**** Official Fallout 4 Thread ****

Soldato
I'm the same with the power armour, got everyone I came across parked at sanctuary. Never really used it as they kinda took the sheen off it giving it to you so early in the game.

Yup exactly. They're supposed to be some elite thing that you should earn. Instead, they're all over the place, in not even that hard to find locations, and given to literally within an hour of gameplay. Like why couldn't Preston or another NPC climb up and get it? They've done it to appeal to the masses and unfortunately all it does is add to the 'dumbing down' feel.

I have something like 5 X01 suits now, most of them complete too. I'm going to mod them all up and give them to the railroad when I come to the end game. I might make a script that will allow me to 'placeatme' them all, as obviously I don't know exactly when the final fight will occur, as I'm still on my first playthrough.

Power Armour is a funny thing. Loath to wear it because of the consumables, but by the end of my last playthrough I had something like 40 fusion cores I was lugging around. I think it's more the PITA to keep removing it if you want to sleep etc.

Speaking of my last playthrough I did the Institute ending this time. IMHO by far the best in terms of the end battle. Despite being L55 and relatively OP I died several times. Actually feeling a bit sad now as that was the last ending I needed to clear, having bagged the RR, BoS and both Minuteman endings. Really want an excuse for another run, but probably need a rest as I've been hitting it fairly solid since December. Might fire up FO3 or NV for a nostalgic play, then there's a couple of other games I still need to finish...but FO4 for all the warts does get under your skin. Only my mega-play of Mass Effect 1, 2 and 3 back to back a couple of years ago left me at a loose end when it finished.

So play them again, with all of the DLC :D Epic games. There are few mods out for the games now, making ME1 especially pretty for its age :)

Associate
Only just getting into modding Fallout and loving it. Is there a mod that lets me change sex mid game but keep all my stats etc ? Playing a male but all the cool gear etc seems to be for female. Thanks.

I played Fallout3 when it came out and just hated it, it felt so clunky and it seemed like i needed entire clips of ammo to overcome anything, even with VATS. Fast forward to FO4 and i LOVE it, multiple play throughs and it never gets old.

Now over the last couple days i reinstalled FO3 to see if i can grow to love it and i still hate it! Are there mods or DLC that make it feel like FO4? Am i being to harsh as i hear people say FO3 is better than 4 but i just cant gel with it at all :(

Soldato
Only just getting into modding Fallout and loving it. Is there a mod that lets me change sex mid game but keep all my stats etc ? Playing a male but all the cool gear etc seems to be for female. Thanks.

It can be done via console command but I don't know it off the top of my head.

Soldato
I played Fallout3 when it came out and just hated it, it felt so clunky and it seemed like i needed entire clips of ammo to overcome anything, even with VATS. Fast forward to FO4 and i LOVE it, multiple play throughs and it never gets old.

Now over the last couple days i reinstalled FO3 to see if i can grow to love it and i still hate it! Are there mods or DLC that make it feel like FO4? Am i being to harsh as i hear people say FO3 is better than 4 but i just cant gel with it at all :(

Agreed - as noted above thought I would take on a melee build in FO3 similar to my last start on FO4. Collated the best builds I could find on Reddit, secured the baseball bat from Vault 101...and proceeded to get pwned. First by a radscorpion outside Super Duper Mart (starting Moira's quest), then by the raiders inside. VATS only gives three swings at most compared to 5 or 6 on the similar build in FO4. I also grew quite fond of the new perk system in FO4, FO3 seems... limited.

FTM

FTM

Soldato
just saw the trailer for the new DLC..its amore about building and has new floor options..but more importantly, farmable planters....a saviour for Jamaica plain or hangmans alley where I will be able to build planters onto raised floorspace!!!

Soldato
Sick game, only just got to Diamond City after almost 20 hours and it's just because I needed a doctor to cure my chem addiction (was out of bloodpacks and couldn't make a cure myself):D Currently level 18 and considering starting Automatron so that I could craft some nice companion robots:p Quite hyped for Wasteland Workshop as well, new options to expand settlements and the ability to capture creatures will be epic.

One question though, I've noticed that my carry weight has dropped from 275 to 260 after getting addicted to chems and it only went back up to 270 after getting clean. Is this a bug or have I just permanently crippled my stats from addiction:confused:

Soldato
Automatron appears to have stepped up the difficulty somewhat which is nice. Good story too

Yes as I noted a few days ago the robots are much tougher than the vanilla ones albeit the downside is more settlement attacks, it seems.

One question though, I've noticed that my carry weight has dropped from 275 to 260 after getting addicted to chems and it only went back up to 270 after getting clean. Is this a bug or have I just permanently crippled my stats from addiction?

Your carry weight does seem to change dynamically, for some reason. Also, have you changed any armour - e.g. a pocketed item replaced by non-pocketed? This will take a few points off your capacity.

Quite hyped for Wasteland Workshop as well, new options to expand settlements and the ability to capture creatures will be epic.

Me too. Still struggling to find much interest in retro FO3, now thoughts are turning to a fresh FO4 build ready for the crafting add on. How does this sound?

