Youtube to end monetization on channels with less than 1,000 subs

Man of Honour
Just had an email from Youtube, as i only have 844 subs atm im going to lose monetization :(

Today we are announcing changes to the YouTube Partner Program (YPP). While our goal remains to keep the YPP open to as many channels as possible, we recognise that we need more safeguards in place to protect creator revenue across the YouTube ecosystem.

What's Changing

Under the new eligibility requirements announced today, your YouTube channel, is no longer eligible for monetisation because it does not meet the new threshold of 4,000 hours of watch time within the past 12 months and 1,000 subscribers. As a result, your channel will lose access to all monetisation tools and features associated with the YouTube Partner Program on 20 February 2018 unless you surpass this threshold in the next 30 days. Accordingly, this email serves as 30 days notice that your YouTube Partner Program terms are terminated.
One of YouTube’s core values is to provide anyone the opportunity to earn money from a thriving channel. Creators who haven’t yet reached this new threshold can continue to benefit from our Creator Academy, our Help Centre and all the resources on the Creator Site to grow their channels. Once your channel reaches the new threshold, it will be reviewed to make sure it adheres to our policies and guidelines, and if so, monetisation will be re-enabled.

this really sucks, ive had a lot more than 4,000 hours of watch time over the last year (~11k)
but im not going to get another 156 subs before the cut off date :(
anyone else affected by this?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
I’m in the same boat it seems...only 154 subscribers (it’s a Slot Machine Channel) but my watch time is the thing ive probably narrowly missed out on! Have plenty of material waiting so will need to go on an uploading spree and see if I can hit that 4000hrs mark :p

My links here btw https://t.co/nc7hZpaQ1Z

mines a slot/fruit machine channel as well :D
subbed 2 u ;P

Man of Honour
OP
Out of interest and (nosiness!), how much does a channel roughly of your size and viewing hours pull in through monetization? (Not specifics).

since i started 2 years ago just shy of £400, started slowly and has gradually got better, so maybe ~£100 in year 1 and ~£300 in year 2

Man of Honour
OP
What's your channel?

This. Come on, link!

@cainer What's your channel? I'll sub.

Naked fishing with Cainer. Just vids of him trotting round the south coast in his birthday suit, dangling his worm in the sea now and then.

+1
I'll sub as well

@cainer link your channel you git :p

Ah.
I was going to subscribe to help him out....

turns out I'm already one of the 844! :p

its a Fruit machine / Arcade channel :p
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAS7EL-sm2_r4LqPTbaxX9w

Man of Honour
OP
Subbed. Do you ever do pub style fruits?

I can watch someone play a good noel machine all day for some reason. So hypnotic

cheers, ive got quite a few deal or no deal machines on there but just £5 versions, ive only a couple of pub machines though as they tend to stop you from filming

Man of Honour
OP
as theres a £60 threshold you have to pass to get a payout, what happens if you have less than £60 in your adsense account when they turn monetization off on the 20th of Feb?
will they pay you what you're owed or will they simply keep your cash? i cant find any info on that, this could end up being a big cash grab by Youtube :/

Man of Honour
OP
on the final push now as monetization gets switched off next tuesday (20th) for people with <1k subs, im upto ~950 and thankfull for the support shown here :)
if anyone else needs support for their channel then speak up and we can help you

Back
Top Bottom