Z4/M Owners Thread

Associate
This thread may die but I thought it might be useful as there seems to be an increasing number of people either owning a Z4 or looking to buy one. So a thread containing any useful information on them and a list of who owns what could be useful (instead of lots of post filling up unrelated threads). Plus any pics of peoples cars.

Nothing useful to add to this thread yet but ill start the owners list of anyway. Ill try and keep the op updated with any useful posts/links etc.

BadgerUk: Z4Mr
grudas: Z4c 3.0si
gord: Z4Mr
Invertigo: Z4r 3.0i
Psycho Sonny: Z4r 3.0i
Uncle Gravy: Z4r 3.0i
alx: Z4 35is
9designs2: Z4? 3.0i
hurfduf: Z4Mr
TomO: Z4 35is
thecremeegg: Z4r 3.0i
Will Gill: Z4 35is
dk345: Z4 35iS
BusError: Z3 2.8

Common Issues:
  • Third rear brake light - will crack if bolts are tightened you want them nice and loose, but tight enough to stay on.
  • Vanos - the seals are made of rubber and crap - replace them with third party Teflon
  • Roof motor - in a stupid location, get it relocated into the boot
  • Disa valve - made of plastic, can break off and go into engine causing complete engine failure. replace with aluminium parts. easy DIY for £60.
  • Crap battery - if you have a tiny small cheap battery in yours it will cause all sorts of false readings (alarm going off all the time, gearbox warnings on dash, etc)
  • Amp in boot - prone to die especially if you have a leaky boot. might be worth looking into making it waterproof, relocating, or selling them and upgrading the head unit at same time they go for £200+.
  • Electrical steering - prone to overheating. never let your blowers blow hot air at your feet. some people have drilled holes into a certain part then spray grease into this every so often to keep it lubricated and cool.

Last edited:
Soldato
I feel like we're going to be told to get back in the BMW owners thread..

But I'm a Z4MR here too. Just had the car Inspection 1'd, she's going to need discs and pads all round soon and the rear brake lines are starting to corrode. :(

Associate
OP
Cool I will add you to the list.

Maybe but we shall see. I don't see any harm in having a thread containing useful info for a very small section of BMW's you could buy.

Think I have my inspection 1 (might be 2) in 2k miles time which would have been in Feb had I not got the second car. Hopefully my new discs last longer then a year this time.

Caporegime
I feel like we're going to be told to get back in the BMW owners thread..

But I'm a Z4MR here too. Just had the car Inspection 1'd, she's going to need discs and pads all round soon and the rear brake lines are starting to corrode. :(

Z4r 3.0i

rear brake lines you can just get away with going over them with a wire brush then quick polish before MOT. there is nothing wrong with them it's usually just aesthetics usually, but they will fail an mot unless you do as i say.

issues with the cars are;

third rear brake light - will crack if bolts are tightened you want them nice and loose, but tight enough to stay on.
vanos - the seals are made of rubber and crap - replace them with third party teflon
roof motor - in a stupid location, get it relocated into the boot
disa valve - made of plastic, can break off and go into engine causing complete engine failure. replace with aluminium parts. easy DIY for £60.
crap battery - if you have a tiny small cheap battery in yours it will cause all sorts of false readings (alarm going off all the time, gearbox warnings on dash, etc)
amp in boot - prone to die especially if you have a leaky boot. might be worth looking into making it waterproof, relocating, or selling them and upgrading the head unit at same time they go for £200+.
electrical steering - prone to overheating. never let your blowers blow hot air at your feet. some people have drilled holes into a certain part then spray grease into this every so often to keep it lubricated and cool.

Soldato
Yay our own thread.

spread the Z4 Love.

Say no to Foxes! ;)

7tv.jpg

7BD.jpg

kZD.jpg

w8Q.jpg

Associate
OP
Z4r 3.0i

third rear brake light - will crack if bolts are tightened you want them nice and loose, but tight enough to stay on.

Mines cracked all over. On my list of things to sort out over the next week or so. Stupid light.

Inclined to say this should just go in the BMW thread :/

I cant see the harm. This thread will either be useful to some people or will die off. Sure the server can cope with a new thread :D

Caporegime
the vanos issue can go undetected. if your car has done over 40k miles. it needs doing. your car will still work fine just a loss of torque in the lower revs. if it's gotten really bad you will hear a clicking noise coming from the vanos itself.

Mines cracked all over. On my list of things to sort out over the next week or so. Stupid light.

I cant see the harm. This thread will either be useful to some people or will die off. Sure the server can cope with a new thread :D

clear brake lights are cheaper than red. the leds within are still red just that it's got a silver backing and clear front over red. i bought one and got a garage to fit. i explained to them the issue. guess what? they over tightened them and boom 2 weeks later new one is cracked in fact it completely split off. i did a bodge job as a temp fix. i've just gotten another light and i'll be keeping the receipt this time for warranty purposes. i believe the old receipt the garage just chucked in the bin along with my inspection 2 service report.

you need a deep 8mm 6 sided socket. extension won't work it needs to be a deep socket. alternatively screw off the black panels on the boot and if you have small hands use a spanner in the gaps.

you can order new springs which have half the tension in them. it's worth doing this as they are only a few quid. however you really do need to keep the bolts loose even with new springs.

z4forum is your best resource for this kind of stuff.

Associate
OP
the vanos issue can go undetected. if your car has done over 40k miles. it needs doing. your car will still work fine just a loss of torque in the lower revs. if it's gotten really bad you will hear a clicking noise coming from the vanos itself.

Mine is on 50k now and it feels the same as it did at 25k but having the vanos done is on my mind. Not really sure i want BMW to do that job and don't know anywhere around here to do it.

Rear light ill just get BMW to do it most likely if i don't have the right tools to do it when i get it serviced next.

Edit: Saying that I just had a quick google and there is ETA motorsports near me if anyone has used them before.

Last edited:
Associate
Mine is on 50k now and it feels the same as it did at 25k but having the vanos done is on my mind. Not really sure i want BMW to do that job and don't know anywhere around here to do it.

Rear light ill just get BMW to do it most likely if i don't have the right tools to do it when i get it serviced next.

Edit: Saying that I just had a quick google and there is ETA motorsports near me if anyone has used them before.

I may be wrong here, but I'm sure the VANOS seals are only an issue on the M54 engine (so the 2.2i, 2.5i and 3.0i), the S54 in the M and the N52 in the 2006 onwards don't seem to suffer from it due to a different design, believe it's the filters on these that get clogged rather than seals deteriorating.

As I said I may be wrong but worth investigating with other M owners!

Soldato
I don't have one anymore, but had a 3.0Si roadster for just over a year recently, loved it. Also on z4-forum so happy to be part of this thread and lend any advice :)

Back
Top Bottom