Your experience with OLED burn-in

Soldato
Just finished the latest Assasins Creed game and it's first expansion. I also played the previous two games and expansions

all of these games have a red bar at the top of the screen for the map hud

Combined I've put in over 300 hours now in these games with the same red bar on the screen and in HDR

Do I have burn in? I just did the test and the answer is nope, not even a little bit all pixels are still perfectly uniform even on a full magenta or full red background in a pitch black room

My LG C9 is a beast, it feels like burn is just a myth

Soldato
TV should dim the screen if there's a static image for a while? I've got exact same setup (LG OLED CX55 + Sky Q), I should check that. At least with HTPC the screen dims fairly quickly if you're not doing anything.

My LG C9 switches to a moving background after a minute of a static screen

Associate
That’s there on all models but only for built in apps. I think he’s talking about using an external device. My PS5 dims.

Yup, I was talking about Sky Q box, at least I've not noticed it dim when paused. Not that it's a big concern compared to windows desktop or toolbar/browser icons..

Soldato
My OLED65B6V is just coming up to 6 years old and it clearly has some burn-in. You can only see it when you feed the screen a solid red test pattern but it's there. Seems it's pretty common. Netflix logo in the bottom right. YouTube in the top left and right. Bloody frustrating as it was professionally calibrated after a few weeks from new. Only ever used on Expert Dark preset and having had many plasmas over the years I have always been careful with it.

Even though I've never seen the burn-in when viewing films and TV, the fact I know it's there royally pees me off.

Looking at getting a bigger screen in the new year and it has put me off OLED a bit.

I emailed LG the other day to see if they could fix it out of warranty. The response...

Thank you for your email, I hope you are well!
Thank you for confirming the details requested, these have been added to your file!
I have looked into the repairs for you and I am sorry to say that as the TV is now 6 years past the manufacturing date, we will not be able to offer a repair ourselves as parts begin to discontinue after this time frame. I do apologise for this! We would advise to possibly contact your retailer or a local engineer as they may be able to assist with this!
My apologies again for this and if you do require any further details, please do let us know!

Bit of a poor show.

Soldato
Not had an OLED TV, I have been put off by having several OLED phones that had burn in, green blobs on the screen, purple lines. Seems like an unreliable tech

Associate
My OLED65B6V is just coming up to 6 years old and it clearly has some burn-in. You can only see it when you feed the screen a solid red test pattern but it's there. Seems it's pretty common. Netflix logo in the bottom right. YouTube in the top left and right. Bloody frustrating as it was professionally calibrated after a few weeks from new. Only ever used on Expert Dark preset and having had many plasmas over the years I have always been careful with it.

Even though I've never seen the burn-in when viewing films and TV, the fact I know it's there royally pees me off.

Mine had a burn-in. Yellow streak at the bottom. LG replaced the screen (not the whole TV). Mine was 2.5 years old, I think. Now I carry out "picture refresh" once a month and have not had any issues for 3 years now.

Soldato
My LG C7 went 4.5 years without burn in (just ugpraded). We never watched any live TV stuff, only films and TV shows from streaming platforms and the like. We also regularly used it for gaming, including games with fixed UI elements. However, never exclusively. At most we'd spend 100 hours to beat a game with a fixed UI, but then we play something else after.

Man of Honour
Do they, the S95B for instance?
No idea about Samsungs, can't stand the brand, but I'm fairly certain LG offer (or did at one point) a guarantee against burn in for C1 models onwards. I have a CX and I paid the extra cover from John Lewis to cover against it.

Back
Top Bottom