Strength - 6. You need plenty of muscle to lug stuff around.
Perception - 2. Combat not a priority in the early game.
Endurance - 3. Again, avoiding combat puts overall health on the back burner.
Charisma - 6. Need to start building the Local Leader perk to get the links and stores set up.
Intelligence - 3. I pondered this one for a while, as low intelligence stops you getting the scrounger and scrapper perk, also Gun Nut and Science for better defence. However in the early stages I figure the procs from Idiot Savant are more beneficial, albeit you would need to start building Intel quicker than might have been the case.
Agility - 3. Not a priority in the early game.
Luck - 7. Needed to get the Idiot Savant perk and probably not a bad idea to build up Criticals given the low state of your other starting combat attributes (Rockville Slugger could come in handy again!).

Soldato
Yes as I noted a few days ago the robots are much tougher than the vanilla ones albeit the downside is more settlement attacks, it seems.

Your carry weight does seem to change dynamically, for some reason. Also, have you changed any armour - e.g. a pocketed item replaced by non-pocketed? This will take a few points off your capacity.

Me too. Still struggling to find much interest in retro FO3, now thoughts are turning to a fresh FO4 build ready for the crafting add on. How does this sound?

Charisma - 6. Need to start building the Local Leader perk to get the links and stores set up.
Intelligence - 3. I pondered this one for a while, as low intelligence stops you getting the scrounger and scrapper perk, also Gun Nut and Science for better defence. However in the early stages I figure the procs from Idiot Savant are more beneficial, albeit you would need to start building Intel quicker than might have been the case.
Luck - 7. Needed to get the Idiot Savant perk and probably not a bad idea to build up Criticals given the low state of your other starting combat attributes (Rockville Slugger could come in handy again!).

If you're playing on the new survival mode, level of tiredness will affect strength and endurance.

Soldato

Still struggling to find much interest in retro FO3, now thoughts are turning to a fresh FO4 build ready for the crafting add on. How does this sound?

Now that you mention it, I did change some pieces of armor before getting cured, stupid me. That's that, then:p

Regarding builds, my highest stats are Strength, Intellingence, and Endurance at 7/8/6 respectively. I admit, I should've put more thought into it but I'll just go with the flow. I've already gotten a couple of helpful perks and plan on putting most points into Agility and Luck to get all the perks I want. The rest I'll probably dump into Charisma (currently at 3) to get Local Leader. I might leave perception at 5 as the hit chance bonuses don't seem to be that high.

Soldato
At what level is it safe to start Automatron? I'm currently level 18 and wanted to give it a shot before starting the main storyline. Is it a bad idea?

Soldato
At what level is it safe to start Automatron? I'm currently level 18 and wanted to give it a shot before starting the main storyline. Is it a bad idea?

A tricky one to call. I did it about L45 and still died a few times, mainly as the play-through was melee based and as I noted a page or two ago, a couple of the new enemies go nuclear on death, taking you out along with them. I think it depends to some extent where you've put your skill points. Ranged combat is going to be the order of the day so you definitely want to wait until you've got a few gun skills upgraded and Gun Nut 1 or 2 so you can get the HP rating of your weapons up. Without posting a spoiler, for the final stage of the campaign you're going to need both Endurance (for health) plus reasonable Agility (VATS points) and Luck (get the Criticals).

Unless the difficulty scales, would suggest waiting to around L30, make sure you have a good modded weapon (Overseer's Guardian maybe).

The upside of the campaign is that you get your own "Real Steel" companion who pretty much renders all the other in game companions redundant once upgrade.d Oh and yes, you're going to need points in Intelligence and Science plus Robotics to achieve that, albeit that can be left until post quest.

I just wish Beth had changed some of the vanilla game dialogue to reflect the reactions when you turn up with Maximillian from Black Hole in tow!

Last edited:
Soldato

Yeah I'd say so but I'm playing on hard.
I'm lvl 43 and got my ass handed to me, even in Power Armor so I've not tried since then.

I found the Prototype UP77 "Limitless Potential" laser rifle last night so am currently working on upgrading that and collecting as much ammo as possible for it as it kicks behind, my plan is to have a go at the DLC with that and see how far it gets me.

Soldato
Thanks for the insight, didn't realise it's that hard. Level 20 atm. My Strength, Endurance and Intelligence are quite high and I'm working on Agility and Luck (both at five now with first levels of Action Boy, Gunslinger and Scrounger). Maybe I'll hold off till I'll be able to dump some points into Science/Hacking etc. I also want Mysterious Stranger and most VATS-related perks.

Soldato
The perks are an issue early game as there are quite a few you really need quickly. Aquaboy being another one so you don't take rads travelling through water.

didn't realise it's that hard

Yes it was a humbling experience at L45 being able to one or two strike Assaultrons in vanilla to find myself getting pwned!

FTM

FTM

Soldato
The perks are an issue early game as there are quite a few you really need quickly. Aquaboy being another one so you don't take rads travelling through water.

Yes it was a humbling experience at L45 being able to one or two strike Assaultrons in vanilla to find myself getting pwned!

I'm level 52 and just got melted by an assaultrons face cannon..even with ballistic weave and armour on top!

Soldato
Seems like I'll need Robotics Expert to go through this relatively unscathed;p

Regarding Aqua Boy, I've prioritised Action Boy, Life Giver and Toughness since the radiation you get from water is fairly minuscule and I've got plenty of Rad-X. Besides, I didn't find myself travelling through water/diving all that much.

Basically, I'm doing everything to increase my survivability, damage output and VATS performance before tackling Automatron while dumping an odd point into Charisma or a perk I think I need;p

Back
Top Bottom