Will you change your diet because of Climate Change?

Soldato
I think giving up meat is silly. I do think the meat industry needs to be completely re-hauled though for all sorts of reasons. There is too much cheap meat produced and wasted. I think people generally should consume less meat than they should just to reduce the sheer quantities we need to produce.

The way we farm such large amounts cheaply require the heavy use of anti-biotics (far more than what is used in medicine for people). Wont go into why this is bad, there is a separate thread on antibiotics from a few days ago.

While i think lab grown meat is a cool idea, it is not viable at the moment due to production costs.

The health aspect of eating meat is bs. Yes too much meat is bad for you but only in stupid quantities of bad quality meat packaged with preservatives for longer shelf lives. You can lead a perfectly healthy lifestyle even if you wanted to put on huge amounts of muscle without eating meat. Many professionals are vegetarian and are healthy and built like brick houses, you gym nuts should know more than anyone else that variety of different proteins are available in vegetarian form.

Large retailers should be monitored on food wastage. I have worked in large supermarkets and have seen some of the smaller stores regularly throw out 3/4 cages of bread alone every other day. I have thrown away £3000 of Moet into a compactor for whatever stupid reason they gave at the time. Half a cage to a cage of meat was being thrown away daily rather than reduce it and take away sales from full price meat. If the general public knew how much they threw away and why, there would be outrage!

Dairy farming has significantly less impact relative to the return in food in comparison to meat farming.

Soldato
Already pretty much have. (however I still eat eggs and that industry is terrible in it's own way....)

Just stopped eating said things, also saves me money. It's also not just carbon emission, they chop down vast areas of the rainforest for cattle ranching.

I don't think a beef burger is a good trade for the rainforest. (Obviously different here as you can buy British/European beef yada yada).

But whatever.... humanity is retarded so nothing will change. Maybe i'll be lucky enough to laugh one day at everyone when they're crying how they destroyed the environment. Conservation biology was one of most depressing aspects of my time at university.

But you're better off going to reason with a rock than the average person to be a little more conscious about their decisions. It doesn't mean you need to quit eating meat entirely being being more aware of the industry / the impact it has is a start.

Last edited:
Associate
I eat farmed meat but wish I had the willpower to stop. It's just so wasteful and often cruel. I would be in favor of a move towards sustainable hunting; less but better meat also more wilderness instead of endless boring pastures.

Associate
No I don't care about the planet when I am gone I am gone for good so why should I care?
I know eating factory reared meat is about as immoral as its gets and I still do it, why? because I can.
If someone offered me a billion quid but told me some random dude on the planet will be tortured to death, ofc I would take the money.
Humans are selfish f888ers and only care about things that effect them or there family.

Man of Honour
Food wastage does look quite ridiculous at times, i'm not sure on the best course to tackle this though, but something should be done to bring it down. Mass supermarkets clearly one of the worst offenders.

It is absolutely massive, you start with commercial, which basically translates to supermarkets, ban them from dumping oddly shaped produce.

Associate
Soldato
It is absolutely massive, you start with commercial, which basically translates to supermarkets, ban them from dumping oddly shaped produce.

Or things that are about to go out of date so they dont sell reduced goods, or things that come to the end of their product cycle (not shelf life) or things just to save room in the warehouse for seasonal goods.

Hell, i have seen every excuse in the book to throw away food. It is absolutely disgusting that they do that and have the nerve to underpay farmers as well as cultivate this cheap crap food culture that has come about.

Soldato

Lol the picture of the local resident!

Mr-Rogers.jpg

'So like, can you stand in that tree? Y'know it gives a sense of nature and countryside and stuff'

Soldato
So.... if "The livestock sector produces about 15% of global greenhouse gases, roughly equivalent to all the exhaust emissions of every car, train, ship and aircraft on the planet." then that only accounts for 30% of all global greenhouse gases... where the hell is the other 70% coming from and why aren't we focused on that instead of burgers ffs?

Back
Top Bottom