Skyrim - my story of woe :p

Soldato
There are also plenty of mods that will enhance combat to make it more difficult. Requiem & Sands of Time are two that come to mind. Install Deadly Dragons and Dragon Combat Overhaul, crank up the difficulty and see how Dragons should really fight.

That is the wonderful thing about Skyrim...if you don't like something, there's a mod that most likely changes it.

Cheers,

Oh I very much agree :)

I've added mods that have upped the difficulty, and adjusted other things to help me enjoy the game more. I've got one that improves combat mechanics for NPC's, and another that gives more level 25-50 enemies.

Another one I particularly like is something like 'detached perk tree' - means if you have the correct level in something, you can buy that perk. It can be called a 'cheat' but it lets me play the game how I want, rather than wasting several level perks just to be able to afford 1 thing I want in 1 tree. (Like gold investment in merchants, when your speech ability gets high)

Man of Honour
It seems to me that everyone, regardless of build, is investing in Enchanting. And most also do smithing.

Is that a fair comment? I'd been avoiding both of these completely, as I didn't want to raise yet another non-combat skill and level up even more.

I don't understand people who say this.

1. Dual casting is less mana effecient. 2.2x the power for 2.8x the mana cost.
2. I already run out of mana before the mob dies.

I have 270 mana, 160 health, and 100 stamina. You can see where I put my points. Mostly in magic.

Yet I do honestly run out of mana casting fireball before I can kill the harder Draugr (and other mobs, like Master Vampires, ghosts, or dragons). Case in point the Blood Dragon I fought (actually cheesed :p) at level 20. I had to refill my mana bar with potions about 5 times to kill it. It took half the potions I'd saved up to that point.

I've heard some people even say that Destruction magic is over-powered. I wonder if these are the people who max Enchanting early on, and reduce the spell cost to 0 - which is something of an exploit, you'd have to say.

I played destruction/enchanted single hand sword or something like that and it was fairly powerful - with a bit more understanding of the game and another 5 levels or so it would probably have been over-powered - after L10 or so Draugr were no problem at all.

Caporegime
OP
I'm really tempted to play a Magic character now because of this thread! Damn Fallout :p

Destruction (fire/frost), Restoration (self healing), Illusion (wards and silent cast) and Summoning (Distraction mobs) would be my skill set for this, although I'd probably use the SkyPerk Overhaul mod to sort perks out, but would still be OK using the normal skill tree.

Would do the enchanting later into the game to get some good spell reduction robes if I hadn't looted any and a better staff should it be needed. First thing to train then is destruction to 60+ ASAP and all should be well!

I can tell you how well/ not well that's going to work out :p

The illusion tree is literally useless unless you buy every perk. If you're mixing in destruction, restoration and conjuration too, you're going to be high level, but very weak.

There is no synergy between the various magic schools, or magic with non magic. I think that's my magic chars have sucked so bad. No synergy.

Basically, for destruction to be powerful you need not to level anything else. Same with illusion. If you take illusion as a secondary skill, your spells will be resisted 100% of the time due to not having all the perks to increase their effective level.

The Restoration tree is even worse. The Turn Undead spells are capped very low (20 is the max level they will affect), and there is a lack of perks to increase the effective level by much at all. So if (as I am) you are already level 20, adding Restoration will be useless vs undead, because none of your turn spells will EVER be able to affect them.

This is the crazy thing about the game. It really discourages mixing in a bit of this and a bit of that, because of the very strict level caps on the abilities.

You can't "mix in a bit of illusion", because you simply won't be able to cast on anything your level. Will only be of any use on enemies far below your level, which you won't have a problem with anyhow.

And the one spell Illusion has that would be useful apart from Calm/Fear/Frenzy is Invisibility. But you only get that at Expert level. Same with Alteration's Paralyze. Only at Expert level.

Also to the guy who said that 50+ he's overpowered: you do know that Skyrim's enemies stop levelling with you at 50, right? So all the levels you get beyond that you are over-levelled for the content.

It's at 1-50 that builds work or don't work.

I played destruction/enchanted single hand sword or something like that and it was fairly powerful - with a bit more understanding of the game and another 5 levels or so it would probably have been over-powered - after L10 or so Draugr were no problem at all.

It's a fair point as long as you don't mix in too many other skills. If you just took Destruction and 1H weapons, your level would stay low enough for the spells to hurt the opponents.

Start mixing in other skills, esp non-combat, and your level shoots up. Your destruction magic stays static, however, meaning you get to where I am. A cast of fireball eating 1/5 of my mana, and doing 10% damage to the opponent.

Skyrim basically rewards you for ignoring as many skills as you can! At least if you play mage.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Just to give an example:

A mage with 50 in destruction and nothing else, is max level 7. He will have access to Fireball and rip through opponents like butter.

