Your 'must see' TV shows from the last decade?

Associate
Been signed off work for 4 weeks following some surgery. I haven't watched TV in years as never have the time and nothing ever really seems to interest me enough. But watching telly is about all I can do so may as well embrace it!

I have seen stuff like Lost, Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones and really liked all of them, but that's pretty much it.

I'm not so keen on the super hero stuff. I prefer mysteries, thrillers, crime and fantasy. I got access to Netflix, Prime or don't mind paying for something if its really worth while.

Any essential viewing I've been missing out on in the last few years?

Soldato
Vikings is probably the best series I've watched on Prime or Netflix - I hear it has touches of GoT, though I've not watched that. It's not got dragons or goblins or whatever, though - historic more than fantastical.

The 100 surprised me at how good it was, particularly after a shonky first episode that made it look like some angsty teen drama. Season 2 and 3 are just incredible: made me think of Lost a bit (the earlier seasons). I've not watched beyond S3 yet.

I don't like superhero stuff but, for some reason, I watched Gotham - and found it fantastic. It's more crime than superhero.

Bosch is a decent crime show. It's nothing super special, but I enjoy it a lot. Goliath was also decent in the first season, didn't like season 2 though.

Permabanned
Man, so many that I can't think of right now xD

'Twin Peaks: The Return' ABSOLUTELY deserves a mention. It's fairly divisive, even amongst die hard fans of the show in general but by god, there really is nothing else quite like those 18 hours, even amongst Lynch's own film work. I know they're not of the last decade, but if you've not even seen the first 2 seasons, make that a priority. Greatest TV show ever made imho.

I still really like 'American Gods'. It does some really interesting stuff with the source material and although the later episodes in the series are a little feeble, it's still worth watching. Excellent direction and casting for the most part and with series 2 just around the corner I'd say it's definitely worth a watch.

'Band of Brothers'. Just excellent. One of my favourite shows of all time. Never met anyone that didn't like it.

'Him and Her' is an excellent little sitcom those surfaced on BBC 3 a few years back. One of the few Sitcoms since 'The Office' that's balanced the laughs with genuine romantic intrigue and heart. Love it so much. Just so well written in every regard.

'Dark' is also excellent. First 5 episodes are completely and utterly engrossing. Tis the first show since 'Twin Peaks' that I felt was working with some truly original material.

Associate
OP
Vikings is probably the best series I've watched on Prime or Netflix - I hear it has touches of GoT, though I've not watched that. It's not got dragons or goblins or whatever, though - historic more than fantastical.

Bosch is a decent crime show.
Oops I forgot to mention Vikings. I'm up to date with that but its all I've watched. I thought it was decent earlier on but has lost its way in the last series.

I'll give Bosch a try. Thanks!

Associate
OP
Man, so many that I can't think of right now xD

'Twin Peaks: The Return' ABSOLUTELY deserves a mention. It's fairly divisive, even amongst die hard fans of the show in general but by god, there really is nothing else quite like those 18 hours, even amongst Lynch's own film work. I know they're not of the last decade, but if you've not even seen the first 2 seasons, make that a priority. Greatest TV show ever made imho.

I still really like 'American Gods'. It does some really interesting stuff with the source material and although the later episodes in the series are a little feeble, it's still worth watching. Excellent direction and casting for the most part and with series 2 just around the corner I'd say it's definitely worth a watch.

'Band of Brothers'. Just excellent. One of my favourite shows of all time. Never met anyone that didn't like it.

'Him and Her' is an excellent little sitcom those surfaced on BBC 3 a few years back. One of the few Sitcoms since 'The Office' that's balanced the laughs with genuine romantic intrigue and heart. Love it so much. Just so well written in every regard.

'Dark' is also excellent. First 5 episodes are completely and utterly engrossing. Tis the first show since 'Twin Peaks' that I felt was working with some truly original material.

Twin Peaks is a great shout. I've never watched it but heard lots about it and I'm a fan of David Lynch's other work. I've just ordered the DVD boxset and it should arrive tomorrow. Looking forward to that!

I'll give American Gods a go.

Band of Brothers I watched when it first came out. Very good.

I did see Dark while browsing Netflix. Looked mildly interesting so if you think its good I'll give that a go too.

Permabanned
Like the OP, TV doesn't interest me that much even though we have more of it than ever via Netflix, Amazon, I haven't really got the time
or the concentration to binge watch 90 episodes of anything.

However true crime stuff like The Staircase and Making a Murderer [ both somewhat one-sided editorially ] have been gripping.

Soldato
The West Wing - still re-watch it to this day!
Suits - nice premise but goes off the rails a bit later on!
Chicago Fire
Madame Secretary
Parks And Recreation
Better Call Saul - picks up after a slow start imo
Entourage
Battlestar Galactica (reimagining)

I'm sure there is loads more but just can't think right now!

Permabanned
Twin Peaks is a great shout. I've never watched it but heard lots about it and I'm a fan of David Lynch's other work. I've just ordered the DVD boxset and it should arrive tomorrow. Looking forward to that!

You're in for an absolute treat pal. Kind of jealous that you're going to be seeing it for the first time actually :p

Be sure to head back on and tell us what you thought of it! There is actually a Twin Peaks thread here somewhere so I'll keep my eyes peeled for that resurfacing ;)

Associate
Stretching the 'decade' thing a bit but:

Life on Mars - Absolute classic. John Simm is fantastic and Philip Glenister is forever going to be typecast as Gene Hunt
Ashes to Ashes - Follow-on series. Not as good, but gets better towards the end of S1 and into S2. Worth it for the 'closure' of both at the end of S3 (can't go into more detail without spoilerage

A Touch of Frost - I may be out on a limb here, but I really enjoy the re-runs on FreeView. David Jayson plays the part to perfection.

Would guess it would be down to your personal taste. There's nothing like GOT out there. Many try but fail. Personally I like True Detective series 1 and 3, not 2, I quite liked Travellers on Netflix, 11.22.63 was good, Black Mirror, Colony, Counterpart, Fargo, Godless, Happy!, Legion, Luther, Mindhunter, Narcos, Outcast, Orville, Ozark, Preacher, Sharp Objects, Sneaky Pete, Star Trek Discovery, The Terror, Tin Star, Vinyl, Waco, Westworld, The Wire.

Back
Top Bottom