Your iPhone - Unlocked or O2 contract?

Soldato
Does anyone know if iPhone will work on 3? Im really tempted to just get the iPhone anyway on O2 and have two contracts.

EDIT - It doesnt work on 3 :( Just as i expected.
I'm in the same situation.

I've been told the phone works on 3. However, I've also been told that when the phone goes 2G it starts roaming on Orange, therefore it costs 3 money. If they keep monitoring and find that you're roaming 24/7 it's likely that they may kick you off the network.

I spoke to a 3 advisor and because i'm tied up to an 18 month contract with them, they said I could use their sim in a 2g mobile provided that I manually change to orange in the phone settings.

So that way I won't get booted off for roaming. There are rumours going around of a new iphone which seems possible this year, that's why I'm holding out for a while.

If you have any issues, you shouldn't have problems resorting it and getting a refund? That's what a friend told any how provided that it's within 14 days.

Soldato
Put it this way... O2 wouldn't be my first choice, the signal at home is pretty rubbish and their online billing is absolutely abysmal. It broke a few weeks ago and only by getting Wicksta to sort it out did it get fixed :rolleyes:.

They're okay though, I guess. I couldn't be bothered hacking the iPhone every time new firmware arrives and I don't really care that I'm 'tied in' for 18 months - I don't forsee myself having any other phone now.

Soldato
jailbroken on standard £35 O2 iphone contract.

Ditto. Though only because I was too impatient to wait for my WiFi hardware to turn up so that I could unlock it :p

Although...
Since they upgraded the tariff it's not a bad deal and I couldn't be bothered breaking it every time a new firmware came out.
I have to agree :)

However, in the mcdonalds in Carlisle, I keep getting rejected when I put in my o2 mobile number, so won't let me on the network. This is annoying as it's meant to be free anyway, not just cloud users >.<
I'll give it a try next time I'm down.

Soldato
Put it this way... O2 wouldn't be my first choice, the signal at home is pretty rubbish and their online billing is absolutely abysmal. It broke a few weeks ago and only by getting Wicksta to sort it out did it get fixed :rolleyes:.

They're okay though, I guess. I couldn't be bothered hacking the iPhone every time new firmware arrives and I don't really care that I'm 'tied in' for 18 months - I don't forsee myself having any other phone now.

Yeah i cant be bothered to keep hacking it either, and the standard contracts arent too bad now tbh.

Their prices dont keep changing like Orange do they? :p

Soldato
Yeah i cant be bothered to keep hacking it either, and the standard contracts arent too bad now tbh.

Their prices dont keep changing like Orange do they? :p

I wouldnt go as far as to say "keep hacking", in my view I've got no lengthy contract, my tariff to me is better, and 10 quid a month cheaper, and all it was was to just activate the iPhone through ziphone which took 1 click and 5 minutes. (just posting this from my iPhone! Love the text correction!)

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have the official contract for the wifi etc and lose that initial hassle, but I think the new iPhone will be out by the end of the year and may have a different way of activation so no one can use it without the official contract, but being on a 30 day contract I can move easily. But even if it doesn't, I'm saving money in the meantime (to justify buying the 16gb model!) That's the plan!:D

Last edited:
Soldato
I wouldnt go as far as to say "keep hacking", in my view I've got no lengthy contract, my tariff to me is better, and 10 quid a month cheaper, and all it was was to just activate the iPhone through ziphone which took 1 click and 5 minutes. (just posting this from my iPhone! Love the text correction!)

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have the ofiical contract for the wifi etc and loSe that initial hassle, but I thing the new iPhone will be out by the end of the year and may have a different way of activation so no one can use it without the official contract, but being on a 30 day contract I can move easily. That's the plan!:D

Yeah, in all honesty im not TOO bothered about not getting the new iPhone straight away, they'll keep some of their value and i could just sell it later if needed.

The original contract has more than enough minutes, but ill definitely need the £7.50 unlimited text bolt on, as im sending 1000+ heh.

I dunno if i can be bothered with the hassle of hacking the iPhone, even for just upgrades etc, id rather it be hassle free and also get the free stuff in the iPhone contract.

Just gotta wait for this Orange contract to end now :(.

Soldato
Arrr none of this waiting around! Just get one now, unlock it, use with you're orange sim, when it ends, restore you're iPhone, activate onto o2!

You know you want to haha

Soldato
Arrr none of this waiting around! Just get one now, unlock it, use with you're orange sim, when it ends, restore you're iPhone, activate onto o2!

You know you want to haha

Haha, yeah thats most likely what'll happen - the contract will most likely be passed onto my mum anyway, with a number change.

Its just needing the upgrade to perhaps fund the 16GB model :p.

Soldato
In England I'm on the standard iphone ?35 tariff but in Australia I use Telstra pay as you go with a data bolt on, you get 80mb for ?14.

I'm really starting to appreciate unlimited data contracts, in a month I've used over 180mb! So basically its ?30+ without calls or texts!! Still at least Telstra has full edge coverage :) Back in the Uk I'd be using around 300 to 500mb.

I think the standard O2 deal is quite good if you use the iPhone for the web and youtube all the time. What's the O2 data bolt on like?

Oh and you have too unlock it regardless!
________
PLYMOUTH SCAMP

Last edited:
Soldato
I think so (not sure about 3), got a au vodafone pay as you go too which I use for calls. So many damn cap plans but none that do it all for a good price. That's what I like about the iPhone o2 contract, nice and simple to understand..
btw vodafone charge by the Minuit ($1) not by mb for data, on gprs that's the biggest rip off ever.....
________
MFLB

Last edited:
Soldato
One more thing, the build quality of these phones is simply awesome!
I've been using it on the beach constantly without any case or screen protector!! (kinda stupid I know ;))
All that sand, salt water and 30 deg heat have done sweet FA. My old sony erricson wouldn't have lasted a day with the abuse I've put it through!!
Guess the lack of buttons is the big thing! Had it since November and the grin factor still hasn't warn off :D
________
VAPORITE SOLO

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom