**** Official Fallout 4 Thread ****

Soldato
I couldn't do anything about some performance issues and stuttering at 1440p even with shadows on medium and godrays off so I just dropped the res to 1080p. First game I had to do that on an overclocked 970 but it now runs at 60fps with godrays and shadow distance on high:p I sit quite far from the screen so the quality loss is minimal and the game looks nice with that ENB. Anyways, 1080p is better than drops to 45 in dense areas and microstutter.

On a side note: settlement building is really addictive, even though kinda pointless. Never thought I'd get into that but it caught me by surprise:p I can see how people lose a lot of hours in this game. I'm eight hours in but all I've really done up to this point is one main story mission, a couple of quests for Garvey and random exploring/scavenging stuff:p

FTM

FTM

Soldato
I couldn't do anything about some performance issues and stuttering at 1440p even with shadows on medium and godrays off so I just dropped the res to 1080p. First game I had to do that on an overclocked 970 but it now runs at 60fps with godrays and shadow distance on high:p I sit quite far from the screen so the quality loss is minimal and the game looks nice with that ENB. Anyways, 1080p is better than drops to 45 in dense areas and microstutter.

On a side note: settlement building is really addictive, even though kinda pointless. Never thought I'd get into that but it caught me by surprise:p I can see how people lose a lot of hours in this game. I'm eight hours in but all I've really done up to this point is one main story mission, a couple of quests for Garvey and random exploring/scavenging stuff:p

best mod you can get is the unlimited settlement size, I love just tinkering with builds

just built a tower around the antenna at outpost Zimonja as its has great vertical space at this settlement..not a patch on greygarden or finch farm mind where you can build about 4 storeys on top of the overpass at both settlements..means great swathes of vertical space to build in

Soldato
283 hours in (according to Steam) and I'm only now hitting end game :D I've got the quest to build the Signal Repeater and I'm likely going to Railroad for it. I have all but three bobbleheads. Should I cave and search the wiki for the remaining three, or should I search the entire commonwealth for them? TBH I have no idea which ones I'm missing and I don't want to google it in case I spoil it and see their locations.

FTM

FTM

Soldato
some of them are in locations you dont have to visit as part of the main game but are picked up as side quests..vault 81 and pickmans gallery are ones I missed entirely in my first playthrough, and then stumbled upon them by accident.
some of them are part of companion quests...I think theres one in vault 95 which is Caites quest

Soldato
some of them are in locations you dont have to visit as part of the main game but are picked up as side quests..vault 81 and pickmans gallery are ones I missed entirely in my first playthrough, and then stumbled upon them by accident.
some of them are part of companion quests...I think theres one in vault 95 which is Caites quest

Thanks, I've got them. I succumbed to the wiki. They were in places I'd already been to and missed them ha :D

Soldato
Covenant is a weird settlement. Ages ago, I noticed I couldn't move or scrap the existing defence turrets and that they also weren't counting towards my defence rating. They did, however, attack hostiles as expected. I placed some more turrets and they instantly started attacking each the existing ones. It was a very cool fight to watch. Once my turrets finished them off, I had to use console commands to disable the broken, on fire turrets so I could build my own in their place.

Man of Honour
I have the same issue. Still have the old burning torrents there now.

Just can't work out how to get just one settlement to 100% happy :(

I have read that 12 shops should do it, assuming that the settlement has enough food and water and it either isn't attacked or can kill attackers in a trivially easy way.

I now have 999 defence at Sanctuary, which is surrounded by a wall about 20 feet high except for the one gate (which has ~500 defence by itself, with 3 levels of heavy machine guns and heavy lasers and a walled passageway into the city which is lined with more turrets). Due to the extra height of the walls either side of the entrance to Sanctuary, even enemies attacking Red Rocket get slaughtered by the upper levels of Sanctuary's gate defences unless Red Rocket's defences get them first. Attacks on Sanctuary don't reduce happiness because they don't last long enough for settlers to even see the attackers.

Soldato
I have read that 12 shops should do it, assuming that the settlement has enough food and water and it either isn't attacked or can kill attackers in a trivially easy way.

I now have 999 defence at Sanctuary, which is surrounded by a wall about 20 feet high except for the one gate (which has ~500 defence by itself, with 3 levels of heavy machine guns and heavy lasers and a walled passageway into the city which is lined with more turrets). Due to the extra height of the walls either side of the entrance to Sanctuary, even enemies attacking Red Rocket get slaughtered by the upper levels of Sanctuary's gate defences unless Red Rocket's defences get them first. Attacks on Sanctuary don't reduce happiness because they don't last long enough for settlers to even see the attackers.

That sounds epic mate. Got any screens?

Does anyone know which location I'm looking for? It was a shop/museum from memory, but it had some seriously tough (well they were when I discovered it) bots/sentrys. I forgot to write it down to visit later and have no idea where it is or what it's called. Any ideas? It's not the general autonomics museum, nor is it that weird Mr Handy/Gutsy location with the boxing ring etc.

EDIT: Found it. As soon as I posted this and went back to the game, bizarrely it was the first icon I hovered over in the map! It was Hester's Consumer Robotics! Strangely enough, I was able to OSK the sentry bot. Finding this location at about level 14 (on medium difficulty) and returning later at level 83 (Very hard difficulty) shows just how overpowered I am now ha.