A mage with 50 in destruction/conjuration/restoration/illusion (the idea of one poster above), and you are about level 25-30. You Fireball spell still does the same damage the level 7 pure destruction mage does. But now you face level 30 opponents. You summons will be about level 16. The level 30 opponents will shred that summon.

Now here's another thing.

If as a level 30 character, you decide to pick up a bow and start shooting things, it will work. You can pick up a good bow for your level, and things will die to it.

But pick up a new school of magic, like Illusion, and your spells simply will not work at all. Because, level caps. Not exactly fair, is it.

Caporegime
OP
You can get invisibility waaaaay before expert! It just costs a butt load of mana to cost is all!

C'mon - share the save file, I want a challenge! :D

Wrong. Nobody will sell the spell until you meet the skill requirement to cast it.

The only way to get Invis before 75 is to get lucky and find it as loot.

===You cannot buy any Adept/Expert/Master spell in Skryim without meeting the skill requirement to use it===

Yet another way magic is screwed.

e: Actually it's Skill_to_use -10. So Invis needs 65 skill in Illusion before you can buy it.

As I said before, I'm pretty sure it's -10 levels before you can unlock the respective perk, so,
novice: always available
apprentice: 15
adept: 40
expert: 65
master: 90

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/615803-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/62341075

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=94724480962900647991

"Worst Skyrim Build, Ever."

e: My guy is in Yngvild, at the start of the dungeon. He can't clear it for love nor money. He gets ghost-raped.

e2: I'm not saying it's technically not possible to clear it. Just that it's a complete PITA, and very, very slow/painful compared to a properly working build. You would for sure have to run from many of the encounters. Kite, etc. Use all the potions I have left (not many).

Probably you would choose to leave and go somewhere else :p Leaving a dungeon is for the weak!

Last edited:
Soldato
Can immediately see 1 MAJOR problem - not a single point into sneak! You already know you are made of the squishiest material known to man so why not lurk in the shadows? :)

Going down that tree instantly gets you some tasty backstab bonuses :)

Oh and quiet casting has been available to you for ages and you don't have a point in it!

Caporegime
OP
:eek:

You're a mage. You haven't been to Winterhold.

*facepalm*

There's no real benefit to going. I've already seen it on my first playthrough.

The only reason to go back is for master level spells, if you want them.

Attending the college is not a requirement of being a mage. :confused:

Can immediately see 1 MAJOR problem - not a single point into sneak! You already know you are made of the squishiest material known to man so why not lurk in the shadows? :)

Going down that tree instantly gets you some tasty backstab bonuses :)

Oh and quiet casting has been available to you for ages and you don't have a point in it!

My character hasn't ever swung a blade. Backstab isn't very magely, is it?

Anyway I will not be continuing with that char. I'll be re-rolling and possibly going for conjuration/restoration this time :p

Last edited:
Soldato
You had a sword with health leech as a primary weapon! :p

Abundance of soul gems (both paid and free), trainers in each spell class and early on a free Ward spell!

Some of the quest line also gives you gloves that give you unlimited magicka for ~2 hours realtime!

Last edited:
Soldato
So after buying 1 spell book (Frenzy, level 17 creatures/humans AoE spell) and 1 perk (Quiet casting) I'm laughing my way through dungeons.

Working towards getting some backstab bonuses because it never hurts to have an ace up your sleeve :p

Soldato
:eek:

You're a mage. You haven't been to Winterhold.

*facepalm*

Even I go there for soul gems and the archmage's quarters respawn every 10 days or so plenty of ingredients/enchanting loot in there and I'm not even a mage or into alchemy.

Not to mention the only black market source of black soul gems. And the Atronach forge. :eek:

Soldato
Was going to pick up Skyrim again, but decided to go back to Oblivion (with OOO) mainly for nostalgia. I'm now addicted. Purely my own opinion of course, but it's just so much better than Skyrim. The world of Oblivion just sucks me in totally - it's so atmospheric. Skyrim is an amazing looking world and fun to explore....but I just never feel "part" of it. Don't get me wrong, it's an awesome game. Oblivion is just something I "live" in more than I play though :)

Caporegime
OP
You had a sword with health leech as a primary weapon! :p

Erm, no I didn't... I may have looted some weapons to sell, but I'm telling ya, look at his 1 handed skill. He only has the starting skill for an Imperial, give or take.

So like I said, he's never swung a 1H except maybe in the starting area :p

His primary was always Fury/Calm/Fear, and I had to add destruction to finish off the last enemy :p

So tell me... how did you get on in Yngvild against the ghosts? :p

Soldato

During the quests you get a staff that does high shock damage, and the Mage's Circlet which gives good magicka (they are good considering the early levels you can get them). Also at the end you get the Archmage robes...

Back
Top Bottom