** EKWB-PREDATOR - AVAILABLE NOW **

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
is the fan spinning when you get the whining noise?

return it to us if there is a real problem with it.

Permabanned

It only makes the noise when the fans are in the process of speeding up; once the cooler stabilizes at any speed the noise goes away.

I don't know if its a fan or the PWM circuits making the noise.

I'm going to try and fault find tonight, I'll disconnect one fan at a time and put some load on the system to see if I can isolate a faulty fan; but if the noise is coming from the pump or PWM circuit then I'll have to return it.

Cheers

Associate
It only makes the noise when the fans are in the process of speeding up; once the cooler stabilizes at any speed the noise goes away.

I don't know if its a fan or the PWM circuits making the noise.

I'm going to try and fault find tonight, I'll disconnect one fan at a time and put some load on the system to see if I can isolate a faulty fan; but if the noise is coming from the pump or PWM circuit then I'll have to return it.

Cheers

I've just installed my 360 1.1 (mini build log to log the experience being updated tonight). Not had any whine when I've been idling, calibrating or stress testing. Perhaps you're right in thinking the fan is suspect.

Soldato
Still not got mine installed, just after changing the fans to push, not sure if i'm going to change them out for my Noctua industrial fans since i've got the chromax White corners for them.

Permabanned

I've tested the unit with each of the fans individually disconnected and it made no difference.

I can only conclude that the noise is coming from either the pump or PWM circuit.

I've uploaded a video to youtube so you can hear the noise, I've also been in touch with EKWB directly and sent them a link to this video too.

You can hear the noise right at the start, then again from 15 seconds onwards when I manually speed the fans up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMc44i8mSSQ&feature=youtu.be

Soldato

Mine so far, still need Pexon to make me another matching 8pin pcie cable, only got one at the minute.

I COULD have done rigid tubing, i've got all the stuff here, just couldn't be bothered investing time in it just now.

Last edited:
Soldato
I also reversed the fans on mine to push.

I don't like the big drop from the cpu to the rad but not a lot i can do about it with this setup just now.

Last edited:
Soldato
So you've ditched your old WC setup and gone for a custom EKWB huh? Looks nice, interesting, and best of all, pretty easy.

Is that your chair in the background of one of those pics?

I remember i used to see pics of peoples watercooled pcs and say how i would NEVER do that because i had no idea about it and it was so complicated.

It's not at all, it's very logical and straight forward.

Just think it through and it all becomes clear! :) , not hard at all.

Soldato
I only keep that chair for guests now, using a dx racer king series now.

That one in the background is an orthopedic chair and cost more... i don't like it TBH.

Soldato
Ah, I see!

I think the only thing that could stop me using a setup like this is I'm starting to like my cases small - think like NZXT S340, as small as an ATX can go, so it wouldn't fit this rad most likely. For now I just make do with a Corsair AIO jobby.

DXRacer huh? Got a D series here but thinking of moving to some better for my back in the long run like a Leap. :D

Associate
Hi everyone,
Just pulled the trigger on the EKWB Predator v1.1 240mm however a bit of googling tells me I might have to cut out part of the top panel in my bequiet silent base 800.
Dont really want to.
Do you think I have enough clearance to offset it and let it hang over mobo and RAM?
Mobo is msi z170a titanium and RAM is corsair dominator platinum RAM (all arriving today!)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom