The Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q – a 27” 1400p 144Hz Monitor with G-SYNC

Associate
Samsung SA700 owner here,Really looking forward to getting my hands on this!

I've been wanting to go to 1440P for a while now,But didn't want to because of High MS input and getting back to 60hz.

So this monitor is like a gamers dream in my opinion,1MS,144HZ and 1440P with G-sync is just mind boggling.

Soldato
I really hate Displayport. My fiber optic "DP 1.2" cable came in, and it turns out it's not DP 1.2, it's 1.1 and they advertised it wrong. So, after scouring the internetz, (all of them), I can't find a single DP 1.2 solution to go beyond the max ~9 foot distance bandwidth limitation of a normal passive DP 1.2 cable.

So those buying this 120 Hz 1440P monitor, or a 4K 60 Hz monitor I hope you enjoy having your computer close to your display. :o

9 feet is 2.7 meters, which is plenty for most people

My pc is rack mounted off to one side of my desk and I had until recently a 3 screen setup and three meter cables were fine
The room my pc is in is only 4 meters long, ffs

Soldato
Well got some more info on this direct from ASUS. Some of this might have already been confirmed elsewhere but some key points:

- Premium TN panel is 8-bit without dithering, unusual for a TN panel as they're usually 6-bit+ FRC. And unlike IPS panels the dithering isn't always handled all that well.

- PWM-free (flicker free) backlight. Also a 'ULMB' strobe backlight mode which is part of the official Nvidia G-SYNC implementation. This does flicker by its very nature but it isn't the same as PWM flickering.

- There is no red power LED as I reported on my article and some other sources reported. There are some subtle red accents on the bottom bezel. One of the press shots was a bit dodgy and misleading and made it look quite clearly like there was a red power LED.

- 60Hz, 120Hz and 144Hz is supported at the native resolution.

- The target release date is end of Q1 rather than start of Q2. So April is looking likely.

Soldato
Some good info there PCM2 :)

144hz 1440p, lovely :D

I'm not all too clued up on monitors, could you give me a little insight into how an 8bit TN will improve upon my (likely 6bit) TN?

Soldato
Some good info there PCM2 :)

144hz 1440p, lovely :D

I'm not all too clued up on monitors, could you give me a little insight into how an 8bit TN will improve upon my (likely 6bit) TN?

It's a tricky question for me to answer. For one thing I often spend time telling people not to worry about a monitor being 6-bit + FRC (Frame Rate Control - dithering) vs. 8-bit. That is because normally we're talking about IPS or PLS panels where the dithering is actually so well implemented that most users wouldn't notice any negative consequences.

On TN panels, though, that's not generally the case. With 6-bit TN panels you often get dithering on many shades - some colours will appear to 'crawl'. This 'crawling' for lack of a better word is caused by the FRC dithering, which is also referred to as temporal dithering. Lagom has a good explanation of this on their black level tests which are also good at demonstrating the effect on 6-bit panels. Basically if the monitor wants to output a certain shade but isn't able to display it natively (6-bit limitation) it instead alternates between displaying a slightly lighter and darker shade.

6-bit TN panels will often suffer from banding as well where the dithering is ineffective or not used and instead some shades are simply not displayed. The Lagom grayscale gradient can show this effect quite readily. It should be noted that you can also get banding on an 8-bit monitor, particularly if you've modified it far from its native settings in the OSD and/or using an ICC profile. But the sort of banding you see on a 6-bit TN panel is usually much more extensive and noticeable. Because 8-bit TN panels are extremely rare (I couldn't name any off the top of my head) there may well be other related improvements. Some people cite some improvements to viewing angles (reduced colour shift) on an old Samsung model that used a rare 8-bit TN panel. Whether we'll see that sort of thing with the ASUS remains to be seen. Of course I do hope to review this model and find that out. :)

Soldato
If they somehow manage to get 1500:1 contrast out of this with usable dynamic contrast and the 8 bit then it might be alright. (unlikely)

Associate
It could likely be connected but you wouldn't get any benefit as HDMI doesn't even support 1080p at 120hz. Can consoles even output at anything higher than 1080p yet?

Back
Top Bottom