• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Pascal Titan-X Launch

Associate
That's my thoughts and what I suggested early. A new Titan, call it black or z and a 1080ti slotted in between.

Both would sell.

Yup. When you also consider that around the sort of time Vega with that level of performance is expected to release. At that point they would need a more affordable card at that tier anyway, the 1080ti directly replacing the TItanXP with 1 or 2 fewer SM's and a clockspeed bump is the most straightforward.

Wait For Vega.. Actually don't, it wont deliver.

It will hit that performance tier, just not at low prices which people still expect. They will be priced according to the competition equivalents at the time, which I don't expect to fall much - other than the GP102 (TitanXP die) dropping into a vacant price slot ~$699-799 region. In a way Nvidia are doing AMD a favour if they maintain their pricing structure.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Caporegime
Or they needed to do something with GP102 chips that did not make the grade for the full fat compute cards.

GP102 is not a compute card per se, that is the GP100.

GP102 was always meant as the high end gaming chip. GP100 is for HPC and deep learning.

Caporegime
If NVidia can sell someone a Pascal Titan instead of a 1080 it only increases their profit.

Having said that the two cards are aimed at different markets.

The profit difference is huge since with the Titan there is no middle man. 1 Titan must be equivalent to something like 5x 1080s, 10x 1070 and 20-30x 1060s sold.

And that's what some people never realize when they go on about market share in the mainstream segment. Profit margins are really small, and if you are trying to undercut your competitor by $30 then your profits become very weak and barely sustainable. Selling millions of cards at near production cost is mostly a waste of time, which is why AMD struggle to make any profit quarter on quarter, unless they sell off chunks of the company to the Chinese.

Associate
The profit difference is huge since with the Titan there is no middle man. 1 Titan must be equivalent to something like 5x 1080s, 10x 1070 and 20-30x 1060s sold.

And that's what some people never realize when they go on about market share in the mainstream segment. Profit margins are really small, and if you are trying to undercut your competitor by $30 then your profits become very weak and barely sustainable. Selling millions of cards at near production cost is mostly a waste of time, which is why AMD struggle to make any profit quarter on quarter, unless they sell off chunks of the company to the Chinese.

It's why I think Polaris, in its current form, is in part about filling their wafer quota with GF without it hurting them financially. They need a chip to be manufactured (to avoid penalties) and that will sell in decent volume (so as to not have to write off stock X months down the line).
I think AMD should take advantage of Nvidia's pricing and not go with an excessive price/performance strategy. As bad as it would be for consumers in the short term, it would help boost margins and hopefully revenue from selling gaming GPU's.

Associate
Write here to all interested in reading, including Nvidia people!!!

I purchased one of the new TitanX Pascal from Spain on august 2nd (first hour after release) and still waiting for it when nvidia.es have shown stock (still showing) and 1-3 working days for delivery since that day.

I contacted Digital River and they dont know what its happening. Its a problem only with spanish web since the card is being received in other countries. Seems like discrimination!!!

So, please, Nvidia, solve the problem. You got my money since august 2nd, I dont have the card neither a good explanation of what is going on!!!

Very disappointing!!!

:(

Soldato
Write here to all interested in reading, including Nvidia people!!!

I purchased one of the new TitanX Pascal from Spain on august 2nd (first hour after release) and still waiting for it when nvidia.es have shown stock (still showing) and 1-3 working days for delivery since that day.

I contacted Digital River and they dont know what its happening. Its a problem only with spanish web since the card is being received in other countries. Seems like discrimination!!!

So, please, Nvidia, solve the problem. You got my money since august 2nd, I dont have the card neither a good explanation of what is going on!!!

Very disappointing!!!

:(

Espero que se convierte en imagen para usted pronto mi amigo. Debe ser uno pequeño mono frustrado por el momento.

Soldato

Probably open test bench + also it was cold at the time.. but that is definitely not what you would get with the default fan, it would get up to 84c.

For example the first week when I got my FTW, I thought it was very hot, it got up to 78c, but also it was a heatwave in UK and was about 30c... now in normal temperatures it does not go over about 72c.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom