Your Neighbours

HC1

HC1

Permabanned
For most of my life I've rented and moved around a lot and lived in exclusive/detached homes where I never even met any of my neighbours or even saw their faces to know who they were. Things changed not long ago and I can't afford that luxury lifestyle anymore so I've been forced to interact with very close neighbours much more lately. I'm doing okay but it's a struggle always trying to keep the peace and be nice so I'm just wondering how you lot deal with your neighbours and prevent wars over "issues"?

Soldato
What are the issues?

I live in a flat and the only issues are odd next door neighbours who seem to rifle through the bins (I can hear them doing it) and a new downstairs neighbour who seem to move with the grace of an elephant and slam every door.

Last edited:
Soldato
I actually get on with my neighbour really well - couple on one side, and new neighbours on the other side. Our schedules differ, so don't tend to bump into them that often, but can have a good long chat when I do bump into them.

It's seriously worth making an effort with your neighbours, you just never know when you might need something, or someone for help.

HC1

HC1

Permabanned
OP
Why would it be a struggle to be nice and keep the peace?

I manage it by being a reasonable person. The difficulty is when other people are not.

Thanks for your reply. My problem is that I really don't know how to deal with neighbours or people in my personal space uninvited. I've got some very colourful (but nice/reasonable) characters in my block that I would rather not even know but I have to deal with them and their behaviour because we all live here in the same building. Everything is cool right now but I feel tensions are building over a few things...

Associate
For most of my life I've rented and moved around a lot and lived in exclusive/detached homes where I never even met any of my neighbours or even saw their faces to know who they were. Things changed not long ago and I can't afford that luxury lifestyle anymore so I've been forced to interact with very close neighbours much more lately. I'm doing okay but it's a struggle always trying to keep the peace and be nice so I'm just wondering how you lot deal with your neighbours and prevent wars over "issues"?

You should have bought a detached house when things were going well as an insurance policy against harsher times.
Perhaps emigrate to somewhere that offers detatched accomodation within range of your current financial circumstances.

HC1

HC1

Permabanned
OP
You should have bought a detached house when things were going well as an insurance policy against harsher times.
Perhaps emigrate to somewhere that offers detatched accomodation within range of your current financial circumstances.

I did that mate. My ex wife lives in my "real" home now with 4 kids (and only 1 is mine) but I'm still paying for it !

Soldato
Thanks for your reply. My problem is that I really don't know how to deal with neighbours or people in my personal space uninvited. I've got some very colourful (but nice/reasonable) characters in my block that I would rather not even know but I have to deal with them and their behaviour because we all live here in the same building. Everything is cool right now but I feel tensions are building over a few things...
Oh right.
Well when you see them, just smile, say hi, and carry on about your day. It's not really any more complicated than that.

My advanced course includes such topics as:
- How to nod politely when your neighbour starts telling you a boring story.
- How to accept a delivery for someone else, and then give them the parcel later.
- How to make inane and repetitive comments about the weather.

But I'm afraid it's a paid subscription.

HC1

HC1

Permabanned
OP
My advanced course includes such topics as:
- How to nod politely when your neighbour starts telling you a boring story.
- How to accept a delivery for someone else, and then give them the parcel later.
- How to make inane and repetitive comments about the weather.

But I'm afraid it's a paid subscription.

That's top quality humour. Kudos to you Sir :)

Man of Honour
We've had this topic at least twice in recent times :s

Where I'm living at the moment there are a lot of bigger estates and recently retired people, etc. and apparently according to the local trades people, etc. many of them have nothing better to do than get into disputes with each other, fortunately our immediate neighbours aren't a problem at all though.

Fortunately the vast majority of my life I've not had to deal with problem neighbours, but we've rarely had much to do with the neighbours other than in passing.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've been forced to interact with very close neighbours much more lately. I'm doing okay but it's a struggle always trying to keep the peace and be nice so I'm just wondering how you lot deal with your neighbours and prevent wars over "issues"?

Looks as though Vladimir Putin has created another forum account...

Soldato
I actually get on with my neighbour really well - couple on one side, and new neighbours on the other side. Our schedules differ, so don't tend to bump into them that often, but can have a good long chat when I do bump into them.

It's seriously worth making an effort with your neighbours, you just never know when you might need something, or someone for help.

Is that when good neighbours become good friends?

HC1

HC1

Permabanned
OP
We've had this topic at least twice in recent times :s

Sorry, but I haven't been here long enough to know all the threads that happened in the past. I'm sure most topics must repeat themselves and be similar to discussions older members have had before.

Back
Top Bottom