Your current Fish tank Setups!

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Classic problem, I went with an Eheim Pickup 45 in my 57L - adjustable flow rate from 50lph to 180lph. Another good option is the Elite Stingray 5. Just take out your existing filter media and float it loose in the tank, should be zero problems but you can always monitor ammonia/nitrite if concerned.

Aesthetics aside, you could go with an airline filter with such a small tank and only a beta, im not convinced they give good enough water circulation (and Beta's dont exactly stir up the water) but with the odd plant and a stir every so often i dont see why not. i'd keep the pump running for a week or so to allow the filter to seed prior to removing it mind.
i've used them in the past as an addition on a bigger tank hidden behind some decor and tbf it did seem to work pretty well.

I had a little play with the current baffle solution and I think I have it just right. It's agitating the surface enough but the flow isn't strong enough affect the rest of the tank. You can see in this video the plants aren't even moving from the flow so it's very localised. I put a bit of cut up filter media in the outlet flow nozzle :p

Soldato
Thinking of getting my daughter a small/medium planted tropical tank. I kept tropical fish years ago and more recently had reef systems that I broke down before having children. Moving to a planted system, is a co2 injection necessary for a decent planted tank? I've read varying accounts so would be good to get others perspectives on it.

Soldato
No but it helps and is really more about how much light you plan on using. More light for higher demand plants typically means a higher CO2 requirement and may need you to supplement it.

It really depends on what you want to keep. Some plants need lots of light, others don’t. The former may need CO2 injection, the latter will not. You can still create a really nice planted tank with plants that don’t need much light.

The depth of the tank also has an impact on how much light you need to use for a given type of plant.

Associate
I had a little play with the current baffle solution and I think I have it just right. It's agitating the surface enough but the flow isn't strong enough affect the rest of the tank. You can see in this video the plants aren't even moving from the flow so it's very localised. I put a bit of cut up filter media in the outlet flow nozzle :p

Yeah that looks like the correct flow to me :)

Associate
Quick question

Just gotten back into the hobby after 30 years with a 350l tank for tropicals
All set up, but noticed that one of my Angels is missing one of his lower big trailing fins.
It looks like he lost it as a youngster and didn't notice until a few days when I got him / her home

He is about 2 inches long at the moment and the fin seems to be completely missing from the body.
He / She seems totally fine and doesn't seem to be causing any issues with health, swimming etc

I am interested in whether Angels will grow these fins back ?

Soldato
Freshwater is easier and a lot cheaper. Plants are also easy if you buy the right ones. Some need strong lighting and co2 injection. Stem plants will grow in most, as will lotus and small lillies but you need to trim them often.

Soldato
Yeah, trouble is i wanted 4 yellow tangs and they have shot up in price a lot due to the ban, also want a purple tang, a good shoal of pyramid butterflys.

Yeah the yellow prices are extortionate right now. Hopefully the tank bred ones will become more widely available now.

I have a purple tang that I'm looking to move on this year. Shame you're so far away.

Soldato
Yeah the yellow prices are extortionate right now. Hopefully the tank bred ones will become more widely available now.

I have a purple tang that I'm looking to move on this year. Shame you're so far away.

Can't wait to get started, will be some time as i need a lot of gear bigger skimmer, more lights lol more everything.

Don
I got my first freshwater tank around 6 years ago, but after a tank crash that cost me ~ 40 cherry shrimp (the majority bred from my first batch of 12) I completely lost enthusiasm for the hobby and my tank has been very neglected for the last 2 years or so without adding any new stock as the original fish died of age.

I finally decided I wanted to try keeping a Betta so the last few weeks have seen an overhaul of my tank, a good scrub down of everything and replanting. Almost ready to go now :)

It's only a baby 70L tank, no space for anything bigger at the moment!

Back
Top Bottom