YOUR Game of the Year 2023

Man of Honour
OP
If there's one category BG3 is guaranteed to win at The Game Awards, it's 'Best RPG' - still, getting nominated isn't nothing - some solid competition in all categories this year but I think Larian's going to sweep most/all of what they've been nominated for - and good on them - BG3 was unquestionably a labour of love for them.
Larian definitely been the best studio this year imo, those presentation shows they did were superb

Soldato
I think Baldurs Gate 3 has to take it for me.

Its a close run thing between that and Starfield, whilst I preferred the setting and style of Starfield. The Gameplay and quality of BG3 really seals the deal.

Soldato
RE4 Remake, easily.

Didn't need months of patching to work and offered a complete package of polished gameplay, great atmosphere and insane replayability with lots of unlockables.

Quite a few games I liked this year, Returnal PC, Dead Space Remake, Armored Core 6, Street Fighter 6 and EA WRC but I have to go with RE overall, even though some were great.

Haven't played either BG3 or Starfield and Hogwarts Legacy was rather pathetic in most regards except being an atmospheric Hogwarts tour.
EA WRC is a disgraceful technical mess that should have never been released like that so that automatically disqualifies it.

That's all I've played this year.

Reactions: TNA
Associate
Starfield is the only game I've played this year that qualifies..... I ran out of steam with it around the 50hr mark.

Will be keen on this list for what games to pick up and play next year. BG3 and Hogwards are already on the list.

edit: correcting autocorrect to Starfield

Last edited:
Soldato
I’m guessing that the 2.0/2.1 releases for Cyberpunk 2077 aren’t counted as 2023 games, so my vote is for Aliens: Dark Descent.

Squad based shooter featuring Colonial Marines in the Aliens universe, what’s not to like?

Soldato
Was I supposed to write my choice and then something like "all day long" after it to try and give more weight to my choice among others?

Soldato
Street Fighter 6 for me, haven't really played any other new releases this year as they've mostly turned out to be a let down or buggy mess and then by the time they're fixed the want to play has worn off becuase I'm still playing Street Fighter ;)

Associate
Nothing to note
I tend not to play games on release, preferring for them to "settle in", gain a few stability / bug fixes and also the price to drop. The only benefit from playing "on release" is riding the hype train, but being an oldie, the hype train passess me by without stopping these days :cry:

Man of Honour
OP
Stargate is the only game I've played this year that qualifies..... I ran out of steam with it around the 50hr mark.

Will be keen on this list for what games to pick up and play next year. BG3 and Hogwards are already on the list.
I didnt even know there was a Stargate game this year ! I must have missed that, 50 hours seems like a pretty good length too, what sort of game is it? I've always thought a Stargate RPG would be pretty cool, or an RTS for that matter

EDIT : Ahhh, I suspect you meant Starfield. Though having said that, searching Steam for Stargate came up with this https://store.steampowered.com/app/1523650/Stargate_Timekeepers/ , which does actually looks pretty promising ! So silver linings and all that :)

Last edited:
Associate
I didnt even know there was a Stargate game this year ! I must have missed that, 50 hours seems like a pretty good length too, what sort of game is it? I've always thought a Stargate RPG would be pretty cool, or an RTS for that matter

EDIT : Ahhh, I suspect you meant Starfield. Though having said that, searching Steam for Stargate came up with this https://store.steampowered.com/app/1523650/Stargate_Timekeepers/ , which does actually looks pretty promising ! So silver linings and all that :)

doh! I'm going to blame it on autocorrect.

but you are right...... a well done stargate game would be sweet!

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Starfield.

May have been BG3 but not paying £50 for it. Once they drop the price to £35 I will buy it.

I did enjoy Resident Evil 4, but it is a remake after all. Got most pleasure from starfield in the end, even if I expected better.

Back
Top Bottom