Your strange beliefs as a child

Soldato
I can't remember much apart think that the tooth fairy was real... I did see this on post another forum about this very same subject which made me chuckle:

When I was young my father said to me:
"Knowledge is Power....Francis Bacon"
I understood it as "Knowledge is power, France is Bacon".
For more than a decade I wondered over the meaning of the second part and what was the surreal linkage between the two? If I said the quote to someone, "Knowledge is power, France is Bacon" they nodded knowingly. Or someone might say, "Knowledge is power" and I'd finish the quote "France is Bacon" and they wouldn't look at me like I'd said something very odd but thoughtfully agree. I did ask a teacher what did "Knowledge is power, France is bacon" meant and got a full 10 minute explanation of the Knowledge is power bit but nothing on "France is bacon". When I prompted further explanation by saying "France is Bacon?" in a questioning tone I just got a "yes". at 12 I didn't have the confidence to press it further. I just accepted it as something I'd never understand.
It wasn't until years later I saw it written down that the penny dropped.

:D

Don
My cousin asked his mum this question when he was 10 years old..

"What was it like in the black and white days? How could you tell if bread was going off it was all just grey?"

Soldato
My grandparents used to collect used tin foil, the stuff that you cover roast beef with etc, they said blind charities are always requesting it - I honestly thought it was to help blind people see :/

Only since getting older have I realised it was for its monetry value rather than it's optical value.

Permabanned
I was quite philosophical as a child and I believed that there was a "soul particle" in your brain that traveled off when you died, and that your body was like some kind of vehicle.

Yes, weird. :/

Associate
I think it's pretty common. The Matrix is based on it more or less, and The Matrix was hardly original. It's a common sci-fi and philosophical theme.

I was thinking it though long long before I was exposed to any of that.

It's possibly a symptom of the way our minds work - in the same way that we're programmed to see patterns when none exist, etc.

Same here, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I used to think that people were watching me on tv's as I walked up the street (like the Truman Show) but a long time before it - weird.

Back
Top Bottom