Z77X-D3H, 3570k and 1600Mhz Memory Woes

I think I have a rev 1.1 board mate! Best way to check is on the motherboard its self, correct?

Things seem stable, but only if I up the Vcore over stock. It seems I must have got a bad chip or something...the only way to keep the system stable, even at stock speeds, is to slightly increase the voltage! Doesn't seem right really...

Hi Chris,
I'm going to revive this thread because I also have the BSOD 124 issues with the same setup as yourself, although my memory is slightly different. Here is the setup:

Z77X-D3H (Rev 1.0) - F19f Beta Bios
3570 Ivy Bridge (Not K)
Corsair 8GB Vengeance (CML8GX3M2A1600C9)

I am not interesting in overclocking this particular PC, I just want it to run stable stock! I too am playing with increasing VCORE to get a stable unit, which is definitely helping but I am yet to find a suitable VCORE. I've run Prime95 tests without failures for around 30 mins, but I can quite easily BSOD or restart the PC by playing Far Cry 3.

I raised stock VCORE from 1.195V to 1.210 and 1.220 so far but still haven't solved it. I should mention I am running the X.M.P Profile 1 to actually utilize the RAM and run it at 1600 as tested by Corsair themselves.

I too have spent hours changing PSU, running Memtest on RAM only to find the stock setting of the Z77X-D3H appear to be unstable for this Ivy Bridge CPU. I am considering sending it back as faulty, I still have my 2550K which has no issues on this Mobo at all.

I'd love to know what settings you eventually used to get your rig stable. I've also been reading about disabling Speedstep (EIST) and C3/C6 States but haven't ventured into this much yet.

I'm running Kingston hyperx Genesis ddr3 2gb sticks 4gb @ 1600 @ 1.65v but set manually on a z77 d3h with no issues so far with a i5 3570k passed 30mins occt linpack test at stock with cpu on less volts than stock could share my bios settings if helps.

Last edited:
am using the gigabyte ud3h with near set up as you with a 4.5 oc. if like me and got a chip that needs more vcore,so at a guess you might need a bit more vcore am at 1.32v

My cpu vcore for my i5 3570k @ stock was only 1.045v with optimised defaults. Yours @ 1.245v is quite a bit higher that's the only thing I can notice.

UPDATE (07/05/2013) I did actually have BSOD issues after thinking I'd fixed it but check my latest post for how I think I've fixed it for good (fingers crossed!)

[ORIGINAL POST]

Well I've managed to get it stable now, no BSOD or crashes at all. I was re-reading the thread and noticed another post with details of thier stable VTT, which read 1.068, mine was set to 'Auto' at 1.050.

I manually changed the VTT figure to 1.065 and have not had issues since. The VCORE is still at 1.210 at the moment, I might try putting it back to 'Auto' and seeing if it remains stable.

Note for others, I initially had EIST and C3/C6 states disabled but this made no difference to the BSOD so they are now back to optimised defaults.

Last edited:
Hi Chris,
I'm going to revive this thread because I also have the BSOD 124 issues with the same setup as yourself, although my memory is slightly different. Here is the setup:

Z77X-D3H (Rev 1.0) - F19f Beta Bios
3570 Ivy Bridge (Not K)
Corsair 8GB Vengeance (CML8GX3M2A1600C9)

I am not interesting in overclocking this particular PC, I just want it to run stable stock! I too am playing with increasing VCORE to get a stable unit, which is definitely helping but I am yet to find a suitable VCORE. I've run Prime95 tests without failures for around 30 mins, but I can quite easily BSOD or restart the PC by playing Far Cry 3.

I raised stock VCORE from 1.195V to 1.210 and 1.220 so far but still haven't solved it. I should mention I am running the X.M.P Profile 1 to actually utilize the RAM and run it at 1600 as tested by Corsair themselves.

I too have spent hours changing PSU, running Memtest on RAM only to find the stock setting of the Z77X-D3H appear to be unstable for this Ivy Bridge CPU. I am considering sending it back as faulty, I still have my 2550K which has no issues on this Mobo at all.

I'd love to know what settings you eventually used to get your rig stable. I've also been reading about disabling Speedstep (EIST) and C3/C6 States but haven't ventured into this much yet.

I had similar problems with my new rig, changed the motherboard, memory and psu but still no good. Eventually diagnosed a faulty 3570k processor. Replaced with a 2500k and it's run perfect ever since.

Update: 11/05/2013
The following day, the BSOD errors have returned, completely intermittently. Sometimes at idle, sometimes under load. So I've given up, I believe the CPU should run at default BIOS settings and frankly this makes it more unstable. Therefore, I decided to RMA the CPU. I purchased a 3770k instead, been running it now for a few hours, played some Far Cry 3, done some load testing and general PC use without issues. I think the 3570 was at fault, especially since the original 2550K never had any issues either.

ORIGINAL POST:

This may be worth a watch, I started by following this guide. Auto is apparently bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBEeXajbG2o&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Really great video! Thanks! After a good long watch, I believe I have fixed the stability problems completely (40 mins on OCCT without issues). I believe the fault laid primarily with the VTT being too low for my memory when running at 1.5V.

I changed the following settings after research & watching that video!:

F7 Optimised Defaults
Advanced Frequency Settings > Advanced CPU > All set to 'Auto'
Advanced Memory > X.M.P Disabled
__ System Memory Multiplier > 16.00
__ Performance Enhance > Normal
__ DRAM Timing Selectable > Quick
__ Channel A Timing, set manually to actual RAM timings (9-9-9-24) in my case.
__ Command Rate (tCMD) > 2
__ tRC > 41

Advanced Voltage Settings
__ 3D Power Control
_____VCore Loadline Calibration > Extreme
__ CPU Voltages
_____VCORE Volts > 1.125V
_____PLL > 1.875V
_____VTT > 1.125V
_____IMC > 1.120V
__ DRAM Voltage > Set manually to 1.5V

That's all from rough notes/memory so I hope that works for others with similar issues. As I said, I believe it's all to do with VTT and IMC primarily. I've read VTT should be no lower than 0.5V of DRAM Voltage to avoid stability issues. In addition, IMC should be 0.005V lower than VTT.

The issue was definitely more prominent (if not guaranteed within seconds of boot) when DRAM was set to 1600Mhz opposed to 1333Mhz. Therefore, I presume the stock Gigabyte settings were not giving the memory controller enough of a boost to support the new RAM timing.

One last thing, with my older 2550K, I had no issue running at 1600Mhz with X.M.P enabled but I don't know if it was actually running at 1600Mhz as the mobo manual says 1600Mhz is only achievable with an Ivy Bridge, NOT Sandy Bridge!?

Who knows.....I'll report back if I have any more stability issues!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom