YOUR Game of the Year 2023

Man of Honour
Tonight is the Game Awards for 2023, so might as well open my annual YOUR GOTY thread today too. There's been some big games released this year, some real duds and some real corkers. 2023 has seen the releases of Hi-Fi Rush, Dead Space Remake, Hogwarts Legacy (that really came out this year?? Seems SO long ago) , Atomic Heart, Resident Evil 4 remake, The Last of Us, Darkest Dungeon 2, System Shock remake, Age of Wonders 4, Diablo 4, Aliens Dark Descent, Shadow Gambit, Remnant 2, Viewfinder, Ratchet and Clank, Baldurs Gate 3, Armored Core 6, Sea of Stars, Starfield, Payday 3, Lies of P, Assassins Creed Mirage, Cities 2, Alan Wake 2, Lords of the Fallen, Modern Warfare 3 and more. Surely something for everyone in there somewhere.

The rules are the same as every previous year and the same "Note" applies. For those who havent seen the previous yearly threads, here's the info again :

Please Note : The rules I use for this causes complaints whenever I do this, so I will state at the start here that these are the rules that I use myself when I am weighing up the years games to pick which game was my game of the year. Theres nothing to stop someone doing an alternative poll which doesnt use these rules, these are simply the rules that I use. As with previous years, if you feel that no PC game that you played this year is worthy of being your game of the year, it is allowed to say No Game/Nothing​

Here are the rules :​

#1 - Absolutely NO multiple game choices, ONE game, ONE game only...NO top 3's , no joint GOTY, no "honourable mentions" - ONE SINGLE GAME.​

#2 - Must have been FULL released between Jan 1st 2023 and Dec 31st 2023 (which means that yes, a game which was in Early Access pre-2023 but got its FULL release this year, IS allowed)​

#3 - No titles still in Early Access​

#4 - No DLCs - must be a main game release​

#5 - Must be a PC game​
#6 - If you somehow felt that you went 12 months without playing anything decent, it is allowed to say that no game at all was your best game of the year. (though maybe make a New Year Resolution to find a more rewarding hobby :D )​
GO !

2023 Running Tally -

42 - Baldurs Gate 3
16 - Nothing At All
14 - Starfield

9 - Hogwarts Legacy
6 - Alan Wake 2
4 - Counterstrike 2
4 - The Last of Us

3 - Talos Principle 2
3 - Avatar
3 - Jagged Alliance 3
3 - Resident Evil 4
3 - Remnant 2
2 - Dave the Diver
2 - Lies of P
2 - Armoured Core 6
2 - Diablo 4
2 - Street Fighter 6
2 - Forza

1 - Aliens Dark Descent
1 - Cocoon
1 - Blasphemous 2
1 - Returnal
1 - Risk of Rain Returns
1 - Lords of the Fallen
1 - F1 2023
1 - Cities Skyline 2
1 - Warhammer Rogue Trader
1 - Robocop Rogue City
1 - My Time at Sandrock
1 - Atomic Heart
1 - System Shock Remake
1 - Dredge
1 - Viewfinder
1 - Wartales
1 - Brotato

Last edited:
Caporegime
Ooh, it's a tough choice between two but I'm going with The Talos Principle II. Fantastic game. And for 20 notes, it felt like I was cheating on the devs.

Last edited:
Soldato
Starfield

Kind of wins by default for me. I've not played many games this year but I have certainly enjoyed my time with Starfield. It's far from perfect but it has enough good to make up for the jank.

Associate
Been good year for games imo, own several of the games in OP list but BG3 takes GoTy for me, even though I have not got past act 1 yet.

Man of Honour
OP
Starfield doing very well amongst the Overclockers crowd, I dont think its going to do all that well at the games awards tonight but then thats the beauty of this yearly thread on OCUK, to see what titles I may have overlooked in the year based on OCUKs thinking

Last edited:
Reactions: TNA
Associate
Starfield doing very well amongst the Overclockers crowd, I dont think its going to do all that way at the games awards tonight but then thats the beauty of this yearly thread on OCUK, to see what titles I may have overlooked in the year based on OCUKs thinking
If there's one category BG3 is guaranteed to win at The Game Awards, it's 'Best RPG' - still, getting nominated isn't nothing - some solid competition in all categories this year but I think Larian's going to sweep most/all of what they've been nominated for - and good on them - BG3 was unquestionably a labour of love for them.

Back
Top Bottom