YouTube Premium

Man of Honour
I pay for it, but then we can as a family have access to music and content across multiple accounts (up to 5) which allows us to listen to music and watch youtube videos without adverts and is just handy. We have a few google hubs and speakers in the house so it made sense to have the paid account and honestly I get a lot of use out of all the devices and youtube/music so it's worth it.

Permabanned
It's not you. The ads are going through the roof. I'm getting 2 ads (about 30s worth) every 2-3 minutes on some videos. It's getting ridiculous.

I won't be paying for Premium tho.

Use Firefox Focus and disable the scripts/trackers on the top right, No more ads period. The only other way is skip to the end of a video and click replay. The second view has no ads either.

You do not need to pay to avoid ads...

Permabanned
That's a good tip, will try it!

It will work unless the video was on your watch later list, If so remove it refresh and again skip to the end let it finnish and click replay. It works but the FF method is just plain better because the whole Google ecosystem tracks you like big brother.

Thats why i insist they are not a nice company to pay, They mentioned streamers needing a license from a game company to stream thier content also so red flags everywhere.

Associate
I don't mind paying for something if it supports the platform and I don't have to deal with any ads.

Wish most news sites would do the same. I'd pay 50p / £1 a month or something, some give me the option however many still do not. It's either view ads or they try to block you!

Associate
I prefer Ghostery and UBlock Origin which does a fantastic job of blocking YT adverts as well as speeding up page loading by a huge amount by blocking adverts and social media stuff - dropping from 40+secs to under 3 for things like Icanhazcheezburger for example which is quite advert/SM heavy.

For the creators on YT I actively want to support, there are far better methods of doing that directly for me than YT adverts in which Google takes 40% IIRC, making $15 Billion from YT adverts alone last year!

Could throw in sponsorblock to automatically skip sponsor sections and social media interaction reminders. Can't remember who mentioned it on here but I'm glad I added it.

Soldato
Could throw in sponsorblock to automatically skip sponsor sections and social media interaction reminders. Can't remember who mentioned it on here but I'm glad I added it.

Thanks for the mention, added it a few minutess ago and tested it on a couple of known "heavy sponsor" videos and with it selected to Manual (my preference over Auto) it's great!

Caporegime
They mentioned streamers needing a license from a game company to stream thier content also so red flags everywhere.
I have no objections to this.

The game devs are the real content creators, and they should be rewarded fairly for that.

The streamers are basically just running their mouths whilst playing some game. These social media "influeners" or "celebrities" are making a generous income off the backs of the hard work put in by the designers, artists, coders. People with real talent.

Needing a license to stream strikes me as pretty reasonable - with the caveat that people not monetising their streams should be exempt - only the people absolutely raking in the money via Twitch (etc) should be asked to make a contribution.

We all know that some of these streamers are making thousands of $$ every month from basically playing vidya. I can see why the studios would feel a bit hard done by.

Soldato

The game devs are the real content creators, and they should be rewarded fairly for that.

The streamers are basically just running their mouths whilst playing some game. These social media "influeners" or "celebrities" are making a generous income off the backs of the hard work put in by the designers, artists, coders. People with real talent.

Needing a license to stream strikes me as pretty reasonable - with the caveat that people not monetising their streams should be exempt - only the people absolutely raking in the money via Twitch (etc) should be asked to make a contribution.

We all know that some of these streamers are making thousands of $$ every month from basically playing vidya. I can see why the studios would feel a bit hard done by.

However the streamers either bought the game (or the game is free to play), which ends the contribution they have to give. What the streamers do after buying it is just pure advertising for the games company, bringing that company extra fans, more games bought so more profit etc.

If a studio wants all the massively bad PR from wanting even more money from streamers, and suffer the very real risk that the streamers stop buying, advertising and creating hype for the game and move onto a game from a company who openly doesn't want to charge (bringing all their paying fans onto the new game with them) then thats their very poor financial-motivated choice.

Streamers are an immense free advertising platform for a company. Should streamers therefore ask the games company to pay for their time and efforts in advertising the game they play as that would also be fair?

I'm not a streamer (I rarely find time to play games TBF now I'm mid-40's) but I can see both sides of the argument here.

Soldato

I've often thought this tbh. Just because the class clown got a capture device and microphone and is uploading to YouTube doesn't really make them worthy of generating revenue off the back of the effort put in to making the game.

It used to be people would promote a game as a thanks to the developer and share it with fans. Now typically it's just a vehicle for self-promotion and income.

I notice though, that there are more and more "baked in" ads within the actual videos , Linus Tech Tips is one of the worst for this, but easy enough to skip past.

Should content creators be bypassing Youtubes ad system though that's the question. They pay for the cost of hosting the service so why does Linus get to sell ads on his videos when YT see none of this money?

I personally think Linus is a bit of an annoying twerp, he's been very good at building up the channel as it is now, but the way he goes on about Linus Media Group and being CEO etc anybody would think he is owner of some huge conglomerate. He also admitted to being a bully at school which I could quite imagine.

Ah yes, Steve. I see him with his stack of papers and can't skip his vids fast enough, they're literally just 40 mins of a guy reading off a script with a rather holier-than-thou attitude. If he had a bit of personality it wouldn't be so bad but his voice has literally made it possible to hear the colour beige.

It does make you laugh. These cutting-edge tech presenters, literally just some tech fanboy who regurgitates facts from the internet in some pretentious fashion and gets adored by a load of other lesser tech fanboys like he's some professor of science.

The whole Nvidia RTX launch was sickening to watch as well how they'll lavish cards upon these tech channels for free and yet the viewing public couldn't even buy them for real. The way things have become now it's all so fake and built on media hype.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Should content creators be bypassing Youtubes ad system though that's the question. They pay for the cost of hosting the service so why does Linus get to sell ads on his videos when YT see none of this money?

I personally think Linus is a bit of an annoying twerp, he's been very good at building up the channel as it is now, but the way he goes on about Linus Media Group and being CEO etc anybody would think he is owner of some huge conglomerate. He also admitted to being a bully at school which I could quite imagine.

Who was he bullying? 5 year olds? Imagine what you would have to be like to be bullied by him.

Soldato
I do laugh when those paying in Rupees, miss out of free stuff. Most recently Stadia controller and ultra HD Chromecast.

The money i've saved paying in Rupees in a year could pay for those two items if I chose. Instead I use that saved money on items i'm actually interested in purchasing.

Caporegime
I do laugh when those paying in Rupees, miss out of free stuff. Most recently Stadia controller and ultra HD Chromecast.

I'm on neither side of this fence but the Stadia is being given away for a reason, they're redundant junk, DOA.

The Chromecast is nice but I suspect most folks having this discussion will already have one and if not, the money saved every month could buy you many, many chromecasts over the duration of your subscription.

Back
Top Bottom