Zenith Salary Sacrifice Scheme

Permabanned
Does anyone use Zenith for their companies car leasing?

If so can you give me an idea of how much the cars range from per month, ideally something like a fiesta.

New employer is enrolled in this and it may work out cheaper for me to get a company car, which comes fully insured than to pay through the nose for my own car to be insured.

Are there any downsides to this, seems like the cars are all maintained by the company so zero cost to me which looks great. Not looking to do more than 5-6k a year really so milage isnt too much of an issue.

Man of Honour
I can't comment on that exact provider but a Fiesta from the mob who do our car scheme is between £200 and £250 a month depending on model for a 4 year lease. Obviously a shorter lease is more. Plus you've got company car tax to worry about which for a 20% rate taxpayer could be ~£275-300 a year and will increase year on year as the tax bands move.

That's a heck of a lot of money to spend borrowing a car which is never yours and you can't get shot of if you don't like.

Soldato
Few guys at work are on the scheme, complete waste of money really. Some are paying nearly £250 a month for a Fiesta. Others are similarly ridiculous, £350 a month for a BMW 116d.

TMP

TMP

Associate
Surely they'd be better off doing a retail PCP scheme? I was looking at doing this, as a higher rate tax payer I think it can work out nicely, but my company never went ahead with it.

Soldato
Few guys at work are on the scheme, complete waste of money really. Some are paying nearly £250 a month for a Fiesta. Others are similarly ridiculous, £350 a month for a BMW 116d.

A few hundred pounds a months for a brand new, fully maintained, insured and taxed car every 3 years isn't too bad really. Sure you will be paying for the convenience and there is always the option to buy it at the end.

Man of Honour
A few hundred pounds a months for a brand new, fully maintained, insured and taxed car every 3 years isn't too bad really. Sure you will be paying for the convenience and there is always the option to buy it at the end.

You don't always get the choice to buy it as it's a lease not a pcp. Plus it often IS expensive, ie you can get the same car for less elsewhere.

Soldato
I've had two cars (2 year leases) through a Zenith scheme with my employer and am about to order a 3rd.

I compared PCP schemes for similar cars and I found Zenith cheaper considering it included:
  • Insurance - Big factor for me with a few accidents in my history and living in a high risk B1 post code. I also added family members/friends at no extra cost.
  • Tyres
  • Tax
  • Servicing
  • No deposit necessary
  • European insurance and breakdown (I took one car on a massive road trip to Italy and the other to Spain).

You're also paying for the service, which I found faultless. Cars delivered and collected to any location, servicing organised at short notice, tax discs just arrive in the post and they managed an insurance claim very efficiently. The second time I also forgot to request my european documents and they sent my insurance docs to me by email within 20mins the day before my holiday at no charge! I'm not sure how much of this is Zenith or my employer but I honestly can't fault it.

I've been given the option to purchase both cars at the end of the lease, but they were at market value, better off looking elsewhere.

Just mock up a spreadsheet with your choice of car with estimates of the above running costs. If you want a no hassle new car, I think it's a good option. If you'll consider used that will more than likely be significantly cheaper.

Other things I noted in the scheme:
I don't know if I've just been lucky, but I've returned both cars with what I would consider unreasonable scratches/dents on them which I couldn't be bothered to get fixed. I never got charged anything even though they were noted by the driver collecting the vehicle.

Exit costs are crazy high if you decide you don't want the car anymore, but you can transfer them between people at work for a very small fee.

If you don't get a car allowance and claim mileage at the HMRC rate of 45p a mile most of that will be taxed as a benefit in kind (the difference between the fuel amount of 18p per mile and the maintenance up to 45p - those figures might be slightly out of date now though!). This doesn't apply if you have a car allowance rather than claiming mileage.

I pay it just for the no hassle motoring - I know whatever happens I've got a car sat outside for work and if anything goes wrong someone will collect it from my door with a courtesy car. I don't need to sort insurance annually, send off any forms, just a fixed monthly amount and forget about it. (This mean't I could put all my concentration on my MX5 track day car... :cool: ).

Soldato
[TW]Fox;24823638 said:
But how much do you pay and whats the car?

I don't know if they're specific to my employer's scheme, but last time I looked a Fiesta was in the region of £240 a month for a 125bhp Ecoboost Titanium, or £330 for the new ST. (10k miles p.a.).

They've just started asking for insurance details in the quoting process so take these with a pinch of salt. It's easy to run quotes when you get access to the scheme.

Man of Honour
Lots of money for a Fiesta then. The road tax is cheap anyway, it will only need one service, so this stuff being included is of little benefit.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;24823902 said:
Lots of money for a Fiesta then. The road tax is cheap anyway, it will only need one service, so this stuff being included is of little benefit.

Can you find one that beats it?

Taking the ST for example on PCP from Ford:

Deposit £3k, £243 monthly over 2 years. If you take the deposit over the life of the car it's the equivalent £125 a month (just for comparison sake). So there it's £368 total a month with no insurance.

Unless I'm missing something? Genuinely interested here as I want to order one this week.

Soldato
Looking at those quotes I think they're already 3 years :o My bad, didn't customise them. About £15-20 a month more expensive for a 2 year lease.

So yes I would be looking at comparing those prices to a 3 year deal in the market.

Man of Honour
You also need to look at the change in your net pay and use that as the actual cost of the deal to ensure you are considering the company car tax and tax savings for salary sacrifice.

Soldato
Well out of that my insurance is probably worth almost £2k for the 3 years, maybe more. I got through a set of tyres on my last one - £400 estimated?

So it might sound a lot but I don't think it's too unreasonable considering dealer prices.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;24824230 said:
So it works out at just under 12k to rent a Fiesta for 3 years.

There has to be a cheaper way than that, that's a lot.

It's not £12k for the just the Fiesta though is it. The car costs are probably about £10k over the 3 years.

Basically the options are

Lease : pay less but give it back
Buy : pay more and own an deprecating asset at the end.

Back
Top Bottom