Last edited:
Soldato
So I'm about to side with a faction. I'm still on my first playthrough from release day (~290 hours!!) so hitting the end is going to feel very strange. I haven't gotten the perks of every follower, but have done most. Currently got Danse following me but he's annoying. In literally less than an hour game time he's now my best friend and sharing life secrets with me. Like Skyrim, Bethesda have sold out... thye just want to appeal to the masses without putting much effort in. I mean, walking around the Railroad with Danse and no issues? Walking into BoS base with Strong or Deacon? Really?? I wish the game would reward/punish decisions better. There is almost zero consequences in quests :(

Man of Honour
That sounds epic mate. Got any screens?

No, because it's pretty crude. Sanctuary was my first settlement and I hadn't learned how to build well within the restrictions of the rather crude building tools. I've only just finished a power grid and proper accomodation. Until recently, my settlers at Sanctuary were living in a single storey one room dormitory shack. Now they have individual furnished rooms in a nicely built apartment building. When I've scavenged and traded enough materials, I'm going to demolish the old dorm shack and build a gym (I've been gathering weights and bars from the boxing gym). Then the shopping centre, lounge and inn should be completely rebuilt because it's another early building and it's too small and simple. Then there's the basketball court, the bowling alley, the library, the cafe by the tree with tables for chess players...there's a lot more I want to do.

The defences are extremely effective, but they're not really impressive. If you build a wall ~30 feet high (as mine is for some way either side of the gates) it's easy to build a wide ledge at ~20 feet and another at ~10 feet. You're really just building 3 walls next to each other. Turrets along the ledges is just a matter of placing them, once you've acquired the materials. My power grid runs the whole way around the interior of the wall (and to buildings via pylons on poles) so power for the laser turrets is straightforward. The walled entrance passage killzone is just more wall. It's also irrelevant, since no enemies can reach the gate.

Mods and playtime are the keys. I haven't cheated myself any materials, but I have of course removed the building limit, added more building sections (1x1 foundation blocks are very handy for weapons ledges and neater fitment of walls to the irregular edges of the allowed building area) and more power generators (I almost exclusively use fusion generators that provide 20 power each because they're don't feel like cheating - they're already in-game and the power to size ratio doesn't seem excessive). With a few hundred hours of playtime, you can scavenge and trade for the huge amount of materials needed. But my building is still mostly crude. I'm slowly making nice buildings for settlements, but the defences were the first thing to go up and they're all about function. They're not much to look at, just simple stuff repeated a lot. 999 defence is the limit, by the way. You could build a thousand heavy turrets and you'd still have 999 defence.

Soldato
New Survival mode is so hardcore it even makes game crashes more permanent! I was clearing out Concord's sewers when the game crashed so thoroughly it totally wrecked my AMD drivers. I had to faff about with Display Driver Uninstaller in safe mode to even get Windows running again! Now that's immersion right there.

That annoyance aside, I'm really enjoying the new mode.

Soldato
New Survival mode is so hardcore it even makes game crashes more permanent! I was clearing out Concord's sewers when the game crashed so thoroughly it totally wrecked my AMD drivers. I had to faff about with Display Driver Uninstaller in safe mode to even get Windows running again! Now that's immersion right there.

That annoyance aside, I'm really enjoying the new mode.

I did't know it was out, or are you on the beta program?

Associate
Had a couple of hours on survival mode today and while I love the mechanics of it (although thirst and hungry need a serious tweak, it's like their values are set for twice the timescale the rest of the game runs on) after twice losing progress due to crashes it can **** right off there with the saving and lack of console. I already have stability problems in my vanilla game, I've already had broken quests I had to console past certain stages of, no way I'm playing a version where such things are just the end of my game.

When the official patch comes out and twenty minutes later modders restore full functionality I'm all over that mode.

Soldato
Argh, I'm actually getting annoyed by the power armour. I keep finding the buggers! I haven't worn power armour in over 150 hours, other than to transport them to base. I could just leave them, but for some reason I'm compelled to collect the ones I find. I'm have about 30 of them now. Most are in a dedicate two story building in Red Rocket, others are just randomly dumped at other settlements with cores in so people can nick them when they want.

BTW, I'm near the end of Act II. I'm holding off siding with anyone until I get Danse's perk. I haven't noticed any synths in my bases yet? When does that happen or how would I even notice?

Soldato
I'm the same with the power armour, got everyone I came across parked at sanctuary. Never really used it as they kinda took the sheen off it giving it to you so early in the game.

Soldato
Power Armour is a funny thing. Loath to wear it because of the consumables, but by the end of my last playthrough I had something like 40 fusion cores I was lugging around. I think it's more the PITA to keep removing it if you want to sleep etc.

Speaking of my last playthrough I did the Institute ending this time. IMHO by far the best in terms of the end battle. Despite being L55 and relatively OP I died several times. Actually feeling a bit sad now as that was the last ending I needed to clear, having bagged the RR, BoS and both Minuteman endings. Really want an excuse for another run, but probably need a rest as I've been hitting it fairly solid since December. Might fire up FO3 or NV for a nostalgic play, then there's a couple of other games I still need to finish...but FO4 for all the warts does get under your skin. Only my mega-play of Mass Effect 1, 2 and 3 back to back a couple of years ago left me at a loose end when it finished.

FTM

FTM

Soldato
So without revealing anything, is the DLC worth the money?

Haven't read anything to avoid spoilers, but fell out of love with FO4 after finishing the main storyline.

I like it..it adds a couple of interesting quests, but also adds a whole new faction to attack your settlements and new armour sets to scavenge once you have despatched them

plus now I have sentry bots at a few of my settlements

as part of the cheap season pass deal..its a solid start

Back
Top Bottom