The Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q – a 27” 1400p 144Hz Monitor with G-SYNC

Soldato
What games do you play? Do you find g-sync useful when hitting max frames?

A bit of everything and even at 144hz you still get the benefit of lower input lag than vsync on, combined with a tear free image.

Actually, technically 10% LB has almost 500% less motion blur than G-Sync 144 Hz...

motion-blur-graph.png

Perceived motion blur compared to an actual graph though doesnt mean much in the real world. Honestly, I can't tell the difference between it on and off.

Associate
Objective data is way more useful than cursory subjective data (especially in regard to the mechanical way your eyes view motion). Pull this link up on your display at 144 Hz and then in 120Hz 10% Lightboost mode and I guarantee you will see a huge difference (you must have a high FPS compatible web browser):

http://testufo.com/#test=photo&photo=eiffel.jpg&pps=1440&pursuit=0&height=0

Last edited:
Soldato
^ That's the reason i'd rather wait till they can get Lightboost & Gsync working together at the same time, probably by then i don't see why it wouldn't work with Freesync as well.

Surprised they didn't try harder to get both working for this one though really. Guess they just wanted to get the screen out to be first?

Associate
I had almost decided I was just going to get one of those new AOC 144Hz monitors as it would be easier to drive 1920*1080 and easier on the wallet, but I read they use a PWN backlight (not flicker free), so the Asus is back at the top of the list. lol (my wallets not happy)

Soldato
I had almost decided I was just going to get one of those new AOC 144Hz monitors as it would be easier to drive 1920*1080 and easier on the wallet, but I read they use a PWN backlight (not flicker free), so the Asus is back at the top of the list. lol (my wallets not happy)

Wise choice.

Soldato
Tempted to sell up my benq and pay the diff to get this...

I don't see similar models coming soon... i mean Asus had to develop their own panel?!

4k gsync doesn't interest me as I want 120+hz.

What was initial batch size again?

I wonder how prices will eventually settle, £599 perhaps?

Last edited:
Soldato
IIRC The Panel is made by AU Optronics. I suspect that other companies trying to replicate this monitor will also run into supply problems with both the panel and gsync components.

Last edited:
Associate
Last edited:
Soldato
That hexus review makes it sound like gsync only works at 60hz mode, and not 144, but then they start talking about ulmb, so maybe they only tested 144 with ulmb

If so, the Acer 4K with gsync would be the better buy

Man of Honour
That hexus review makes it sound like gsync only works at 60hz mode, and not 144, but then they start talking about ulmb, so maybe they only tested 144 with ulmb

If so, the Acer 4K with gsync would be the better buy

The whole point of g-sync is to dynamically alter the refresh rate of the screen with the output frame rate of the graphics card. So it operates between 30hz and 144hz maximum, but certainly goes above 60hz. It is in the lower range 40-60hz ish where the benefits are most visible, but it's still useful at higher frame rates too

On the other hand if you don't use G-sync you can use the ULMB feature but only at 85, 100 or 120 Hz refresh rates. Not 144hz for some reason.. The blur reduction benefits are great

Soldato
I would run ulmb in desktop tbh and switch to g-sync for gaming regardless of what frames I was able to push, it's gotta always be a better experience with synced frames right?

One question not mentioned anywhere, does g-sync still work in 3D vision mode?

Back
Top Bottom