Advice on Sky, Sky Go...

Permabanned
Do they give you a portable satellite that I can take with me when I go away for weekends with multiroom??

The whole point of Sky Go is the Go part, you keep babbling on about this multiroom ****, If they offered a £10 addon for Sky Go that give me more devices/changes I would buy it, as it stands they dont.

You receive Sky Go over wifi or 3G......you do not need a satellite dish, portable or otherwise.

and maybe they should charge per device to those that want to circumvent the terms and conditions of the service. You could also subscribe to sky Go without the Sky Subscription if you wanted......

Associate
OP
Im not trying to dredge up arguments, just thought I'd follow up so people thinking of getting Sky Go Monthly Ticket or Sky for the "free" Sky Go addon, dont.

After a LENGTHY chat with a Sky Advisor last month I was told that if I waited till 1st of July (it apparently resets your devices every month) I would be able to add two devices but not remove any for another month as 'one change' is either an add and remove, two adds or two removes.

So my wife registers her laptop while shes working down south this week, today I come to register my laptop and what a surprise, I cannot register the device, I phone up and they fob me off with a faux apology for the wrong information I was given and now I have to wait till 1st of AUGUST before I can add my laptop, at which point I wouldn't be able to add another device.

Roll on March 2013 so I can dump sky.

Soldato
Im not trying to dredge up arguments, just thought I'd follow up so people thinking of getting Sky Go Monthly Ticket or Sky for the "free" Sky Go addon, dont.

Why though?
I have Sky and I've not had a problem with Sky Go and my two allowed devices.

Infact, even if I did, it wouldn't be a reason to leave Sky.

Associate
OP
It is a reason to leave Sky, the only reason I got it was for Sky Go when I'm not at home, and that is a lot.

I've already had to wait a month because of a screw up with my system I had to format it losing the security cookie thing that Sky Go leaves on your PC, on the "advice" of the Sky CS Agent I removed that device ready for this month so I could add both laptops, my wife added hers and now I can't add mine for ANOTHER month.

I understand that it has to have restrictions to stop account sharing and the like but there is no margin for error, if something goes wrong with one or both devices you are screwed and you have to wait 2 months just to get two devices registered again.

Soldato
You seem to have changed your story now though.

Previously you said that you had devices registered as a laptop (which you had to reformat) and thus were waiting until you were able to put the licence on again. The other item registered as a device was your wife's tablet.

Now though, you are saying she has taken the licence that became free again and used it on her laptop? So now you have to wait another month because the devices registered are her laptop and her tablet?

Associate
OP
You seem to have changed your story now though.

Previously you said that you had devices registered as a laptop (which you had to reformat) and thus were waiting until you were able to put the licence on again. The other item registered as a device was your wife's tablet.

Now though, you are saying she has taken the licence that became free again and used it on her laptop? So now you have to wait another month because the devices registered are her laptop and her tablet?
I haven't changed any story, the devices get reset at the start of the month, two slots were free yesterday, my wife registered her laptop which she has down south with her this week, she didnt take a tablet as she is doing work on the laptop, I can see her laptop on the "my devices" section of my Sky Go settings and an empty slot, when I try and register my laptop it says sorry unable to register device.

Soldato
Probably would have made more sense to register your laptop first, given what a stress you had over it, then your wife could have carried on using it on her tablet anyway... no?

Associate
I was in the same situation, got a new phone roughly about the same time as I formatted my PC, so I removed both devices, thinking I could add 2 back on. Unfortunately, I done this at the start of a month, so I had to wait almost a full month to register my phone, then another full month to register my PC. Clearly, some people on this forum get unbelievably defensive of a free service, but it doesn't stop me from being annoyed at this ridiculous system which didn't let me use it for 1/2 months. Even though I had no devices registered I couldn't register anything for a full month. I also got in touch with sky but just got a stock reply.

2 Devices is terrible anyway, There's 3 adults here, all with smartphones, laptops, PC's, tablets etc... (We have multi-room in 2 rooms by the way, seeing as someone earlier in the thread said that people without MR shouldn't get Go or some other ****). Luckily I'm the only one who uses Go, which lets me have it on my phone and my PC. 2 really isn't enough.

Last edited:
Associate
I think they must have changed something with Sky Go recently. I use it on an iPhone + Laptop. Recently the laptop wouldn't let me log in, as it said I had used up my allocation of devices. I logged on to check, and I only had the iPhone registered. I tried again from the laptop the next day, and it worked fine. Next week, the same scenario but this time the iPhone wouldn't work, which wouldn't let me re-register as I had already made a change that month.

Extremely frustrating.

Caporegime
This happened to me before, my first registered device was an Xbox 360, my other registered device was a laptop, I formatted the laptop and it became an unrecognised device. I'd made a change that month already, I didn't get my hair off, I just waited and changed it when I was able to seeing as it was my mistake.

:confused:

Permabanned
What part of "they reset the devices at the start of the month" is hard to understand?

When I logged in yesterday there were NO DEVICES REGISTERED.

I never had that problem.....I just waited until the cut off. My devices are not reset each month.

Last edited:
Soldato
What part of "they reset the devices at the start of the month" is hard to understand?

When I logged in yesterday there were NO DEVICES REGISTERED.

Alright calm down.

I was of the impression that your ability to change and reset a device was only once a month, however not that all your devices become reset to nothing. Was that something you asked them to do then? As I've never had my two registered devices reset to nothing at the end of the month.

Back
Top Bottom