Advice on Sky, Sky Go...

Soldato
That is the gist of it yes.

Ah well, going to dump Sky once my contract is up, I knew it was a mistake going with them.

Its not that bad really? I mean they use to charge for this service. You needed a Sky Player Multiroom or Sky Mobile TV subscription before. So it is actually free.

Soldato
Yup, I only got Sky for F1 and the ability to watch it on other devices, I can use iPlayer for free for the 10 races that BBC cover live.

Im not paying for something I cant use because of some ridiculous "but they give it to you for free so they can do what they want" ********.

Yeah they closed that loophole months ago.

well its not really ridiculous, if you could just chop and change devices, then why would my parents need to sign up to sky. just give them my login details and they can just register their devices as and when they wanted to watch it. likewise my brothers and sisters.
I don't use the service anymore, and hate skys customer support with a passion, but that doesn't mean they don't have the right to cover themselves against people abusing a service they are not obliged to offer.

Associate
Yup, I only got Sky for F1 and the ability to watch it on other devices, I can use iPlayer for free for the 10 races that BBC cover live.

Im not paying for something I cant use because of some ridiculous "but they give it to you for free so they can do what they want" ********.

Yeah they closed that loophole months ago.

On virgin you have to have a broadband/tv bundle to use the player, and to watch live iplayer you need a tv licence so not totaly free.

Soldato
I agree they should protect themselves but allowing you 2 device slots but only allowing you to add 1 device per month is a bit OTT?

not really, most people have a laptop/desktop and a phone/tablet. now, the chances of someone upgrading both of these in the same month is remote to say the least, no impossible, but not enough to warrant offering. why is 1 device not enough? surely you don't have to carry 2 devices with you to watch F1?

Associate
OP
not really, most people have a laptop/desktop and a phone/tablet. now, the chances of someone upgrading both of these in the same month is remote to say the least, no impossible, but not enough to warrant offering. why is 1 device not enough? surely you don't have to carry 2 devices with you to watch F1?
I had to reformat my computer which is enough to make my PC different enough to count as a new device, on the 1st ill be able to add my computer, then will have to wait a whole other month to be able to register another device.

Soldato
I had to reformat my computer which is enough to make my PC different enough to count as a new device, on the 1st ill be able to add my computer, then will have to wait a whole other month to be able to register another device.

so you are using your pc as a second tv saving yourself having to pay multiroom (which IS a paid option) and moan that this FREE equivalent is silly because it wont let you get around paying for mutliroom?

Soldato
Mountain:molehill tbh. If you have to reformat your pc more than once a month you have bigger problems to worry about than how you are going to watch Sky Go. It's a minor inconvenience, nothing more.

Permabanned
Adding or removing a device counts as one change, Sky Customer Services confirms as such. So if i add my device at the start of the month that is my one change for the month.

It's not a free service if you have to pay for it otherwise. I get it as part of my subscription package that I pay for.

It's a free service to subscribers of other services....as a subscriber you cannot remove the service for a reduction on fees...thus it is a free service.

You agreed to the terms so just wait the month and reregister your device or pay up your contract and cancel.

Soldato
It's a free service to subscribers of other services....as a subscriber you cannot remove the service for a reduction on fees...thus it is a free service.

Its not a free service its part of the subscription which you buy as a whole (and for many the main selling point of the package), i.e Sky Sports 2 isn't a free service you get with the sports channel pack its part of the sports channels.

Call Sky back and report this as a fault, they might be willing to change it for you, its the same machine, if Microsoft demanded you buy a new Windows licence every-time you reformat people wouldn't stand for it.

Last edited:
Soldato
I agree they should protect themselves but allowing you 2 device slots but only allowing you to add 1 device per month is a bit OTT?

How else are they going to stop it being abused then?

The whole reason you are not allowed to make more than one change a month is to prevent people from just lending one of their slots to a family or mate to watch something, then flipping it back to themselves again.

Permabanned
Its not a free service its part of the subscription which you buy as a whole, i.e Sky Sports 2 isn't a free service you get with the sports channel pack its part of the sports channels.

Yeah, it is a free service to sky subscribers.....if you do not subscribe to Sky Sports then you get the relevant subscription reduction....the same is not true of Sky Go you get it free if you subscribe to any Sky package, it isn't part of a fee package itself....thus it is a free service to all sky subscribers (content dependent on your subscription)

It is like going into a supermarket, buying a Sausage roll and getting another one free.....the cost remain the same whether you take the free sausage roll or not.

In any case the service has terms and conditions that are plainly laid out.....the OP accepted them and tbh, he is blowing it all out of proportion.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Call Sky back and report this as a fault, they might be willing to change it for you, its the same machine, if Microsoft demanded you buy a new Windows licence every-time you reformat people wouldn't stand for it.

Sky are not asking to pay for another licence though are they. :confused:

Soldato
How else are they going to stop it being abused then?

The whole reason you are not allowed to make more than one change a month is to prevent people from just lending one of their slots to a family or mate to watch something, then flipping it back to themselves again.

exactly. its a simple system to cover themselves from people abusing their service. maybe sky should just pull it all together or charge people the £10 a month per device like they do with multiroom to make everyone feel warm and cosy.

Soldato
Yeah, it is a free service to sky subscribers.....if you do not subscribe to Sky Sports then you get the relevant subscription reduction....the same is not true of Sky Go you get it free if you subscribe to any Sky package, it isn't part of a fee package itself....thus it is a free service to all sky subscribers.

It is like going into a supermarket, buying a Sausage roll and getting another one free.....the cost remain the same whether you take the free sausage roll or not.

In any case the service has terms and conditions that are plainly laid out.....the OP accepted them and tbh, he is blowing it all out of proportion.

Peoples argument is that you can pay for Sky Go as a stand alone thing without a sky subscription. In this instance though sky go is free as it a free addon as part of the sky subscription.

It does seem like a massive overreaction to such a minor issue though.

Permabanned
Peoples argument is that you can pay for Sky Go as a stand alone thing without a sky subscription. In this instance though sky go is free as it a free addon as part of the sky subscription.

It does seem like a massive overreaction to such a minor issue though.

Precisely.....it is a free service to subscribers....like the sausage roll is free to purchasers of another sausage roll.....

Back
Top Bottom