Caporegime
Jokes on you. She was just stating facts that are already on the CDC website for everyone to see.

she's a well known crank who was trying to distort facts and try to present some sort of anti vax argument... I don't want to disrupt this thread by criticising the conspiracy theory stuff you're so ready to buy into but please do start an anti vax thread if you want to discuss further

Man of Honour
I was aware from my minor interest in history that making transparent glass is very difficult, so I was pleased to find a video on making transparent glass from scratch. Really from scratch - the materials required were gathered from river banks, lakes, old mines and suchlike and the furnace was built in someone's back yard from a rubbish bin.

The full video is in three parts, one from each of the three different Youtube presenters involved. So you're looking at about 40 minutes all told. Don't watch if you want a 1 minute summary.

I'm liking the look of that channel - How To Make Everything. 6 months to make a chicken sandwich, because he's doing it from scratch and that means growing the wheat to make the bread :)

Caporegime

that's pretty cool :D

something slightly chilling about that though, when I clicked on the video to look up the talented person who created it I saw the following:

Buy the song here! http://scottgairdner.bandcamp.com/tra... particularly appreciated because YouTube took off the ad revenue :(

now I can understand that youtube doesn't want people to profit from 'hate speech' or from videos depicting violence or illegal acts etc.. but defunding a comedy skit is rather dubious (obviously some advertisers won't want their ads associated with the subject matter but certainly not all)

Man of Honour
[..]
now I can understand that youtube doesn't want people to profit from 'hate speech' or from videos depicting violence or illegal acts etc.. but defunding a comedy skit is rather dubious (obviously some advertisers won't want their ads associated with the subject matter but certainly not all)

Youtube's demonetisation system has little or no connection to hate speech or videos depicting violence or illegal acts. It's an extremely wide sweep, so wide that nothing is safe. To make matters worse, Youtube refuse to give content creators any information about what's not allowed, not even vague hints, nor does it tell content creators why their videos have been demonitised. Political (especially centrist and right wing, since Google itself is very heavily left-biased) and historical channels seem hardest hit, but nobody's sure about anything because there isn't any information available. In a recent highish profile case Youtube entirely removed a channel (Thegn Thrand) because the content creator politely asked why their entire channel had been demonitised and for a person to look into it. The channel was reinstated after tens of thousands of complaints, but the content creator was never given any information about anything and was left to guess what (if anything) was the reason. He is guessing that it's due to a video he made several years ago about feudal Japanese clay pots that some people think might have been used as some form of explosive. He didn't show how to make one, of course, just testing to see if they might have been used that way (and no, they couldn't except perhaps as a psychological weapon since they had hardly any destructive effect). Or maybe it was something else. He'll never know because Youtube never gives out information. Content creators, even very large ones with supposedly special access to Youtube, get to talk to bots being passed off as people. Maybe numerous other channels have been deleted entirely by a bot and the channel creators have no option to even "talk" to a bot about it. That's a special favour Youtube does for very big channels only.

A content creator can ask for a bot to review the bot that demonitised a video, but only after it's been made public and watched at least 1000 times. They might even end up with a person reviewing the decision. If they're very lucky it might only take as little as a week. In that time, of course, the video will have got most of the views it's going to get and the content creator gets nothing.

Many of the people on Youtube are also using Vidme now because they can't know what will happen to their Youtube channel. Maybe it will be deleted tonight or tomorrow or the next day. Patreon is doing well out of this, since many Youtubers who previously got enough money from ads to cover their costs and maybe even live off it now require patrons to support them or have to find their own sponsors to advertise for (which Youtube is taking steps to stop since they don't get ad revenue from that).

The problem, essentially, is that Youtube has far too much video to be managed in anything like an effective way. It's something in the region of 400 hours of new video per minute. There's no way it can be managed except with bots, which will never work. Right now, they work very badly indeed.

Man of Honour
can I trial all these new things. being a cripple in old age scares me more than death. Watched far too many relatives stay alive due to modern medicine but have no useful life and in pain.

Back
Top Bottom