell division. Once you get to critical mass, you are away.

I would pick up a bottle of ammonia solution from a store, places like Homebase sell it for next to nothing. Using food is pretty tricky as it takes time to breakdown and its really easy to over do it if you don't see results quickly. With ammonia, you just pop in a few drops based on your tank size and you are good to go.

To be honest, I would also chuck in a bottle of bacteria to make it go faster, you could be done in a week. I don't have the patience for a full fishless cycle these days, it can take a month and it can be 2 weeks before you even see anything happening.

Soldato
N2OBkgn.jpeg
That was my previous tank. It was stocked with rainbow fish back then. I haven't had a tank for about 18 months now and got the itch again.

Seeing MD tanks do a puffer aquarium has got me really wanting to do something similar. The Fluval aquarium they used seemed pretty solid for price.

Last edited:
Associate
It's been years since I had a fish tank, and this thread is making me want one again! Whats the thought on something like this for cold water fish? I had a tropical tank before, but got fed up micro managing it, so want some simple and pretty to look at.

Soldato
The only difference between a temperate tank and a tropical tank is the addition of a heater.

The main thing with a tank is the more you have going on, the higher the load you put in it, the more you have to manage it.

Associate
Yeah definitely want to get back into owning an aquarium again. Going to keep an eye on ebay to see if I can pick up a tank on the cheap. Going to aim for at least 150 litres as a minimum.

Soldato
Where do people get their CO2 canisters from? Closest to me is like 90minutes away.
Iv always messed about with little canisters that do absolutely nothing and need to go big now but cant seem to find any decent solutions to actually get refills unless they are miles away. I thought fish shops would do it, but seems not.

Soldato
Where do people get their CO2 canisters from? Closest to me is like 90minutes away.
Iv always messed about with little canisters that do absolutely nothing and need to go big now but cant seem to find any decent solutions to actually get refills unless they are miles away. I thought fish shops would do it, but seems not.
Diving centres or adamsgas online been good. I set mine up with a 6.15kg bottle and get them switched out then. However you could go smaller if you want a cylinder to fit inside the cab. Generally a 3.15kg works well

Soldato
I used a 3kg adams gas when I ran CO2 but I had a dealer in the same town as me which was helpful.

People also use fire extinguishers, welding supply outlets will also do CO2. Worth checking what you have locally, they should be able to refill any bottle as long as it’s in date.

Soldato
I'm not getting any change in levels after all this time, so I'm going to pick up one fish to plop in there. A Platy was the suggestion?

It's a little bit bare as I thought I should leave the little fella with as much space as possible - should I be picking up a plant of any kind? Or will that just crowd such a little tank?

mlA90zM.jpeg

Caporegime
I'm looking for a smallish desk-sized aquarium, mainly for shrimp and plants/to act as a nice night-light feature.
However, if large enough, I'll consider fish as well/instead. So, I guess something in the 10 - maybe 15 gallon range.
Build quality doesn't have to be bleeding edge, though I would like something quite well-made, but the main point being
that it does not have a noisy pump/operation.

Any suggestions welcome based on personal experience. Thanks. :)

Soldato
I'm not getting any change in levels after all this time, so I'm going to pick up one fish to plop in there. A Platy was the suggestion?

It's a little bit bare as I thought I should leave the little fella with as much space as possible - should I be picking up a plant of any kind? Or will that just crowd such a little tank?

mlA90zM.jpeg
get some aqua soil for base instead of that gravel, plants and wood

Soldato
get some aqua soil for base instead of that gravel, plants and wood
Do you mean this stuff: https://aquaessentials.co.uk/products/tropica-aquarium-soil-3l?_pos=2&_sid=ca72e1943&_ss=r

Could I put that on top of the gravel without having to empty the tank of water?
What kind of plants would you recommend?

Soldato
Do you mean this stuff: https://aquaessentials.co.uk/products/tropica-aquarium-soil-3l?_pos=2&_sid=ca72e1943&_ss=r

Could I put that on top of the gravel without having to empty the tank of water?
What kind of plants would you recommend?
yes i suppose you could put in top of the gravel since you have a thin layer, just watch with aqua soil if you have fish already in you can get a ammonia spike while it settles into tank.
if you have a maidenhead aquatics near you pop in most of their plants are for easy aquariums,all i dose is liquid carbon daily, a bit of potassium once a week and a splash of Tropica premiumNutrition, always cutting back the plants every month they grow like mad :)

Last edited:
Soldato
yes i suppose you could put in top of the gravel since you have a thin layer, just watch with aqua soil if you have fish already in you can get a ammonia spike while it settles into tank.
if you have a maidenhead aquatics near you pop in most of their plants are for easy aquariums,all i dose is liquid carbon daily, a bit of potassium once a week and a splash of Tropica premiumNutrition, always cutting back the plants every month they grow like mad :)

I've got no fish in there yet, so have time to experiment. I'll try to source a decent local pet shop. :)

Soldato
Well at last i ordered the new custom build, had to knock the size down a touch due to the costs, still paid a hefty wedge for what i got though.
be here May to July.

72"(L) x 24"(H) x 24"(W) Marine Aquarium 12mm thick glass. Steel / glass bracing Black Silicone. Armoured Joints Sliding Glass Covers Opti- White front. Black / Background Back / Left / Right 2 holes Drilled LHS Overflow Box (synergy reef) 2 holes Drilled RHS Returns (25mm / 36mm holes) 4 Section Custom Sump. (diagram to be provided) 96”(L) Steel framed Base Cabinet 1000mm(H) to base of Aquarium 96”(L) Steel framed Top Pelmet 16”(H) – 3 lights. Centrally located steel brace for light attachment Right hand and Left Hand front – full height cupboards Assisted Delivery Right side panel – needs to be a door - ID

Soldato
I got the light fitting up and running, which means I now lose more time every day just staring at fish with an empty mind, a good thing IMO!

I'm already half stalking FB market place for a massive tank now....

Also, what I thought were water marks on the sides aren't coming off, I've used window cleaner, white vinegar and bleach spray but they haven't come off yet.

20220911-185030.jpg

The tank has really started establishing itself as a planted 'scape'. I've had to do a hasty bit of grass moving and stone pile building to provide shelter for fry but I think I've got one little warrior Platy who might make it without being eaten.

20230221-213941.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom