Youtube to end monetization on channels with less than 1,000 subs

Associate
There's a few other things going on with YouTube. If you make content that can be considered "liable to offend" you will likely lose your monetisation as well.

I sub to Virtually Vain who makes those African War Lord prank videos. They're pretty funny but he's lost his sponsorship. In light of the H&M fiasco and other such shenanigans it looks like YouTube are not going to touch anyone or anything that isn't kosher or kid friendly.

It's a worrying time for YouTube. It's understandable that they'd want to distance themselves from unsavoury content, likewise I can see why they would think that small channels are no longer profitable. But YouTube will live and die by it's content. If it just becomes a "digital Disney channel" then I wouldn't be surprised if people just migrate to some other platforms.

Soldato
Link the channel!

If it just becomes a "digital Disney channel" then I wouldn't be surprised if people just migrate to some other platforms.

To be honest, the rush to get a monetized you tube channel did fill YouTube with a lot of crap and copy videos. People trying to be quirky and edgy through borderline nonPC material is pretty cringey and is all over YouTube. I have no issue with their stricter monetizing requirements.

Before every teenager that played a game or had a camera rushed for cash, YouTube was still a good platform and arguably better in some ways. Now a lot of content driven by passion is lost among Try-hards trying to get rich quick. I am sure demonetizing content that could be offensive wont have an effect on teh better videos out there.

Soldato
I’m in the same boat it seems...only 154 subscribers (it’s a Slot Machine Channel) but my watch time is the thing ive probably narrowly missed out on! Have plenty of material waiting so will need to go on an uploading spree and see if I can hit that 4000hrs mark :p

My links here btw https://t.co/nc7hZpaQ1Z

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I’m in the same boat it seems...only 154 subscribers (it’s a Slot Machine Channel) but my watch time is the thing ive probably narrowly missed out on! Have plenty of material waiting so will need to go on an uploading spree and see if I can hit that 4000hrs mark :p

It requires 4000 hours and 1000 subscribers unfortunately...

Soldato
It requires 4000 hours and 1000 subscribers unfortunately...
that's the hitting point.. not the subs :) 1k subs is do-able but 4000 hours in the last 12 MONTHS is what will kill many small channels.

and all the turdheads will continue racking in money.. google does make some weird decisions, rather than punishing an idiot that started it all they punish all the smaller/starting channels. Jokers.

Soldato
Looks like I'll be loosing monitisation also. I'm even further away from thresholds.

I wasn't exactly making any money as pretty much all my videos get instantly demonitised because the content is political - one political type channel I follow reported only £80 revenue for his last 4 million views because of this. Even so, it was nice to see a penny or two roll in.
I'm not sure how many people making content part time whilst in full time employment can hit the new threshold.

Soldato
that's the hitting point.. not the subs :) 1k subs is do-able but 4000 hours in the last 12 MONTHS is what will kill many small channels.

and all the turdheads will continue racking in money.. google does make some weird decisions, rather than punishing an idiot that started it all they punish all the smaller/starting channels. Jokers.

To be honest, they do punish the bigger channels. Their videos are demonetized and their content is jduged fairly strictly. Sometimes large projects are dropped and all the money and time that had gone into making them are wasted before release.

I personally think this a good move. There was no need to monetize low view/subscriber channels. The motivated will continue to release videos. Those looking to be helpful or the passionate will still release with or without the minor cash bump. It is unfortunate some serious channels will lose a tiny cash amount but it should not effect their decision to continue their hobby.

Personally, i feel that youtube would be better if they had done this earlier. This will remove the clickbait knobs who don't deliver on content.

Youtube are a free video hosting/viewing website that allows you to host as much material as you want privately and publicly. They make money from adverts shown on popular videos but that is sort of a bonus and an incentive to keep releasing if you are very popular. AFAIK until recently youtube was not really making money and its success was mainly measured as a boom in popularity and influence.

Last edited:
Soldato

Ah damn, didn’t clock it was both! My problem mainly then is subscribers as my type of content has got me close to the hours in the last 12 months! Will just need to chip away again as I’ve certainly lapsed in content over the last while.

Man of Honour
OP

mines a slot/fruit machine channel as well :D
subbed 2 u ;P

Man of Honour
OP
Out of interest and (nosiness!), how much does a channel roughly of your size and viewing hours pull in through monetization? (Not specifics).

since i started 2 years ago just shy of £400, started slowly and has gradually got better, so maybe ~£100 in year 1 and ~£300 in year 2

Back
Top Bottom